Bullet Recommendations for 54 cal.

BRUSHBEATER

Washington State just this year changed its bullet requirements from lead only to any bullet. ("New this year any type of projectile is allowed"). Previously sabots were allowed.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good bullet to use for deer & elk? I shoot a 54 caliber Knight MK-85.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BRUSHBEATER,
My Dad has the same rifle and last year started shooting the Barnes Expander in 275 grain. IIRC, he was shooting somewhere around 110 grain of black powder and getting great groups. As for terminal performance, he shot a nice buck that field dressed 208 pounds and a nice fat Doe. The buck was around 60 yards broadside and he put one thru the lungs with complete passthru. We were able to recover the slug and it looked picture perfect just like Barnes always shows. The Doe was around 125 yards with complete pass thru and no recovery.

I shoot a .54 knight as well. I have killed a couple bucks with the Hornady sst, but get really good groups with the .295gr aerotip PBs as well. I will hunt with the PB this year, as the other brands are getting harder to find in .54.

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom