Cabelas alaskan frame 2 and pack

fullofbull

Couple questions.

Just purchased this combo after Christmas at a great buy. Currently on sale at 99.99 and then I had a $20 coupon. Anyway,
they sell the pack separately, but I don't see where there are straps to carry just the pack if it was ordered by itself. Am I missing something?

Is the material waterproof on the pack. I didn't see where it said it was (a usual selling point) but it feels like it is a treated material. Those of you you who has this pack, did you buy a separate cover? (I really didn't want to cover it with a trash bag that will get trashed)

I think that is it for now.

Thanks for any info.

FOB

The pack is not meant to be carried without the frame, so there are no straps on it. I don't believe the pack is waterproof either. I have only used mine for packing out meat, so it has never mattered if it was waterproof. Do you intend to hunt while wearing this pack? It is pretty noisy, and too bulky to hunt with it on your back, IMO.

I haven't really decided yet. I have a 1700 ci daypack that I use whitetail hunting that I thought about straping to the frame. However, it took alot to get the cabelas pack on the frame. There are two loops that slide over the top that are tight. I used pliers to pull and twist them on with.

I just couldn't pass up on a deal like that.

FOB

It's a great pack for hauling meat. I've never removed the pack from the frame since I've had it, and that's been more than 15 years. You could just stick your dapack in the pack, or strap it on without removing the pack. I've carried my fanny pack in mine before, on a 3 to 5 mile hike into my hunting area, then stashed the pack frame in the brush and hunted with just the fanny pack. Never did kill anything in there, but if I had the frame was nearby for packing meat if I needed it.

Rain covers are kinda a pain. I just line my bag with a heavy duty garbage bag to keep clothes and sleeping bag dry. And then if you do throw in anything bloody it also keeps the blood off. I have never had anything get wet this way. DT

Good thought. Not sure if you have the subject pack, but if I use the bag inside, will the pack get water-logged and get heavy?

A client we had used that pack. The material on the cabelas pack is not very thick and it is kinda slick so I don't think it would get real water logged? My pack bag is thicker but it doesn't get to heavy from rain or snow. They have that Camp Dry stuff in a spray can that would probably work pretty well on the Cabelas pack. Another thing is to weigh your pack dry and then wet it with a hose and weigh it. see how much weight it adds. Good luck. DT

Not sure if they are still similar to older Alaskan frame and pack. I've had one for 10 years or so. Mine has a rain cover that zips out of the back of the top pocket. It also has straps, but I don't remember if you use the straps from the frame or if they are internal. I have used it without the frame so I know it can be done.

Thanks again for your comments. I can always count on good advise on this forum.

Has everyone been happy with the performance of the pack/frame. I heard some complain about the velcro connections, but I was pulling an tugging on them, and it seems like the pack is secured nicely to the frame.

FOB

I have used just the frame before. It was my buddies that had been used a few times. With about sixty pounds of meat one of the thin bars in the frame broke and gave me a huge bruise on my back. I think we had the meat lashed on a little to tight. With the bag I would think it would do better. Good luck

I've hauled meat out with the cabela's alaskan pack for a while now. I have never had any problems with it, infact this year I hauled out my mule deer in one heavy load. I've also used it for a few overnighters. The only problem i have with it (and all external frame packs, for that matter) is that they are too noisy to hunt with, so I have been using internal frames for most of my "hunting" and externals for my "packing". I did take off the top bar on mine because I got tired of it hanging up in brush.

---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

Thanks guys. I think I will be just fine. It is always a learning process, so it will be exciting.

If it breaks, it breaks. As long as its not one of my bones.

FOB

We used two of the frames to pack out an elk this year we qrt the elk and made two trips ... the frame worked well!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom