CA Pref. Points

I have max for everything but deer,I have drawn 4 x-zone tags since the points system has started.
1st tag 28 inch 2x3 rifle
2nd tag 25 inch 4x4 rifle
3rd tag 24 inch 3x3 archery
4th tag 24 inch 7x4 rifle

after I get this years mount back I will take a pic and post them all together.I had a guy tell me once that you cant shoot a buck if you dont have a tag, so I have never held out for the hard to draw tags I just picked an easy unit to draw and learn it well.

I have 9 points for sheep and elk. I drew X5b 4 years ago and I drew antelope in same area 2 years before.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-11 AT 08:20PM (MST)[p]No big secret. I've hunted G6 and X9(something) Haha! Gonna stick with X9 from now on. Alot easier to draw and has big buck potential.

Don P.

>max on elk and antelope, drew
>sheep and deer tags this
>past year

Wheres the sheep I would like to see a pic.

6x7,
you make a good point. I have max points for deer. I feel kinda stuck with em. don't want to waste them on a lesser unit at this point.

>6x7,
>you make a good point. I
>have max points for deer.
>I feel kinda stuck with
>em. don't want to waste
>them on a lesser unit
>at this point.

search back a bit and look at the post I put up of the bucks we took this year and see what you can shoot out of a lesser unit.Four of the bucks we took this year Are bigger than most of the bucks you will see taken off of late hunts.I will most likley get to hunt that unit again next season Everybody wants to be your friend when you have a good spot and they are throwing there points my way.
If I did have max points I know I would feel the same way you do ,I just drew out early .A old hunting partner of ours died and I wanted to go hunt the unit I use to hunt with him and my dad when I was a kid, the old boy looked down on me and gave me a tag then a 28 inch buck on the same moutain I had walk with him before.He also threw in a 22 inch 4x3 for my pops too that year.

I have max points for Elk,Sheep and Goat.Used up my max pts. for deer this year on the G-37 hunt.Now I can start off on some limited Archery tag choices...

Used up my
>max pts. for deer this
>year on the G-37 hunt.

Wheres the pictures and story????

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

That archery hunt would be a fun one but I can't hold out for more than a couple years, Thats why I apply for the archery x zones.

Just a guess, but without access to the DFG computer....I would bet that about 150,000 deer hunters in the state have max points for deer.

You could probably get someone in the main office to tell you the exact numbers.

Fortunately, the majority of them don't apply for premium deer zones.....so they don't care about the point system either way.

Elk, sheep and antelope are different, as you have to buy the specific tag application......so there are probably only about 30,000 guys with max points for everything but deer.

> Just a guess, but without
>access to the DFG computer....I
>would bet that about 150,000
>deer hunters in the state
>have max points for deer.
>
>
> You could probably get someone
>in the main office to
>tell you the exact numbers.
>
>
>Fortunately, the majority of them
>don't apply for premium deer
>zones.....so they don't care about
>the point system either way.
>
>
> Elk, sheep and antelope are
>different, as you have to
>buy the specific tag application......so
>there are probably only about
>30,000 guys with max points
>for everything but deer.

If you take a look at the 2010 Big Game hunting Digest which you can find online it tells how much first choice Max point applicants put in for all the draw hunts and for point only. After adding them all up I come up with 2,542 hunters sitting on max points for deer. 1131 of those were hunters trying to draw the 35 tags out of the Gooddale hunt. 284 hunters who had max points already put in for Point Only.

after adding up all the max point applicants from the 2010 hunting digest I also came up with 3625 for antelope, 2759 for sheep, 6412 for elk. This info is for applicants from 2009 season so totals are actually less. This also includes max point holders who applied for a point only.

Max points for all species.
Deer: Cant decide between Bishop, Devils Garden, Anderson Flat,
Doyle or X5??
Lope: Likely or Lassen
Sheep: Probably Old Dad or Bob Hopes old place
Elk: Either NE or Stonyford.

It always a pleasure to dream big.

I have max points on everything except sheep, missed a year but I don't really care much about the sheep as much as the other tags.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom