Bullet question for 7mm Rem Mag.

N

NMRaptor

I recently bought a 7mm Rem Mag to be my "all-around" rifle for hunting mulies, elk, bou, sheep. My question is what "all-around" bullet would you recommend for this. I don't reload so I'm looking to use factory ammo in one maybe two variations in grain size. What are you opinions on 160 gr Winchester Partition Gold? What about Federal 160 gr Nosler Partition?
-Raptor

Federal is now offering the 7 mag ammo loaded with the 160 grain Nosler Accubond. It is designed to perform like a partition and has a bonded core. The boattail, long length, and resin tip(like on a ballistic tip)gives it a high ballistic coefficient. The Federal website has the ballistics posted. Another good bullet to use would be the 160 trophy bonded bearclaw in the Federal loading.

Doug/RedRabbit

Federal premium ammo with 160 gr. Nosler partition would be a hard combination to beat - can not go wrong. It is tempting with some of the new bonded bullets to drop down to 140 gr. and flatten trajectory (3200fps) however I always go back to that old saying - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

combined technology 15o's do a good job and so do the horniday 162 grain factory loads.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-04 AT 06:17PM (MST)[p]My son doesn't reload and he shoots Federals with the 160 grain Nosler Partition. It's a very accurate load and does the job on anything he'll ever want to shoot. I have loaded 160 grain Nosler Partitions for elk and deer and am very satisfied with the accuracy and performance of the bullets.

Load a Barnes TSX bullet and dont look back.
Great bullet, IF your rifle can shoot them accurately.

.....i shoot 160 grain sierra soft pointed boattail matchking.....with reloder 22 powder at max load and non magnum primers...this load drops around 20" at 500 yards when sited in 3 1/2" high at a hundred...it shoots about a 10" group at 500 yards in mine...if you don't want to reload you can buy the factory 160's in Federal Premium....this bullet stays together and expands nicely....

If you are looking for a factory loaded round in the 160 grain catagory you have plenty of choices and the ammunition companys are doing there utmost to keep up with the new premium bullets that are coming out. As mentioned in a previous post Federal is promoting the 160 grain Nosler Accubond. I myself have handloaded and hunted with the 7 mag for a number of years and have tried and tested a number of the premium bullets. Personally, I have stuck with Nosler for the last several years. I have been using a 175 for elk ,with all shots being 1 shot kills. The "ole" Partition is still a time proven bullet. However, the 160 Accubond is going to be my new elk and deer round for the coming season. I know of friends that had great success on Bear, Elk, and Deer with no issues of bullet integrity, and these were high velocity shots at close range, which is really the true test of the construction and effectiveness of a bullet. You may have noticed that there are some that handload "match bullets" for hunting purposes. Fast, flat and accurate,? sure, predictable and deadly performance on an elk or a big muley? uh uh, it's a recipe for heartbreak and or a long tracking job. I know of several that have found this out. Since you are buying Factory ammo, ( and it's gotten very good) try some 160 grain loads with different manufactures and then use what shoots best in your individual rifle, use 5 shot groups and then shoot em again! When you find one that really blows your skirt up buy several boxes of em, that way you can be reasonably assured that you will have consistent performance during your hunting season with the same lot of ammunition. Best regards and good luck with the good "ole" 7mag, Scott

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-04 AT 05:58AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-04 AT 05:53?AM (MST)

NMRaptor : I should have told you about the matchkings....I have never had any problems with them....but they do not expand as much as a partion bullet does....to use these bullets you have to be (able to shoot)...I have no problem shooting deer in the head with them at 250 yards or 8" to 10" groups at 500 yards.....and thats why i use them....The last elk that was shot was around 300 yards and had an exit hole the size of a softball through the lungs...he went about 30 yards....but as Eastforkhunter said this just is not enough for some people...even though thier is not much difference between matchking bullets verses gameking by federal....

Mathckings are not recomended by Sierra for hunting at all! They're match bullets not hunting bullets. They are accurate yes, but reliable... NO! Why take a chance on somthing that can be avoided. Your "you have to be able to shoot" argument is laughable! Who here would admitt they can't shoot.

I'd pick any preimeum bullet such as Barns, Nosler, Hornady, etc. as some others have said. The only think keeping you from killing your elk is a bullet. Why chose one that isn't even recomended for hunting? Shooting deer in the head and trying to kill a large boddied bull elk is totaly diffrent. I've seen elk absorb more lead than a dog whitetail weighs!

I reloaded some by accident thinking they were gamekings because Sierra sent me the wrong ones.....I was like you and thought matchkings were for the range.....and in a smaller caliber gun i would of probally notice a differnece....but I didn't in the 160's 7 mag.... for respect of the animal we hunt i shouldn't of said matchkings but gamekings as they are about the same....anyway if you ever try them on a elk...your jaw will drop as mine did....its something about the hollow tip on these bullets i guess.....but every thing i have shot, has a ungodley exit hole....and (argument is laughable)...for get it i am not arguing with anyone...its an opinion...something i have tried with success or i wouldn't have posted it...and the reason i said you have to be able to shoot was as any experienced marksman would know.....its either 75% shooter and 25% bullet or 25% shooter and 75% bullet......

This is not about what bullet would be best although I would lean towards the federal ammo myself.
Yesterday I had to drive over to Sacramento, CA and on the way home had a fellow come by me in a pickup and with personal license plates as follows: 7MAG IT

Brian

If a manual told some of the people here that cars are no longer for driving on blacktop .....half the people here would stop driving ! ! No commonsence at all! its sad really ! !

I hunt with MK's. Seen a lot of deer killed with them too.

Yes, Sierra say's that they are not a "hunting bullet".

But, I and others think that they are a very effective bullet on game.

I have seen and read about a lot of differant hunting bullets not perform as advertised. Thats right, hunting bullets blowing up on game.

I refuse to argue about if it's ethical

These threads can get pretty heated.
I say if you do fine, and if you dont fine.

Hunting with Matchkings is NOT ethical. Go ahead and shoot your deer with them, but here in Montana, deer and elk are hunted at the same time. The Matchking is no "match" for 600 pound critters. Some will want to argue and have great successful stories. I am fairly educated about bullet construction, and using a Matchking or similar bullet where a shot is marginal or bone or paunch is encountered will be nothing but disasterous. Common sense should lead one to this conclusion. Don't mean to be brutal, but mistaking components in handloading can also be disasterous. There are many highly accurate well proven bullets out there for hunting. We owe it to the game we hunt to use them. mtmuley

mtmuley, I do appreciate your view, though I do not agree.

I said that Sierras company policy is to steer someone from MK's to other bullets for hunting. NOT ALL Sierra tech's share this view that MK's dont make good hunting bullets, especially at long range.
Your opinion is duly noted, and respected sir.

RANGERCON, I guess that is why there is chocolate AND vanilla. Maybe SMK's work at LONG RANGE. Maybe they don't. Personally, with the caliber I use, and the game I pursue, I must use a bullet up to the task. While I adamantly disagree with the use of paper puncher bullets for hunting, I have come to realize people will use them. I just hope someday the bullet in your chamber can do what it is supposed to if it is an SMK. As for the long range aspect.....Something for another topic. I also respect YOUR opinion. Have you tried any of the new "hunting bullets"? I.E. Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond, Swift Scirrocco? These bullets maintain accuracy while still holding up at long and short range impacts. Especially at high velocity. Although I have read the forums praising the highly accurate type bullets,(SMK,A-MAX,Berger,ETC.) I cannot in good conciense fire one at a live game animal. Except maybe varmints. Anyway, I have heard all the good on match bullets for game, and have seen some of the bad. I don't want any of the bad happening to me. mtmuley

mtmuley, I think we are on the same page. If I hadnt used the SMK before, as well as many friends, I would not even dream of recommending them. I normally shoot deer with them. Never have shot an elk with them. Never have shot an elk, sad to say. But, I know many that have successfully.

I did recommend the Barnes Triple Shock before in this thread.
Superb bullet.

We have shot deer here on the East coast that had an exit wound you could throw a cat through. Perfect performance, everytime I have used them. Always had an massive exit wound, to say the least.
The BC on a SMK is very high. Higher than a lot of "hunting" bullets. I have seen more problems with Nosler BT's around here than you can imagine. I personally wouldnt use one of them. Some have had nothing but success with them.

No offence meant, gents. I have been through enough forum screamers, that I normally just dont post anything.

RANGERCON, don't know what you shoot, but for .30 caliber guys the new Nosler Accubond 200gr bullet has a bc of .588 Flies flat and hits hard. Especially in the BIG magnums. I used it this year with great success. Groups at 100 yards in my rifle average 7/16 for 5 shots. The Accubond has the accuracy of the BT, but in a tough bonded bullet. mtmuley

Tried the 200gr Accubond. While Iam sure that it is a terminal bullet, I cant any accuracy out of it.

I shoot a .300 Win mag Sako 75, mostly, with a 1:11 twist barrel. May be my problem. I will try the 180gr. which my Sako seems to like.

I tried the accubond to...I just could not get it to perform in my gun...I got it to group ok, but it seemed to hard of a bullet for whitetails...it just didn't do what i like(expand)....It would probally be perfect for big game and thick bones....The MK and GK have performed better for me on game from deer to elk than any other bullet i have tried....I like to see a bullet exit but, yet expand to the max....many of the bullets i have tried will either penatrate and not expand, or expand and not penatrate.

I have talked to Tec's at Sierra that will talk in detail about different bullets that were copied from MK'S, just for hunting...Yet some won't even discuss them for hunting.....gets back to the opinion thing...everone has a little different one.....I am not the person who can learn from a book...I would rather try for myself... just about anyone can through a bunch of words together.....I would rather decide for myself, if whats written is fact or opinion.....

Anyone ever remember you parents telling you as a kid.......(Son, only beleave half of what you see and nothing that you hear)The older i get the more this is true ! ! !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom