Cabelas Dry Plus???

nk

Anyone have any comments on the Dry Plus material that Cabelas uses with the material they use? How does it compare to Rivers West, Gortex or Sitca gear. I know there isn't a 100% dry system but any info would be nice.
nk

I've been using one of their jackets for about 4 years and it performs great. I take it on backcountry week long trips so it gets a real work out. I also forgot to mention I hunt in Western Washington so yes we do get rain.

Coon

They work great for me as well.

I have learned that you need 2 sets...insulated and non-insulated...The insul. are too warm for early season weather..

horsepoop.gif

I use the Cabelas Revolution Dry Plus. Great stuff and worth the money. I lost my pullover last year at the cost of 90 bucks to replace, along with my elk bugle. The pants Ive had for four seasons and they are still holding up strong.

I bought a pair of Cabelas boots with Dry Plus, they leaked the very first time I bought them. Good thing about Cabelas, the refunded, no questions asked.

I agree with ForkWest. I bought two pairs of Cabelas Master Guide boots and they both leaked within one year of their purchase. I'm patiently waiting for the Denver store to open so I can try every boot on in the place. From now on it's Gore-Tex or nothing! Previously I had Wolverine Gore-Tex boots that I wore out before they ever leaked. Maybe it's just a boot problem due to all of the flexing in the forefoot! New boots,whatever they are, will be all leather, no cordura.

I have a Cabela's parka that is Gore-Tex and a set of bibs that are Dry-Plus and I don't see any difference in them. Their breathability and waterproof seem to be about the same.

I had a Remington parka from Walmart(don't know what they used for the waterproof lining) that I didn't like, it wouldn't breathe, the inside lining would stay wet from perspiration.

I have owned both gortex and DryPlus. Gortex is more waterproof, breathable, and windproof in my opinion.

I read an article, don't remember were, that said that several people have copied the Gortex material very closely. The difference is this...Gortex dictates the process of laminating their product into the coat, boots etc. The copies are not controlled by the MFG in the secondary processing. This article said many MFG's are doing a good job of laminating the copies but a few are not leading to poor performance. They basically said that the product in it's raw form is every bit as good but the process of installing it into the finished product may be inferior.

Coon

I don't know any scientific stuff, but I do know that I own a pair of Cabela's Dry Plus jacket and pants. I've had them for several years, hunted all over. I broke them in on a trip to Kodiak Island for Sitka deer in late Nov/early Dec. It was cold, wet and rainy...I was dry and warm the entire hunt. That's enough for me.
Good luck in your search!

Scott G.

I have not had good luck with Dry Plus. Mine have always leaked. The Cabelas MTO50 with Gore-Tex has worked very, very well for me. The Quiet Pack is my current favorite camo waterproof/breathable shell set. Gore-Tex and eVent in general are great. When the exterior is dry it breathes very well, especially the eVent. Nothing breathes when the exterior is wet. You can't push water vapor through water droplets.

I love the Rivers West stuff. It is absolutely waterproof, tough, and quiet. It is great if I am riding a horse or quad or Ranger or just sitting and glassing but it is too heavy and will not breathe, at all, if you are going to be humping and sweating. It is also slow to dry out.

Sitka is nice stuff but the 90% jacket is a screen door. A light rain for any length of time will soak you. They sell the Downpour Jacket for the rain but I refuse to carry two separate shell pieces when one can do the job.

I am so fed up with the waterproof/breathable hunting shell gear that is available that I have contracted to build my own. The Rogue Jacket from Hardcore Outdoor will be out by the end of the summer.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I have the Cabelas Rain Suede packable rain gear that has Dry Plus and I have literally sat in down pours with it on and stayed dry. I am very satisfied with it. I also have a pair of Cabelas boots with Dry Plus, no complaits about them either.

Dry plus has worked for me. However, the clothes with it (and everything else) wears out too easily. I guess I "use them hard", but I wear them out too fast.

River's West claims to be UNBREAKABLE. They even have a 10-year guarantee. I don't know about 10, but they've held up through three, which is great in my book.

In 06 on an archery elk hunt my brother was useing Cabela's dry plus and I was useing MT50 from Cabela's we had two mornings of down right monsoon rain and I stayed alot dryer than he did!!! He would really be wet, I got damp but stayed pretty dry considering the rain we were in. He bought some MT50

I don't know about Dry Plus but I did just spend a week on Kodiak where we only saw the sun for two hours in a week of hunting. My MT50 Cabelas gortex failed me. I was wet every day.

A lot of the guides in Alaska recommend the Helly Hansen Impertec raingear for their clients. This is more rubberized and you will sweat but you won't get wet from the rain. Another option is the raingear from Peter Storm.

akhuntinfool

would you mind giving me some more detail about how the MTO50 failed you? Was it at the seems, zippers, which Cabelas models were they specificly, how old were they. Did they sweat out? That sort of thing.

I recommned MTO50 gear on my site based on my personal experience with it and always like to try to figure out what happened when something that works perfectly for me, fails for someone else.

As far as the HH stuff, it is great for crab fisherman in the North sea but I would not use it on a hunt. If you don't mind non-breathable shell gear, then Rivers West, in my opinion, is far superior in terms of durability, noise and color/camo. You can tear the HH stuff up, the RW fabric is pretty bombproof.

I am not familiar with Peter Storm but I will be soon.

Thanks.

Regards.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I did not get a reponse for akhuntinfool so I can only assume that, if his MTO50 really failed, it was either the result of misuse or a faulty piece which should be returned to Cabelas for a replacement.

I have been using MTO50 shell tops, bottoms and gloves for many years in all conditions and it has never failed me.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

The MTO50 I have is about 3 years old. Every day it rained hard and by early afternoon my shoulders and upper back would feel wet. I took off my jacket and my hunting partner told me my shirt was a darker color and looked wet. This confirmed that I was feeling wet. This raingear has worked well in light rain on many other adventures in Alaska but I would not recommend it when it rains hard and you don't have a place to dry out.

Thank you for the information. Another dumb question if you don't mind. What was your activity level? What was the layer underneathe made of?

Here is my guess. If the wetness was spotty or in a line it is usually from a seem or zipper. If it was consistant through out a large area like your back and shoulders, it is usually sweat. If it was raining hard and you were moving enough to sweat you "wetted out" which means the perspiration you generated had no where to go but sit on your skin and base layer and that is why you felt wet. Gore Tex or any other waterproof breathable does a pretty good job of "breathing" when the outside surface of the garment is dry because the water vapor/perspiration on the inside passes through and is evaporated out into the air. If it is raining and the outside of the garment is wet, then the water vapor/perspiration on the inside is going to stay inside because you can't push water vapor through water droplets.

So when it is raining or snowing hard the trick is not to perspire or to vent well enough to evaporate it.

If that is indeed what happened did the MTO50 really fail? Well, yes and no I guess. MTO50 has a shaved fleece nap exterior which when new has a pretty good DWR coating that beads up an sluffs off the water. As it ages, gets dirty, etc it looses it's water shedding ability and the fleece will get wet which serves to make the wetting out process occur quicker and worse. You can wash the jacket and revive the DWR with spray or wash in treatments. Works pretty good.

When you say it failed, I think that the Gore Tex laminate or the seems tape failed and the garment leaked. That just doesn't happen often and when it does, it is due to a manufacturing mistake or damage. I think you wetted out. So that is my bet on what happened but take it for what you paid for it.

I would love to be able to direct you to a better jacket but there is no fabric that I know of that will solve that problem. There is however, a waterproof hunting jacket that will breathe much better then Gore Tex but it is not here yet.

Regards

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Our activity level ranged from hiking with packs and snowshoes, and fighting our way through a jungle of alders to sitting and glassing in the rain. The underlayers were a base layer of thermax top with a polyester T-shirt over it when active, and a fleece jacket over that when we were sitting. A lot of time was spent sitting and glassing for bears and I know when I am wet from sweat. This was not the case as my tops were wet from the rain. Also how do you misuse raingear?

Misuse is wearing too many layers and not venting properly and expecting the rainwear to bail you out. You can't change basic chemistry and physics. The MTO50 didn't fail you. Gore-Tex didn't fail you. You were wet from your on perspiration. You wetted out.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom