Cabelas VISA or Other Card?

elks96

Long Time Member
So I have been out of the Credit Card game now for about 5 years. I have gotten a bunch better at budgeting and would like to get a rewards type of card for my everyday purchases. I do not fly much so air miles is pointless. I have been looking at a Cabelas Card but not sure if Bass pro has a better options etc.

I will be using the card for fuel and groceries and will only charge up to my monthly allowed budget then paying off at the end of every month to avoid interest charges.

What are you using and why?

I have a Cabela's card. Good service. Have had them call several times when a charge looked questionable, such as out of country. When traveling I call Cabela's and inform I may/will have a charge not within my normal pattern.

I also use a credit card like writing a check, the money to cover is there. Pay in full every month. I have had a credit card since the late 70's and have never paid an interest charge.

from the "Heatland of Wyoming"

Elks96,

If you have lived in this modern world now for 5 years without a credit card I would say that you are better off not getting one now. The simple discipline of putting $25.00 bucks away in a savings account for each pay check will net you more then you would earn back using your credit card. On a monthly basic I could put close to a grand on my Cebals card each month (600.00 in groceries, 400.00 in fuel, pulse work expenses). With that I earn a whopping $10.00 in Cabalas points each month. If my wife did not need a Credit Card for some of her work expenses I would dump my credit cards in a hart beat.

400bull

I have a Cabelas Visa and I use it regularly, but I ALWAYS pay it off at the end of the month. I am a seasonal contractor and I am able to pay for supplies with the card, which gives me an additional amount of points that I can then cash in.
I regularly go to the local Cabelas for sporting goods and I often walk out of there without having to spend a dime, just using my points.
My wife would love for me to get sky miles with a card, but I like what I have.

A couple great replies that sound like what my reply would duplicate.

Cabela's card - Pay off bill monthly, build points and let them ride until I purchase my Idaho hunting license and bear tag with the points every spring!!!

I have both and prefer the Cabelas because I buy more hunting stuff and sometimes seems like Bass pro is more geared toward fishing.

However, you may want to check out the new cards that pay you 1% cash back. You get the same percentage (1%) that Cabelas gives you, but with mine they put it into an account that I have a visa debit card. That way I can shop for what I want and buy it from the cheapest source. Cabealas doesn't usually have the cheapest prices unless you get something on sale.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have a few different cards. I had the Cabelas but at only 1% back it doesn't add up very fast.

I have a chase card now. I get a better percentage back, and I can get a ton of different things back on it. They also have a sale on gift cards occasionally. Every quarter they also have 3 categories you get 5% back on. This quarter one of those is fuel which I buy anyway.

The other day they had Cabelas gift cards 10% off. So I used all my points I had saved up and got Cabelas gift cards.

I think credit cards are fine as long as you pay them off every month.

I put everything on it including rent. I never use cash or check.

yep, my cash card pays me 3% on gasoline everyday

But as he says, you have to pay it off in full every month or you will lose more than you gain.

txhunter58

I like my cabelas card but if I could do it over I would choose a card with cash back. But just read all hidden fees with any card you choose.

cabelas sucks!! Not worth the points you earn with the money you spend as stated earlier. Cabelas is over priced and only good for a half day of browsing. Spend your money elsewhere and get a card worth having tat will pay you cash back.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

I have a Cabelas card. The only thing I do not like is it takes 3 to 4 days to post a charge. You can see the difference in your account balance, but sometimes I wonder what is pending. You can call and they will tell you, but that's a pain. I'm personally trying not to use it anymore. The rewards aren't worth it to me.

I love the Cabela's card.I am a signature member(spend over $25k per year),so my points accrue fairly quickly.I also pay no annual fee.I pay for almost everything with it,and religiously pay the balance monthly.

Leica 1200 rangefinder-free.
Leupold rifle scope-50% off.
Nikon muzz scope-free
Wind Shear camo-free
many other odds and ends too numerous to mention-all free!

I have absolutely no idea how any other cards work.My Cabela's card is the only cc I have.

Their customer service is also outstanding.

I have a cabelas signature card it pays 3% on any purchase. I just had surgery and I paid my 3000.00 deductable for 2012 and 2013 with the cabelas card. No use sending a check when you get paid back, it's better than nothing. At the 10 year mark for having the card they sent me a nice high quality hunting knife.

I too got out of the Credit Card gig like 10 years ago.

With all the on-line appl./draw tags, I found it time to get just 1 card.

5-6 years ago I went to the Cabela's Visa.

I now have just over 2000 points from saving them up.

I am not quite in the Cabela's Black but am in the Silver.

Over the years, I have added allot of my utility monthly bill pay and the like, not just hunting appl. costs.

Just simply pay it in full off every month and you will get way ahead of the game.

I have not paid them 1 cent in interst in those 5-6 years.

Robb

>I have a cabelas signature card
>it pays 3% on any
>purchase. I just had
>surgery and I paid my
>3000.00 deductable for 2012 and
>2013 with the cabelas card.
>No use sending a check
>when you get paid back,
>it's better than nothing.
>At the 10 year mark
>for having the card they
>sent me a nice high
>quality hunting knife.

Are you sure it pays 3% on all purchases? I think mine does on purchases from Cabeals, but pays 1% on all other purchases.

txhunter58

Cash-back cards give you SO MUCH MORE flexibility. Why limit yourself to rewards that can only be used at one (often overpriced) store? I had a Cabela's card for 7 or 8 years before finally switching to a cash-back card. I only wish I would have switched sooner.

my credit card is through my investment company. The rewards can be used for their online catalog (basically everything) and also I can choose to get cash back or have the money sent to my Roth IRA, which obviously is the best option :)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I am lucky enough to have a business where I can charge $30-40,000 per month on cards that I pay off each month. So I have all three (cash card which I max out each month, the go to cabelas and then bass pro) So I average a $400 return per month! Gonna sure miss that when I retire!

txhunter58

I have used a Cabela's Visa for many years and have enjoyed the items I've been able to purchase with it but agree with the others that there are better cards out there now. Over the years the other cards have became more competitive and Cabela's prices have gone up. I don't think Bass Pro is any better.

I may be looking at changing cards soon. The other day I purchased a Work Sharp knife sharpener at Cabela's because I could use points and it was $100, I could have bought it elsewhere for $70.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-13 AT 02:28PM (MST)[p]Had a cabelas card for a long time, then I went to AMEX Blue cash, it was a great card at first but they started reducing the cash back percentages and where you could use them.

I just went to a capitol one cash rewards, no annual fee 1% on everything + a 50% bonus at the end of the year. Not great but 50% better then cabelas and you can use it wherever you want. Plus you can take the credit as a statemnet credit or have them send you a check.

Plus as a side not I hate that you cannot see pending charges on your cabelas card, it just deducts your availble balance and you have to call to get what the charge is. Capitol one sends me an email the second my card is charged. Really nice for draw results I just check my email for the CC charge.

I have a Cabelas Visa. The reason I keep it is because when I call them I always get someone and they are American!!!

I have a Wells Fargo that pays cash back to the principal on my home mortgage, again anything you do with a credit card only makes sense if you pay the card off every month, but I figure paying off some of the principal on my home mortgage will be a much better deal in the long run than more over priced hunting gear that I don't really need.

I use a Cabelas Club Visa and Zions Bank Visa. Nice thing about the Zions Bank is they recently changed the program. Now you just accumulate points and apply them to purchases down the road. You pick which purhase you want paid for with points. I like that option very much.

Cabela's Black Signature for years and always will be! 1% on $100k charged adds up quickly and have gotten alot of free gear from that. Outstanding customer service. I pay mine 100% each month. You get 2-3% on Cabela's purchases and they have a couple of times a year where it goes to 5%. In addition I found out last year, due to hunt application overlap, that I can exceed my limit by 50% before they even sweat it with a good record! If you are worried about Cabela's prices do like I do and buy products that are price controlled from the manufacturer. They run a tight ship on security from my experience as well.

>I have a Cabelas Visa. The
>reason I keep it is
>because when I call them
>I always get someone and
>they are American!!!

That is another great benefit.

I just got a Cabelas Visa before Christmas, love it so far. Run it up then pay if off every month, the 1% is measly but better than nothing. I have read that if you don't carry a balance that they will lower your limit to $500, no matter your credit score. Don't know how true it is, wait...I read it online so it must be true....

>I just got a Cabelas Visa
>before Christmas, love it so
>far. Run it up then
>pay if off every month,
>the 1% is measly but
>better than nothing. I have
>read that if you don't
>carry a balance that they
>will lower your limit to
>$500, no matter your credit
>score. Don't know how true
>it is, wait...I read it
>online so it must be
>true....

*** Not true! I've had one for years with a $15,000 limit and pay it off every month with no hint of what you mentioned.

Paying it off every month does the opposite....it raises your limit. I believe in an attempt to get you to run a balance.

Yep, mine is $25,000 and they have never threatened to lower it

txhunter58

I think they raise your limit in hopes that you will charge too much up on it and not be able to pay the balance at some point,LOL.I could buy a new car with what my limit is.

My cousin is a remodeling contractor, who uses his Cabelas card for construction supplies. Last year alone, he put $340,000.00 on it and never paid a dime of interest.
His customers are aware of what he is doing, so they make material cost payments monthly, allowing him to clear the balance prior to any charges.I would be jealous of all his free stuff, but I get some pretty cool Birthday chit...

" I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

I love my Cabela's card and like most others I pay it off monthly. I have never paid a single cent of interest in over 8 years.

One trick I have learned over the years is to time my shopping sprees. If you are Black then you get 5% back on Cabela's purchases and if you wait till they run their specials (3X points, etc.) you can make your return on Cabela's items up to 15%.

I just note what I need and then wait till the timing is right, when I am able of course.

I also do shop around and often times find that Cabela's prices are higher. In these cases I simply go elsewhere when the points I would get back are lower than the price difference.

I have received a lot of free stuff doing this and will continue to do so.

Large Liberty Gun Safe - Free
Thompson Muzzy - Free
Judge Pistol - Free
Tons of other misc clothing, ammo, etc. - Free

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Yet again another sweet benefit of using a Cabela's card---

I just did an $1,100.00 purchase on Cabela's website...

Plus, I did my 2013 Nv. non-ressy license....

Total---1,244.+ change...

I jumped over to my Hunt Acct.----transfered the $1,245.00 and the on-line pymnt will show up about the same dang day (15th) as the charges.....say goodbye to any balance due!

And I just got 34.+ change in Cabela's points....

By Fathers Day----with this-n-that for home Spring/Outdoors stuff....and those few States to still apply in....

I will be kissing 3000 Cabela's points....and that is at the 1/2 year timeframe!

Ya just gotta love Cabela's card fella's.

Robb

Yeh----I thought well maybe not quite 3000 points by Fathers Day---myself after I hit submit...!!!!

It has taken me 3 years to get 2000 points.....

Wishfull daydreaming last night is very obvious this morning! ha

Robb

I put in a few of my buddies for tags as well as my own. It has climbed to about $1500 in points annually. Now if NM would just send a check rather than refunding your card, I would be set.

On that note Robb, what do you think would happen if I utilized all my points between the NM application deadline and the refund date??? Would they then make my points negative (-)?

The stuff i bought at Cabelas had to come from my own pocket, this is how i look at it now and have been for awhile.

Some years ago, I ordered up a rangefinder and a new set of binoculars from cabelas. I had scoured over the big hard cover books they had sent me and finally decided on a range finder unit and a pair of 10X42 glass that totaled right near $850. Not the best by far but not junk either.

When i ordered the stuff up, they were out of stock as they were sale items. I ordered the same exact finder and Bino's from another less advertised cataloge Co but to my surprise, the cost was only $700.

Yeah, i understand that Cabelas has good service... but the numbers, for me anyway, don't add up to buying stuff there getting points or dollars back from a credit card or not.

Sorry to be a debbie downer here but i consider Cabelas a rip off, their prices are out of hand!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-13 AT 07:05AM (MST)[p]Certainly Cabelas' has some higher prices than other places.....but they don't sell junk.

Thing is, you get what you pay for, it gets here quick and if I don't like it for ANY reason they will take it back.

Sometimes, they advertise a non Cabelas' brand that Amazon will sell much cheaper and I may take a chance on it if I need/want it, but for the most part, all my stuff comes from Cabelas' because I KNOW I have recourse if it ain't right.

Good customer service is the most important thing for me and Cabelas' never once has let me down........and given the size of the business, there must be a bunch of guys that think like me.

BassPro, Scheels, Sportsmens Warehouse, #####'s and several others are OK also. There are lots of choices.

Funny that you can't say D.I.C.K.S on here.....LOL

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

No doubt Cabela's has high prices.That's why you wait til the items you need go on sale;or Cabela's is running a special where they double or triple your points for a purchase,etc.

Sometimes you might pay less elsewhere,but the difference in the number of points earned and price paid will actually put you ahead at the end of the day.

Delmag-Good question.Would be interesting to see how Cabela's would handle that situation.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-13 AT 02:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-13 AT 02:48?PM (MST)

edit: Darn typos!!

I did something that i don't ordinarily do, I didn't read all the comments before i went ahead and posted mine. I now see where a lot of you guys are using your card to get things elsewhere, that you normally would buy anyway, to rack up Cabelas points. I guess if you're going to use a card or buy something anyway, might as well get the free stuff as a benefit.

I now see you guys reasoning, my mistake, but i'll still be shopping elsewhere for the bit of stuff i might need to get. Once burned, it takes awhile for the crispy to wear off! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I was in a Cabela's once and was talking to a sales guy telling him the Double Bull Matrix blind I had wasn't really a good bow hunting blind because some of the shooting windows were too low. The guy asked if I had it with me and if I did go get one you like. The Matrix was 3 years old and I swapped it in on a DB Dark Horse blind. Not many places are going to do you like that....Cabela's +1

d-1942,

I am certainly not the guy to ask about spending points....

Maybe call Cabela's with your question??

I do not recall ever reading nor hearing of anyone having negative (-) point balance???

Sorry---not much help

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom