Cabela's Rolling Block v. CVA Kodiak

luckless

All,
I drew a Muzzy Elk tag in my home unit. I can expect 50-125 yards shots and I want to buy a muzzy instead of using my father-in-law's older T/C. I really like wood stocks and have narrowed it down to a T-Hole Laminate Stocked CVA Kodiak or a Cabela's Rolling Block. I love vintage appearance of the Rolling BLock, but I may decide I want to scope the rifle and I don't think the look would be as cool.

DC

the Cabelas rolling block does look cool, but it appears that the stock is set up for open sight due to the drop off. If you did put a scope on it, you would probably have to add a cheek pad.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

True, the scope thing is still up in the air, though. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off without a scope in keeping my shots "sane". I don't have great eyesight and I'm not a trophy hunter, so I think 125 yards will be my longest shot. Only having hunted with a ML once and never having pulles the trigger on game, I wonder if the lack of a scope might not help me limit my shots to closer range with better clean kill expectations. Any thought?

DC

I have never used a scope on a muzzleloader, just never felt right on a front stuffer. Got plenty of guns with scopes.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Use open sights and challenge your self to become a better hunter and rely on your self to do the job. 125 yards with open sights on game is very very doable. The more Practice you do, the better you will be in the field.

Kind of like driving a car with an adult, The more you drive and learn, the better you are.

I'd rather see a new hunter pass up a shot on the last day of the hunt and go home empty than see someone with a scoped muzzle loader try a pop shot at an animal and wound it and never find the deer.

i've gone home empty a lot and there isnt one thing wrong with that. Well other than having less meat on the table lol.

I think you would also feel a lot more proud when you take down an animal with a muzzle loader.

www.GandersPowerbeltForu.Powerguild.net

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-08 AT 09:20PM (MST)[p]APBT,
Wise words. My problem is not hunting skill, although we can all get better. I'm more comcerned with taking a 25-06 style shot at 250, forgetting that I'm not hunting with my Rem Mtn Rifle. I range by eye, but less in yardage than inches of holdover w/ my 25-06.

This is where I think going scope-less will help. If I can see it in iron sights, it is hitable.

DC

I would suggest doing a lot of range work and decide what your groups look like at 100 yards. If you can keep them in or under 3 inches with iron sights and that is what you feel comfortable with go for it. Personally at 70 years of age iron sights just don't work for me anymore. I limit my shots to 125 yards even with the scope so I do not find that a problem. With or without the scope I rely very heavy on a range finder and have never been tempted to extend the range. I passed on an elk at 140 yards ranged as I had not shot the rifle at that range enough to be confident. That was the only shot I had that year so I came up empty. My personal opinion is that the scope makes kills more reliable not the other way around like the previous post indicated. However lets not get into the scope or no scope, traditional vs. modern etc. debate. You decide. As far as the Rolling Block, I have a Rolling Block in 40-65 and I love the rifle however, I have read some reports that the one from Cabelas was not doing so well for someone that had one. I think you will find more information and help from other rifle owners. Not sure why you limited to only two rifles, there are a lot of them out there that are quality. The Knight KRB is a rolling block design and it is set up for scope, Quality rifle and I like mine. In fact it is difficult to get down on the iron sights without a lot of hard pressing to the stock.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom