Cabales scopes any good?

nvhunter

The boy just bought his first gun, .308, been looking around for a good quality scope that won't break his bank...he's 12. The Cabales scopes seemed to be pretty well priced just wondering if anyone has looked thru them or used them and what they think of them.
Also looking at CamaraLand, so just trying to compare the two, Camara land seems to be the cheaper.

+1 couesbitten! You beat me to it!!! Now that Leupold is producing them with their warranty and the great prices on them, that would be the way I would go, especially for a youngster just starting out.

A Redfield will be on top of my next sons gun. They have it going on...

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I have a cabelas pine ridge 1x20 on my tc smokepole, and a 4x32 pine ridge on my .223 single shot. Both have been very good scopes, but went out and shot the muzzy today, and noticed the rear lens has come loose, and rattles around in the case.Will return it to cabelas this weekend, as far as quality and value go hard to beat.

>I have a cabelas pine ridge
>1x20 on my tc smokepole,
>and a 4x32 pine ridge
>on my .223 single shot.
>Both have been very good
>scopes, but went out and
>shot the muzzy today, and
>noticed the rear lens has
>come loose, and rattles around
>in the case.Will return it
>to cabelas this weekend, as
>far as quality and value
>go hard to beat.

Seriously?
horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Well the lens coming loose is in part my fault, the lock ring on the focus was loose and the bell end of the scope was just floating, and moving during the shot.

>I have a cabelas pine ridge
>1x20 on my tc smokepole,
>and a 4x32 pine ridge
>on my .223 single shot.
>Both have been very good
>scopes, but went out and
>shot the muzzy today, and
>noticed the rear lens has
>come loose, and rattles around
>in the case.Will return it
>to cabelas this weekend, as
>far as quality and value
>go hard to beat.

That is quite possibly the biggest contradiction I've read in product reviews in a long time. Lens rattles loose to hard to beat quality and value in less than ten words.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

NV there are a lot of good Scopes out there for your boy. What price range are you looking at? You could also check 24hr campfire classifieds. Have been seeing some great deals on used Scopes.

You get what you pay for with optics... I would get a used Leupold for it before I mounted new junk glass on it..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I'll be purchasing my 12 year old boy his first rifle by the end of June. For $300 I'll be topping it off with a Leupold 3X9X40 LR. I've had cheaper on my hunting rifles over the years and I have replaced all them at least once. If I would have bought quality to stater with I would have been money ahead in the end.

As for the Cabelas scopes I have one of their rim fire scopes on my .22 that works out OK. With it being on a 22 I am not really pushing the limits on it ether.

400bull

400bull---Good choice that should last him his lifetime! I have a VXI and a VXII(3x9x40) on the two rifles I use most and you can't beat them.

hangfire---I doubt that the loose lock ring was what caused the scope lens to go bonkers. It might allow the eyepiece to turn and lose focus a little, but the eyepiece would not be free-floating like you mentioned. What I'm saying is that the eyepiece could turn a little, but it couldn't go back and forth easily on the scope tube unless the threads were completely shot and I can't see that happening. Please let us know what the folks at Cabelas say and/or do when you take it back because they don't seem to be as forgiving on returns now like they used to. Good luck!

I had the Redfields in mind also, and knew that they were now made by Leupold. As far as a Zeiss even at half price is pretty spendy. I have a Bushnell 4200 Elite and love it, one of the brightest and clearest i have ever looked thru, but i cant find a 4200, only the 3200 Elite. Thanks for the replies guys

In a previous life (over 20 yrs ago) I worked in sporting goods retail for 2 decades and one thing was constant: When it stormed during the hunts we would get hundreds of scopes, from customers, to return to the factory for repair. That's the way business was done back then I guess. WE NEVER SAW A LEUPOLD COME BACK FOR FOGGING!
There are other great scopes out there today and some brands have improved but, dollar for dollar, I'd buy your son a Leupold in an entry-level model. Leupold is still one of my favorite brands to this day.

2 cents
Zeke

I forgot,
A warranty does NO GOOD if you're in the middle of a hunt and the scope fogs or breaks! Hunting is too important and time is too short to be screwing with an inferior scope.

Zeke

I have a cabelas pineridge 3-9 X 40mm on my 243 and have enjoyed it so far. I got it on ebay for 40$ and it is clear and I have had no problems. I also have a cabelas alaskan guide premium 4-12 X 44mm AO on my 300 win mag and have absolutely loved it. The alaskan guide is a good solid japanese glass and is clear and has good color and shape reproduction. The pineridge is a cheaper chinese glass but it is clear and has been good to me. I definately would recomend the alaskan guide for a scope under 300$ and good quality. The pineridge is cheap but seems ok also. I guess it comes down to what you are looking to spend and what type of shots your 12 year old is comfortable with. My pineridge is great out to 200 yards but starts to suffer a little with paralux issues past that where my AO alaskan guide can be adjusted to provide a clear crisp image out to 600 yards plus. Just my 2 cents.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom