Bullet weight decision??

BuckSnort

Long Time Member
OK, I'm finaly gonna get some Powerbelts and start to build a load for my .50 muzzleloader.

Here's my question........

Powerbelt has 3 different weight in the .50 cal
245gr.
295gr.
348gr.

Which weight bullet would be best for deer and black bear sized game? How about elk?

Also should I get the lead or jacketed?

For deer the 245's work well. With bear, I'd probably go the heaviest you can. Elk, probably the heavier bullet also. Also, the aerotips hold together much better than the hollowpoints. Buy the copper clad and never look back.

We too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We, and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees.-Franklin Roosevelt

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-03 AT 03:01PM (MST)[p]You'll probably get a lot tighter group with the aero-tips too.

I'd go with a package of the 295s & 348s to see what groups best with your gun--both these have higher ballistic co-efficient than the 245s and you'll probably get better groups than with the 245s.

For hunting loads, I'd buy enough to work up from 90 grains at 5 grain increments to see where you get the tightest groups. Some states have a 300 grain minimum for Elk...so you might want to look into the regs of where you are going for lightest legal bullet weight. Either would work fine for elk, bear and deer.

I'd just go with whatever load you can group the best cause the ballistic difference between the two isn't all that much as you can see if you look at the link:

http://www.powerbeltbullets.com/docs/balchart.pdf

If you're using 777, drop the max charge down 15%--150 gr. of pyrodex max. load means that the max charge of 777 = 129.5 grains. http://www.hodgdon.com/tripleseven/loadnote.php

I got my tighest groups south of 120 grains of 777.

That technique that Bluelk posted a while back is a good way to find a good powder/bullet combination.

Thanks for the help guys.I'll get some ordered soon so I can work up a load.I'm thinking about hunting bear with my muzzleloader here in CA this year,it should be a blast.Thanks again for the help.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom