Cabelas and swarovski

mulesnbucks

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-12 AT 07:16AM (MST)[p]Congratulations to those that scored on the spotting scope close outs. 20x60x80 hd's for 1150.00. The non hd's much less. We will be seeing a lot for sale on here and other sites. One guy was selling 6 scopes on another site. How does the smaller distributers compete. So much for selling mine and being able to upgrade to the new ones. It was unadvertised and they went quick. Anybody here score?

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-12
>AT 07:16?AM (MST)

>
>Congratulations to those that scored on
>the spotting scope close outs.
>20x60x80 hd's for 1150.00. The
>non hd's much less. We
>will be seeing a lot
>for sale on here and
>other sites. One guy was
>selling 6 scopes on another
>site. How does the smaller
>distributers compete. So much for
>selling mine and being able
>to upgrade to the new
>ones. It was unadvertised and
>they went quick. Anybody here
>score?

I'd love to talk to you about this...PM sent.

I would like to know more also. I'll send a pm as well. Wish I could have got a scope for such good deal as I am currently looking.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-12 AT 09:06PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-12 AT 09:02?PM (MST)

Story I heard was that they did put them on sale(not for the prices you quote though) but mostly Cabelas employees snagged them up.

I would not worry about the resale of your scope-its still worth just as much as before.

However-the new STS,ATS (aluminum again) are supposed to have slightly improved optics over the last ATM,STM HD and will be cheaper to boot-I can't imagine they will be much better optically, they will be heavier, I would rather keep or have the lighter ATM,STM instead of a marginal improvement in optics (if it is indeed true). From the reviews I am seeing on the new ATX,STX they are a slight improvement over the other best scopes on the market (Kowa,Zeiss,Leica) and just a couple notches above the ATM/STM HD. The Kowa,Zeiss and Leica can be had for quite a bit less than a set up ATX,STX with 85 or 95mm. If I had a ATM/STM HD the upgrade to the ATX/STX would not be worth it IMO.

Well, here ya go...research done. Lengthy but maybe worth the read...

Swarovski pulled a fast one along with Cabelas. Had an unannounced one/two day sale to clear out existing inventory of "old" atm, stm, ats, sts 65mm/80mm hd/non hd scopes. These included eyepieces.

Enter the "new" Aluminum bodied ats/sts 65s (revamping an old product) and enter the REALLY NEW atx/stx lineup.
Swaro knows the ATX/STX is expensive so they kept the STS and ATS around with "improved" glass as a budget option...
Scopes were sold for 1/2 of DEALER LIST. That's right. chump change.
atm/stm 65mm non hd $650
atm/stm 65mm hd $869
atm/stm 80 non hd $800
atm/stm 80 hd $1150

This is why some sites (like this one) and ebay etc are flooded with them. Guys loaded their carts and some are going for the 100% profit kill at these sites. Some guys are more reasonable.

I knew this was coming only because when Zeiss brought out their new lotutec line several years ago Cabelas closed out all existing Zeiss spotters also at ridiculous prices. I bought two 65 diascopes for $850 each with zoom eyepieces. Normally $2200 scopes. One for myself and one for my son.

The thing is, many, if not most of these latest Swaro scopes were bought up by people associated with Cabelas employees and employees themselves. I know, I talked to many across the country who bought the scopes and they work behind the optics counter.
I spoke to a forum member last night (great guy) who's son works in Cabelas optics and together I think they bought 5 scopes between them alone. At least 4.

I called stores around the country and they are all gone.
I was ready for this closeout to happen, and watched for any sign of it on the internet, but there was no indication of timing. I live remote and would to have had prior knowledge of the sale to basically camp out at Cabelas.

It's unfortunate when you have guys wanting some good glass in a tough economy but the guy in front at the counter is buying them all up to resell at double the money.
Not illegal, not immoral, ethical? well, you be the judge.
Nothing wrong with profiting a bit but karma is a b*tch.

UPDATE.... Late yesterday I called ****** Cabelas, I found what I believe is the last NIB atm 65mm hd in the country. New in the bargain Cave...how sweet it is.

It is now enroute, I have tracking number in hand.
$869 with free shipping. List was $2300.

Let's just say that this became personal for me.

Good for you for tracking one down. I wish i could have been lucky enough to have got one. Oh well. My gold Ring will have to do for a wile longer.

Many thanks Ry.
Yeah, my wife says I'm a stubborn b@stard, I spent many hours looking with many calls.
As I alluded in my prior posting, some guys literally walked out with cartfulls of $18,000-$20,000 retail worth of scopes for close to a third the price. They are peddling them now.

IMO, Cabelas should have put a limit of two per family and a limit on what employees could purchase.

At least guys that went into the store with the gold card to buy them all would've have been forced to more creative means.

With some limitations maybe some of the average Joes from forums like this could've been included in a fantastic bargain.

Congrats on a great deal indeed, broomd. I agree with you that if Cabela's would have handled this differently it may have been better for more of us regular joes. Nonetheless, good for you!

I would like to have bought one for the sale price. I e-mailed a few people and the people I e-mailed are not budging on price and want to more than double what they paid for them. Oh well.
broomd were you able to find any 80 either hd or non in your search for the last 65 hd? If so pm would be great.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-12 AT 11:49PM (MST)[p]Trd, several guys have asked me that same thing. No, I saw nothing other than the 65mm I lucked into.
I did come close....
I called a Midwestern Cabelas store and was on speaker phone with the optics counter; what ensued was nothing short of unbelievable...(Apparently I had missed an 80mm hd scope by about two hours) A customer saw it, couldn't believe the deal, "reserved" it to go get funds, and the optics guys put in behind the counter for him with his name and info on it. He returned to pick it up only to see someone had taken it. It was gone from behind the counter.

I could hear the fireworks even between the optics counter employees as the guy was b*tching about his misplaced (I'm guessing likely taken by an employee) Swarovski scope.

I heard most of this go down, but when I inquired further the young optics counter guy I had on the phone told me the entire scenario.

Yes, I called Bass Pro and they had no Swaro inventory and Wholesale Sports won't honor those prices given there was no "official" sale. It was a one-two day "Close out promotion"...."One to two days" because that is as long as the inventory lasted in most cases.
Some of us found stragglers thereafter.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-12 AT 08:16PM (MST)[p]I bid on spotting scopes all weekend on ebay and am still looking for one if there are any new deals over the holiday I would like to know about them, Swaro, Leica or Zeiss would be ok.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Cool off broomd. Gawd, your whining is a joke. Karma is a #####??? Why is it SOOOO wrong for a guy to buy as many scopes as he's able? It's tiring hearing that "the common man" didn't have a chance!

Traditional >>>------->

>Cool off broomd. Gawd, your whining
>is a joke. Karma is
>a #####??? Why is it
>SOOOO wrong for a guy
>to buy as many scopes
>as he's able? It's tiring
>hearing that "the common man"
>didn't have a chance!
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

Cool as a cucumber and have been the whole time here.

I said average Joe, not "common man." If it's tiring then DON'T READ IT, otherwise it reads like you are the whiner.

Seems like what this all comes down to is whether guys agree with a few select people buying up desirable and limited merchandise to resell at a major profit or not; many will have no problem with that. Lots of folks nowadays are like that.

Many however do have a problem with that. I can see maybe buying two or so, but six or eight? Yeah, that seems wrong. I put an email into Cabelas corporate to state my opinion, and as I noted I was lucky enough get a 66% off Swaro scope.

Your opinion is noted.
And lose the "SOOOOO" verbiage, it reads like a 15 y/o girl.

I don't know much about the history of this, when , where etc. I'm not very close to a Cabelas and just recently, in the last few weeks started to look for one , but I wonder why that Cabelas and other outlets for Swarovski just didn't mark them down 30-40% themselves?? I don't think we are getting both sides of this.

>I don't know much about the
>history of this, when ,
>where etc. I'm not very
>close to a Cabelas and
>just recently, in the last
>few weeks started to look
>for one , but
>I wonder why that Cabelas
>and other outlets for Swarovski
>just didn't mark them down
>30-40% themselves?? I don't think
>we are getting both sides
>of this.

There is an ATM 80 for 1650 and a STM 80hd for 2350 change currently at the Lacey Cabelas that I saw yesterday.

I talked with Lacey's optics department in my search last week and they didn't have any at that point. Maybe they were found in the stockpile or are returns.

Those atm scopes are discontinued and likely fodder for the '1/2 off dealer list' deal if one talks to the right (read: knowledgeable of the closeout) manager. A manager who knew nothing of the original deal will laugh at marking them down.
Once Cabelas sets a discount closeout price on stuff they sell them all for that. It's policy. MHO and what I've learned anyway.

There's a deal waiting right there, Will, (and others who posted in this thread.) Certainly worth pursuing asap if you are local. The internet is what it is.

Is it possible to buy online for sale price and have them shipped or sent to the local cabelas? Thanks for the info, will check into it.

TRD, you need to call Cabelas in Lacey asap, it may be too late.
Talk to the manager aware of the closeout sale and have it shipped right to you.
Good luck!

I called right after my last post and was told they did not have any swaro scopes at all. I called twice and talked to two different people who didn't seem to really know or did not want to say anything. Going to try again first thing in the morning when they open. Worth a try. Thanks for all the help.

>>Cool off broomd. Gawd, your whining
>>is a joke. Karma is
>>a #####??? Why is it
>>SOOOO wrong for a guy
>>to buy as many scopes
>>as he's able? It's tiring
>>hearing that "the common man"
>>didn't have a chance!
>>
>>
>>Traditional >>>------->
>
>
>Cool as a cucumber and have
>been the whole time here.
>
>
>I said average Joe, not "common
>man." If it's tiring then
>DON'T READ IT, otherwise it
>reads like you are the
>whiner.
>
>Seems like what this all comes
>down to is whether guys
>agree with a few select
>people buying up desirable and
>limited merchandise to resell at
>a major profit or not;
>many will have no problem
>with that. Lots of
>folks nowadays are like that.
>
>
>Many however do have a problem
>with that. I can see
>maybe buying two or so,
>but six or eight?
>Yeah, that seems wrong. I
>put an email into Cabelas
>corporate to state my opinion,
>and as I noted I
>was lucky enough get a
>66% off Swaro scope.
>
>Your opinion is noted.
>And lose the "SOOOOO" verbiage, it
>reads like a 15 y/o
>girl.

Life's not fair. You shoulda learned that at a young age. Or did you get participation trophies growing up?
If you're tired of being an average joe then do something to change your life. It's America....plenty of opportunity. So it's not ok for a guy to max out a CC to get as many as he can? When you sell something, don't you try to get the highest price you can?

Traditional >>>------->

If Cabelas would have announced the sale it would have been worse than a free fried chicken give away in Harlem.
It would have been bloody.... just sayin.

>>>Cool off broomd. Gawd, your whining
>>>is a joke. Karma is
>>>a #####??? Why is it
>>>SOOOO wrong for a guy
>>>to buy as many scopes
>>>as he's able? It's tiring
>>>hearing that "the common man"
>>>didn't have a chance!
>>>
>>>
>>>Traditional >>>------->
>>
>>
>>Cool as a cucumber and have
>>been the whole time here.
>>
>>
>>I said average Joe, not "common
>>man." If it's tiring then
>>DON'T READ IT, otherwise it
>>reads like you are the
>>whiner.
>>
>>Seems like what this all comes
>>down to is whether guys
>>agree with a few select
>>people buying up desirable and
>>limited merchandise to resell at
>>a major profit or not;
>>many will have no problem
>>with that. Lots of
>>folks nowadays are like that.
>>
>>
>>Many however do have a problem
>>with that. I can see
>>maybe buying two or so,
>>but six or eight?
>>Yeah, that seems wrong. I
>>put an email into Cabelas
>>corporate to state my opinion,
>>and as I noted I
>>was lucky enough get a
>>66% off Swaro scope.
>>
>>Your opinion is noted.
>>And lose the "SOOOOO" verbiage, it
>>reads like a 15 y/o
>>girl.
>
>Life's not fair. You shoulda learned
>that at a young age.
>Or did you get participation
>trophies growing up?
>If you're tired of being an
>average joe then do something
>to change your life. It's
>America....plenty of opportunity. So it's
>not ok for a guy
>to max out a CC
>to get as many as
>he can? When you sell
>something, don't you try to
>get the highest price you
>can?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

Well said. Especially the participation trophys. Like that.

I for one bought a Swaro 65 off of one of the lucky guys. He made money and I saved myself $700.00. All is good.

>If Cabelas would have announced the
>sale it would have been
>worse than a free fried
>chicken give away in Harlem.
>
>It would have been bloody.... just
>sayin.

Very true! Absolutely agree.
That was the primary reason that they didn't announce it. Not too mention Swaro really doesn't want the dealer costs, etc. as public knowledge. They are very cryptic about that stuff.

Imposing a limit on the product is another story.
Given you have family that works at Cabelas and you two made out very, very well, I wouldn't expect a different opinion.

"Life's not fair. You shoulda learned that at a young age. Or did you get participation trophies growing up?
If you're tired of being an average joe then do something to change your life. It's America....plenty of opportunity. So it's not ok for a guy to max out a CC to get as many as he can? When you sell something, don't you try to get the highest price you can?"

True indeed! Life isn't fair.

In this case don't confuse opportunity with GREED.

If you were in line for one of these scopes with four other guys waiting your turn and the guy in the front of the line bought up all of the many in stock you would be livid.
Anything statement to the contrary is bull$h!t.
If you were in-store and got wind of that sale and you asked about it only to hear a Cabelas employee say "I'm purchasing all ten of our store's stock to resell" Again, you would be flipping livid. Any statement denying that is total crap.

Cabelas should have imposed some kind of a limit because some people only think of themselves and that is the way it is.

"Participation trophies?" lol, try again. Nothing could be further from the truth. I was four year varsity wrestler-I was no state champ, but I was a tough out for most guys.
I wore a plastic bag to class spitting in a milk carton to lose weight.

Bowing out of this one.
My point has been made, and it's becoming a p!ssing contest.
Good luck to you guys still searching out there...

Yep. 70% off.
A picture is worth a 1000 words...

DSCN4178_zps0cf2262d.jpg

DSCN4162_zps74e1ab35.jpg

They had a STM 80mm non-HD at the Cabela's in Buda. I asked the guy behind the counter for the price and he rang it up and said it was $1650. I pushed him a little bit on the price as it had been a closeout item. He did some poking around on the computer but wouldn't budge. I was able to go up front and get a manager but they knew nothing of the closeout and wouldn't call anyone. I'd have certainly picked it up for $800 and would have been looking to trade it for a 65mm STM in HD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom