Bullet type and weight

J

js_hunts

Anybody have any good suggestions for bullets for a .30-06 on my upcoming muley hunt. Im thinking about the barnes triple shock in a 165 grain. Any strong opinions?

That should work.. the most important thing is shot placement.. so make sure that the game is in your comfortable range, and that you can get good shot placement, and your combo ought to work just fine..

Good luck

Berger...168gr VLD Hunting
Hornaday...165gr SST

As stated before shoot what u are comfortable with and can shoot ACCURATELY!! Doesn't matter what as much as where. Remember thousands for deer have fell to the 170gr FN from 30-30's.

Wayne

I'd step down one weight with the TSX. The 150 gr TTSX is plenty for deer and even elk but the real answer would be to shoot whatever bullet you gun likes the best as long as it is a quality bullet.

I shoot a 7mm with a handloaded 150gr ballistic silvertip. It's always performed great for me on mule deer. My daughter shoots a .243 with a 95 gr handloaded ballistic silvertip with good results. They both seem to put down the deer.

I agree with fish you can easily drop down to 150s with those barnes and they will do a great job i shoot them in my 06 and my .300 ultra

JCHawk Partition by Nosler. I shoot the same bullet but in 180 for my RUM. You cant go wrong.

I have been using 165 gr accubonds in my 30-06 ever since they came out. I have not had an animal go more than 2 steps after putting one in the boiler room. Great performance!
I use IMR 4350 behind the lead and get sub 1" groups at 100yds. I'll stick with them. Best bang for the $$ IMHO.

I don't shoot an 06 but I do shoot a .330 Win Mag and a .270 WSM and a .270 and I use the Hornaday Innerlock. I have shot Muleys and Blacktail and the bullet has performed perfect not to mention the accuracy is the best I have ever gotten out of any bullet. Now I am reloading and playing with different types of powder to acheive this. I shot a Muley a few years ago at 50yds I hit him in the Rt. ham the bullet broke his pelvic went through the stomach and lodge up in the front shoulder. The bullet weighed 180gr. going in and weighed 160 when I got it back. To me that is pretty impressive and oh yea it mushroomed perfectly.

That is my experienc and I am a little bias toward these bullets just becuse I have had good luck with performance and accuracy.

Good luck,

Slide

I use the 180 Grain Barnes MRX in my 30-378 and I had a one shot high shoulder kill @ 348 yds a few weeks back in Wyoming. With the 06 I agree on the 150, but in the end....Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement is the Key and confidence in your own ability!! Good Luck

In a 30-06 it really does not matter what bullet you choose. The 30-06 has moderate velocity and does not need a controlled expansion bullet like the magnums. I would pick a bullet that shoots the best. If that happens to be a high end bullet, fine. Personally, I would rather load up a hundred loads with plain jane hunting bullets and practice more than buy one box of the supreme ammo. Deer are not hard to kill.

Go to the range and shoot the 150tsx and the 165tsx and see which on shoots best. I love barns and been hunting with then for over 15 years. I have used them in 22-250,243,257 weatherby,270,7mm,7mmstw,30-06, 300 win,30-378 I think you couldn't have picked a better bullet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom