Button-Rifled Versus Cut-Rifled

oregonmuley

Very Active Member
OK, I'm just trying to learn so I hope someone can help me out with some good info. For custom barrels, seems most are button rifled which is I think what most factory rifle barrel also do? Or am I wrong on that. Anyway, seems most are button-rifled, but there are a couple that make cut-rifled barrels. If someone wanted to build a custom gun and use a aftermarket barrel - this would be for a hunting rifle not a benchrest rifle, is there any benefit of one over the other, or are they both good as long as you use a good barrel maker, like say a Hart or Krieger barrel. Thanks and like I said just trying to learn.
Thanks
Frank

I'm not 100% on this but I think button is cut rifling. most factory barrels are hammer forged because it's fast and cheap,and you get what you pay for. two of the best gun builders out there, Mark Bansner and Lex Webernick both use Lilja and Shilen (or at least that's what they used on mine) so that tells you something. in my opinion if you want the best get a Lilja put on by a very good gunsmith with a match chamber. I've found it's cheaper to do it right the first time than to go the trial and error route thinking you'll save a buck, done that to many times.

Button rifling is done by pulling a broach through a drilled barrel, all grooves cut on the same pass. I think most factory barrels are hammer forged. A barrel is drillen then formed around a 'negative' mandrel to from the rifling. Cut rifling is done to a drilled barrel with a single point cutter, one groove at a time. I prefer cut rifling, hammer forged, and button in that order. I'm happiest with Hart barrels
http://www.hartbarrels.com/

I was hoping RELH would reply, he has given me some good information in the past - Hart barrels seem to be a really great barrel, but don't they button rifle?? Anyway, just trying to learn something and figure out which way to go. As it stands now, I'll be sending my rifle to Hart in the next day or 2 for a new barrel, and then the long wait to get it back!
Frank

When it comes to "which is best" there is pros and cons over cut vs. button rifled. Cut rifled barrels is the old methold, been around since muzzle loading times, button rifing is newer and does form all lands and grooves at the same time vs. one land at a time with cut rifled barrels. This helps to speed up the barrel making. some experts say that using a mandrel with the button rifle barrel, lends to a smoother finish on the barrel interior,they say the same for hammer forging, and cut rifling has a tendency to leave more tool marks from the cutter. but lapping a barrel can leave it as smooth as one that was button rifled.
I use mostly Shilen barrels and have had very good luck with them. I think it is more important to go with a brand that has made a name for itself in achieving very good accuracy. This is more important,IMHO, then how the barrel was rifled. Stress relieve of the barrel, total accuracy of the lands & grooves for the intire lenght of the barrel also play a very important part in the final accuracy. I prefer Shilen, due to getting very good accuracy at a reasonable price, but there is other makers out there that can deliver on a very accurate barrel.
Bottom line, for a hunting rifle, you do not need a barrel that was made for bench rest shooting and .150 ten shot groups, but if money is no object, go with the best and be happy, but even the benchrest crowd can not all agree on who makes the best barrel.
Also you need a good gunsmith to put it together, a poor assembly procedure can screw up the best barrel in the world.
RELH

RELH,
Thanks again for the info- I appreciate it. If money were no object, what would you suggest - not to say I can afford it but just wondering.
Frank

My self, I would go with a Shilen select Match barrel, a few others is Hart, that you mentioned, Lothar Walther is another. The best bet is talk to several top benchresters and find out what they are using. sometimes they will know of a small barrel shop that is turning out some very superb barrels. Douglas used to be good, but I have noticed that alot of shooters have been turning away from them and now using other brands. I have never used their barrels, except on a match PPC pistol, and can not comment on them based on personal experience.
I am sure that you will be happy with any of the top grade barrels, they usually will outshoot the person behind the gun.

RELH

RELH,
Thanks - I agree if I put this gun together right I know it will shoot better than me, which is exactly what I want - have to have faith in the gun, makes me shoot better. Anyway, just got of the phone with the guys at Shilen, someone named Bill at Shilen also just emailed me - I had sent them an email with some dumb questions and he was nice enough to answer everyone of them - nice service so far. Anyway, the barreled action is going in the mail to them tomorrow morning for a SS Select Match Grade barrel - glass peen finish, #3 contour 1-11' twist, 24 inch, and Teflon on the action. Its a Remington 700, 7mm08. Per Bill, it should only take 16 weeks!!
Frank

Having Shilen do the work is good, they have alot of experience putting together the total package. when you get it back, let us know how it shoots. the satin finish with the glass bead finish is a good choice to cut down rifle glare that may spook game, and their #3 contour is perfect for a hunting rifle that you will be packing. the 1-11 inch twist will stabilize a broad range of 7mm bullets. Sounds like you are going to have one heck of good hunting rifle that will do you for many years down the line. Don't let RLH hear about the caliber, he will tell you that you screwed up by not getting a 270 cal. that 7-08 is a very good caliber for deer and lopes and can get the job done on elk also.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom