CA Roosie

H

HerbD

Been wondering if anyone on this board got a Roosevelt? If so, let's post some picts!
Herb

not this year...nor probably ever again...but back in 2003 I scored a bull on the Big Lagoon Hunt. Nothing special...a 4x5.
I'll try to post a pic later.

I think/ thought Kali elk tags are only myth. I been putting in since day 1. Just Wish i had some pic's to contribute.lol

47e1962b58f8da78.jpg

My wifes B&C rosie from a couple of years ago. I thought those tags were only a myth till my wife drew one. We tried to make the most of it.

Aaron, Please tell us the story, has she hunted before? Opening day?, cost much? What did she shoot it with and like that? I hear sometimes you're limited to a specific ranch, what's the scoop bud, tell us the story. Ok?

By the way, i would love to get a Kali elk like that! Congrats to the Mrs.

Joey

Most of U will hate her when i tell U this was her 2nd bull tag in Cali in a 3 year period. U will be happy to know she has been cold as ice drawing anything in Cali for the last 2 years even with max points on everything but elk.

This was a costal hunt on one of the timber ground lands that they open up for hunting. They are great guys and i hope they can keep doing this for the public. This was her second elk but her biggest. She missed one much bigger the same day and we found this guy just one hill over from the monster she missed that morning.

She shot it with my 270 that she shoots better than me. I dont think there is any sleeper units in cali u just have to get drawn. I will tell U dont ever send for Big Lagoon hunt. U might pull all your hair out trying to find one elk track and that is no joke.

The bull scored 315 gross and netted around 303. The bull was 10 years old and the body was freaking huge. I have never seen anything like those elk. I called the bull out of some trees across a canyon and she shot him at 300 yards. I am only going to try to get a tule tag now so we could have all three kinds of elk mounted in a room. Not to many guys in the world have that. Good luck in the draws because tags do exits to the select few that hit the lotto.

Great pics and story Aaron. Congratulations on your wife's good fortune.

I took these pics in Eureka Fish & Game office some time ago. This bull was a road kill near Crescent City. It scored pretty high in the book, but I don't remember the score.

47e46d960456c5b6.jpg

47e46dca05769e5b.jpg

hey check out the new trophy hunter book its got a rose elk from klamath that scored 322 what a elk

here's a pic of my elusive Big Lagoon bull from 200f4.

I gotta say that this was a pretty hard hunt. I was told only 3 bulls were killed on the hunt with one being a very small spike.

47f50ad1726fcdd7.jpg

Dave, very nice pic of you and your bull. Looks like you beat the odds twice, once in getting the tag, then again in filling it with a nice bull.

Could you story us a little more of the actual hunt? conditions, terrain, animals spotted, and any advice if to apply for this area or not?

Thanks, Joey

Wow...where do I begin...

Basically the hunt was really a bust. I wouldnt recommend this unit to anyone! Very few elk in the unit and they are scattered out over a very large area. During the period of time tagholders were allowed to scout I never saw a bull. I did, however, run into a survey crew for the timber company that told me of a bull they had seen several days prior. Since this was the only positive lead I had I decided to concentrate my efforts on the clear cuts located in that area. Opening moning came and went with nothing spotted. I was really beginnig to wonder if there even were elk in this unit!

Mid day we took a long walk 3-5 mile loop. We stopped and cow called several times with no response. I was starting to realize that this was going to be a long hard hunt!

Prior to arriving at the grounds, I contacted Warden Rick Banko who had intimate knowledge of the whereabouts of the elk. All the spots he told me about seemed to be barren..no tracks, poop, etc...He did tell me that this was a hard hunt with low probability of success. In fact, he said I would be lucky to see an elk during the hunt! He wasnt kidding either!

Anyways, with all this weighing on me, we rounded a bend no more than 1/4 mile from the truck after our big mid-day walk and there he was! Standing no more than 100 yards off the road on the edge of a small meadow stood a bull. Nothing big...just a 4x5. we watched him for quite some time to see if any other bulls (a herd?) were with him. No luck, he was it. After much contemplation and badgeing from my two partners I reluctantly decided to take him. He dropped after 1 shot from the 300 win mag....but got up and several other shots anchored him just before he went over an embankment and into a swampy area. Whew! That was lucky!

After the hunt I was told by Warden Banko that my bull was one of only 3 taken on the hunt by the 12 tagholders. I guess I made the right decision...still, I wish I had shot a bigger one! I may never have another chance to hunt Rosies..unless I move to Oregon, Washington (Canada is out of the question!) or get rich!

Final Word:
DONT APPLY FOR THIS HUNT!!! If you want a CA Rosie, the Del Norte hunt is soooooo much better. I have accompanied a friend on his Rosie hunt on the Del Norte unit and we saw numerous bulls every day. He ended up shooting a great mature bull (I'll see if I can get him to send me some copies of the pictures) after passing on quite a few.

Good luck to all of you in this year's draw!

Dave, that's about as good a hunt description as a guy could ask for. Thank You!!

You did manage to get a nice bull but it's a shame that the hunt isn't better for a guy who waits a very long time to get drawn. I had been putting in for that area for years, not really knowing anything about it. I'd a been ticked off to find the Elk numbers and hunting conditions that poor if i had drawn.

Thanks for sharing that info. it'll help us MM guys, that do want to someday put a Kali Rosie on the wall.

Joey

Those tags really do exist, though I've never drawn any limited entry tag in California, ever.

A buddy, on the other hand, has drawn a rosie tag for the Siskiyou hunt and killed a 5x5, while his wife and daughter have drawn cow tags on Grizzly Island, which was a very fun hunt. He took his daughter while I took his wife. We had a ball and the girls each shot nice cows in one day. On top of that, they've drawn three antelope tags!

Go figure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom