Cabela's customer service

N

Nails

I am really upset with Cabela's. About a week and a half ago I placed on order for a few items, including a pair of pants. They were in the bargain cave, marked down from $59.99 to $19.99. These pants were insulated, waterproof and breathable. Perfect for my 10 year old son who will be joining me deer hunting this fall. I was excited about this "find" because you know how fast kids grow and I didn't want to spend a lot on pants that he will outgrow. Anyway, at checkout Cabela's page showed the pants as in stock, about 5 days later however I received an e-mail informing me that by order had shipped but the pants were no longer available. I contacted customer service and was told there was nothing they could do. I told them that I would no longer be a Cabela's customer. She did an immediate 180 and told me they could offer me a discount on a similar pair of pants. So I scoured the website and found a comparable pair of pants. I wasn't expecting to get them for $19.99 but, I sure wasn't happy with the offer I was given either. $79.99 with free shipping, I WAS PISSED. I told her that the pants were on sale for that anyways and if they were added to my other order the total qualified for $20.00 off and free shipping."Sorry sir there is nothing I can do. Is there anything else I can help you with today?" she asked. "Not unless you work for Gander Mountain or Sportsman's Warehouse" I told her.

Was I expecting too much or would you guys have expected the same.

Nails.

I have had pretty good experiences with Cabelas. Buying online has a bit more of a risk in regards to available stock and you have to expect this to happen from time to time.

I would only get bent if the rep on the other end of the line was unprofessional or rude about the situation.

It sucks but sometimes there really is nothing they can do.

Agreed. Everyone gets all bent when they dont get everything they want. I can understand the frustration, I would be a little upset to, but what do you want them to do, give you a $80 pair of pants for $20?? If you were ##### Cabela would you give everyone that complained about an out-of-stock $60. I wouldnt, then to top it off you whine like a kid and tell them Gander Mountain or Sportmans. Typical.

I've been a long time Cabela's customer and have spent a lot of money with them over the years. I agree their customer services isn't what it used to be nor are their products. Don't get me wrong some of the stuff they put their name on is great just not most of it.

Did you not read the entire post? I said, that I didn't expect to get the other pants for 20 bucks. If they would have given me $20 off and free shipping I would have been happy, that is what I would have gotten if the two orders would have been combined. My complaint is that I was told by cust. service that they would work something out with me. And then offered me nothing. As for whining, whatever. At least it wasn't an F-bomb laden rant. Sounds like your taking my displeasure with this experience personal, what do you work at Cabela's. I have spent a lot of money at Cabela's over the years. Maybe it is a little extreme to say I will never shop there again, but I don't think it was asking too much to consider my purchase as one order and giving me the $20 off and free shipping. When an order is placed and you are told that the item is in stock and it turns out that is isn't, I would expect to be contacted before the item is canceled and the rest of the order is shipped. At the very least, I then have the chance to add a replacement item and only pay the shipping once.

>Did you not read the entire
>post? I said, that I
>didn't expect to get the
>other pants for 20 bucks.
>If they would have given
>me $20 off and free
>shipping I would have been
>happy, that is what I
>would have gotten if the
>two orders would have been
>combined. My complaint is that
>I was told by cust.
>service that they would work
>something out with me. And
>then offered me nothing. As
>for whining, whatever. At least
>it wasn't an F-bomb laden
>rant. Sounds like your taking
>my displeasure with this experience
>personal, what do you work
>at Cabela's. I have spent
>a lot of money at
>Cabela's over the years. Maybe
>it is a little extreme
>to say I will never
>shop there again, but I
>don't think it was asking
>too much to consider my
>purchase as one order and
>giving me the $20 off
>and free shipping. When an
>order is placed and you
>are told that the item
>is in stock and it
>turns out that is isn't,
>I would expect to be
>contacted before the item is
>canceled and the rest of
>the order is shipped. At
>the very least, I then
>have the chance to add
>a replacement item and only
>pay the shipping once.

Try a little Vagisil, it'll make that burning go away..

This thread is dead as far as I am concerned. If you argumentative types can't add anything constructive, whether you agree with me or not then do us all a favor and keeps your opinions to yourselves. If my rant chaffs you that bad maybe your the one who needs the cream.

I would be ticked too! I think that customer service is becoming a thing of the past. It's not your fault they showed the item as in stock and in my opinion they should let you buy a comparable pant for the same price with free shipping. That is what I would expect. The technology today should allow them to know immediately if they sell out of a particular item or size, so there really is no excuse imo. Maybe I'm expecting too much too, but I know the places that pull that kind of crap don't often see me back.
Dave

I head up sales for a small company and we distribute some of our items from our warehouse while we dropship the rest. If you put something in your shopping cart there is no impact on our inventory tracking system. However, once you start the checkout process, our inventory puts a HOLD on that item and the item is is no longer available to anyone else unless you cancel the checkout or subsequently the order, of course.

This is where I find Cabelas has a problem. The shopper should never have been able to checkout with that item. Cabelas either miscounted the inventory when loading "available quantity" into their e-commerce system, discovered the item had a flaw (stain, size mislabeled) with no more left in stock or they have an issue with the the e-commerce software not accurately interfacing with inventory database.

I would be bummed in 2010 to have completed checkout to later be told some of the items are not available. This was an error on Cabelas part, not the customer. Now, in 2000 this was a very common issue for almost every e-tailer. This is 2010, though. The standard is higher.

What is the proper solution? A refund of the item, at a minimum. Not unrealistic to expect a discount on a similar item since the original pants were most likely being sold at near cost over in the Bargain Cave while the replacement pants are more likely priced at 2x cost. Refunding part of the original shipping is another option since most companies mark up that, also.

My 2 cents.

As a vendor, I've had my share of issues with Cabela's. However, I think their customer service is about as good as it gets anymore. Everytime I call, a person whose first language is English picks up the phone, always within a ring or two, and I don't have to go through a menu of options. They get me right to where I need to go. Can't hardly see it getting better than that anymore.

Your right, I shouldn't have been so harsh. Just surprised me that in today's world, with people loosing their jobs, homes, etc., that a grown man would post about something so trivial. Hope nothing earth shattering ever comes your way.

Pretty much every post could be considered trivial depending on ones point of view. But this is a public forum and members post about all sorts of topics. Maybe I over reacted a bit, but I thought I had found a good bargain and just wanted a fair deal. I don't take others posts as lightly as you suggested, as a matter of fact I lost my job back in June. I know first hand the difficulties people are experiencing, I want and need to work. It is very discouraging to be out pounding the pavement and to be told time and again that you are over qualified for this position. Well enough already, health and prosperity to all.

Nails.

couple of years back the same type thing happen to me I'M no longer a customer.
I brought some cold weather gear that was on sale and they charged my cedit card after about 10 days, I got the E-mail saying that they was out stock of that item now, I called and asked What day did they run out of stock and it was a day after they had took my order.I showed they my deal and They claimed it because of the Rep that took the order and they was no longer employed by them. Just a ton of BS if it a deal you honor your end of it period. So I understand what you are saying. Got Basspro close now so that where I go.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

9 times out of 10 the rep who answers the phone has
no authority to do much. I always, always ask for a supervisor
to get things done.

My experience (going back more years than many on this site have been adults) has been nothing short of excellent!

No offense, but there is a reason things are in the bargain cave....almost always very limited quantities and "going fast". On regular items, Cabela's has always been first rate.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Didn't want to come off to harsh either but you all to often hear the negative about a retailer. It sounds like there's a reason you shopped with them for years, they probably treated you good.... correct? I am in retail, people often are satisfied with the service they get from a retailer and let one bad shopping experience ruffle there feathers or dictate future business. Cabelas is big company that may have made a mistake or maybe it wasn't handled correctly. Don't let it get you too upset or even worse get on a big hunting website such as this and slam them.

P.s. I wasn't dropping expletives just the name d*ck cabela.

Cabela's has a habit of showing things in stock on their web site when in fact they are not. If it's something you need soon it's best to call.

Brad

CamoFire is the same way.
Twice I have ordered Sitka items then been told they were out of stock. I even got a "shipped" email on one of them.
If they're out, they're out. I took my money to Wholesale, that's about all you can do.

Unfortunately from reading his responses in this thread to anyone who disagrees with him I'd say it's pretty easy to see how calm and collected our friend Mr. Nails must have been with the poor Cabela's employee who had the misfortune of being routed his call.

I understand the frustration, but I would expect items in the Bargain Cave to be available first-come, first-served. It sucks they were no longer in stock, but sometimes there are situations when a company really can't do anything.

Customer service is one thing...customers and their sense of entitlement is another. Customer service isn't dead, the idea of what constitutes it has just gotten out of control.

I'm sure you'll have better luck with Gander or SW, and I'm also sure Cabela's won't miss you.

I have shopped at Cabela's for years and I honestly think they are, IMO, the epitome of "Customer Service".

It wasn't too long ago a guy could buy a pair of boots, waders, etc, and dang near wear them out and then return them for whatever reason.

Obviously this was abused and hence the new policy for returns and such, but my point is that they have always been the standard in the industry to be compared to.

Sounds to me like there was a system error and there probably wasn't anything they could do. However, that being said, did you tell them what you would expect from them to make it right? Did you ask to speak to a manager?

I have had to do this on a couple of occasions and usually I am taken care of.

All retailers are going to make mistakes from time to time, even Sportsmans, Gander Mtn and Bass Pro. Shop with them long enough and you will have similar experiences I am sure.

I have not read each thread but from an employers perspective I can tell you that the person on the phone can only do so much. Bottom line I have the final decision and the employees under me do not. Same as the rep on the phone. They can only offer what they are allowed; no more no less. I think Cabela's is wonderful in every way and yes I spend a bunch of money there each year and 99% of it is ordered via the net. I can also tell you another thing regarding returns. Cabela's does not take the hit on boots that are returned after they are worn out or any other product for that matter. The supplier takes the hit and Cabela's comes off smelling like a rose. The supplier has to live with it even though they know it is a joke or Cabela's will kick them to the curb. It is just like a discount. They are not offering the discount; the supplier is offering the discount and Cabela's reduces the price and makes the same margin.

Well, I was in there last night. I'm in the ammo department...I says, do you have any three fifty-seven....Maximum ammo. He says, Maximum, not magnum. I says yep. By now, I'm reading the kids face and I can tell that we are not on the same planet. I says, Nope, you don't have it (cause juding by his face, he's never even heard of it before).
John 14:6

I ordered from Cabela's Oct 18th, one week later I called customer service to ask about my order. I called the number listed for customer service on their website.

1st person told me that my order was in process, then he told me it would arrive possibly wednesday. I asked for more information, whether it had shipped or not but he could not tell me.
I asked for someone else to speak to, he then told me he would transfer me to customer service. ???? Isn't that who I called to begin with? Apparently not.

2nd person accessed the wrong order twice, then gave me incorrect information, then told me my package should have arrived that day, then told me it might get to me the next day. When I asked when it had shipped she could not tell me. I asked about how I usually get an e-mail telling me when my order shipped, she said that she wasn't sure what happened. I asked to speak to someone else.

3rd person accessed the order, apologized and told me they were changing systems right now and that I should get my package "soon". I then commented on how the search feature on the website is not working correctly, when searching by size it pulls up clothing not even offered in the size indicated by the search, thereby wasting a lot of time. I was told that it was not her department.

All that to say that with many purchases handled smoothly, this last couple weeks I have had some problems with them as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom