Bullet/Powder Advice for 54 cal Knight WA Elk

BRUSHBEATER

I'm getting back into muzzleloading this year & want to try a new bullet & powder combination instead of using black powder. I will be hunting elk in Washington State & we must use lead bullets. I was thinking of trying 777 powder but am not locked into using that yet & I am not sure what is the best bullet to use. My smoke stick is a 54 cal. Knight predator.

Any suggestions on the optimal load & bullet at least to start?

Thanks
Mike

I would look at 80 to 110 grains of 777 with a Thompson center maxiBALL (430 grain). NOT maxiHUNTERS.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Heres one more idea gleened from Idahoron's posts:
Try a lubricated felt wad between the powder and bullet, it helps Idahoron get smaller groups and the guys shooting BPCR competition use similar techniques with the old buffalo cartridges like .45/70.
Also look at the grat plains bullts from Hornady.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-07 AT 10:14PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-07 AT 09:55 PM (MST)

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll see what I can get locally. Any thoughts on what my maximum range would be for elk? 100-120 yards?

Not sure why they named them the way they did, but the way it was told to me, the maxiballs are designed for bigger game for better penetration. The maxihunters expand quicker and are more for deer sized game.

My personal max range with open sights and a maxiball is 100 yards, but you would probably be ok ballistically out to 150. I just can't shoot accurately with open sights that far. Some can.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom