Cabela's 1hp meat grinder

BeanMan

Long Time Member
I decided I was ready to grind my own meat this year. I've been taking the burger meat to a local place that will grind it while you watch but they do it on their schedule and it's become costly.

I used a friends Cabela's .5 HP grinder to gring my deer this year, it was a good machine but you had to cut smallish pieces and push them down the feed. I decided to buy one and they were on sale, the 1HP was only about $80 more and boy is it worth it. The feed tube is large enough that you can just drop good sized chunks in without having to push the meat. I really like it and it looks like it will last for a long time.

Two thumbs up.

Beanman

I got one too and love it. Don't let your chunks get to big, because when you fine grind she'll plug. My bro-in-law found that out when he ground whole muscule segments.

I just used my 1hp Cabelas for the first time too! I concur, it was worth it. Easy set up, easy grinding, and easy clean up. Just did two whitetail, but it should handle and elk with no problem too.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I got tired of paying the butcher $75 a pop for deer when I averaged 4 deer a year. I bit the bullet and bought all of the hardware from Cabelas. I also went with the 1 hp grinder. I have had mine for 4 years now. It works great! Add the mixer attachment and a stuffer and you are good to go.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-08 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]If you have a kitchen aid mixer, the meat grinding attachments work very well. I use that over my old meat grinder. You can mix cookies and grind meat with the same machine.

I am thinking about getting one for the same reasons. Do you guys mix beef fat with your game? If so where do you get it at?

JR

>I am thinking about getting one
>for the same reasons. Do
>you guys mix beef fat
>with your game? If so
>where do you get it
>at?
>
>JR

It depends on what I am making. If I am making jerky I don't add any fat. It should be as lean as possible. If I am making brats, or summer sausage, I do add beef fat. For breakfast or italian sausage, I add pork fat. I get the fat at the meat counter of the local supermarket. I may have to check with a few stores, but I can always find it. Ask the butcher for beef fat and they can usually hook you up. Don't wait till you are ready to or have already ground the meat to hunt down the fat. Ask a week or so ahead of time and they can have it ready when you start grinding.

I love my Cabela's grinder. The thing works flawlessly for grinding burger and sausage making!

Try mixing raw bacon in with your burger. I think I do 10% bacon or try 20% if you really like the taste of bacon in your burger. You won't believe how much better your burgers taste! Even the kids will love it since it takes any gaminess away from the flavor if there is any to begin with.

Enjoy!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom