Ca Mule Deer Record Books?

cjboz

Very Active Member
My dad inherited a big buck this spring that was shot by his grandad back in 1929 up in the Bartel area.(outside of Burney) We have the old time photos of the buck draped over the model-t with my grandpa standing in the front seat as a 2 or 3 year old. Very neat photo. Earlier this summer my dad had him scored. He scores 200 4/8 net, 212 gross. The buck was accepted into B.C. I was wondering if I could find out where he ranks in Ca. Here are few pics that dont do him justice. I will try to get him to take some that are better.
4a942e5874db2e87.jpg

4a942e7e75eb6ecf.jpg

WOW, I could be wrong, but I's say that buck will be in the top 2 or 3 typicals if not the new #1. I know several years ago it would have been the new number one. Congrats.

Darn, I hunt that area most every year, Bartel Gap to Burney, and sure never see any like that! :)

Smoker buck!! Thanks for posting! Not a tuff question but there's guys here that will know better where to send you. As i recall, this buck will rank right up near the very top!

Joey

Thank you guys!! My dad had always told me about the buck but had never seen it as it was at his uncles house. He sent me these pics and I guessed him in the 180s. When you get your hands on him you know he is 200. He is real heavy which makes him deceiving. We are hoping to draw tag this next year and get him a "new robe". My dad and I joke we may never get into BC but by god grandpa got us in. In the BC letter they said we maybe invited to the awards banquet this next spring. I will get some more pics for you boys and try to get my dad to scan his score sheet. Sage my dad grew up in Burney/Cayton Valley and hunted all that area for years and killed some real nice bucks TYP and NT. Not over 30 though so they did not get mounted.

Acording to the california deer associations records, the current no.1 is 195 7/8. But a buck was shot up north a couple years ago that was close the the record. I dont think the records have been updated recently.

Was that Lee Johnson buck (2004) entered into the cali record books? I think it netted 195 and change.

hey cjboz,

I am interested in doing a story on your grandpa's deer and running those old time pics you spoke about. email me at [email protected] and we can talk further. Great buck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom