Cabo Saltwater Recommendations?

Lv2hnt

Very Active Member
Going to be in Cabo San Lucas late next week (very last of April) and want to hire a boat for a day's fishing with some friends. Anyone actually have recent, positive experience with a guide/outfit you'd recommend? I know how/where to research on-line, but am looking for personal input. Thanks in advance ,,,

Lv2hnt

Check out Flyhooker.com. Talk to Mary. She will set you up with rooms, boats, people to clean and smoke your catch, restaruaunts, ect. They really are honest and have access to great boats. Cabo can be really expensive if you dont know where to go. They set us up with a room that overlooks the harbor. I went there a year ago about this time. We caught a ton of fish. I can email you some pics of our haul if you would like.

It was a few years ago but I fished with Picante Bluewater Sportfishing and we had a great day. Caught tuna and one striped marlin. We were on the 35' boat called Salsa. The web site is:

Picantesportfishing.com

I will charter with them again on my next visit.

azrhodes

Think we're all set for next week. Will post again after we get back. Thanks for your input ...

Lv2hnt

I have fished down there a lot. I had my boat docked in the marina for a month this past January. What kind of fish do you want to catch? Tuna, dorado, marlin, mako shark, sierra, grouper, snapper, skipjack or squid? I can tell you a general area of where to go. I know you won't have a personal boat but it might help to keep your skipper honest. It is Mexico. It is always changing down there on water temps/fish congregations. It pays to find out what your guide has been catching the past few outings. There are definately better guides than others. Some of the guides will take you on a boat ride and collect a check, some will take you to the lighthouse and sit in 300 ft of water and drown bait all day, pretty boring for me, but you can catch a marlin that way. Other guides will have the skinny on some Tuna 35 miles out and not hesitate to go out that far day after day in pursuit. Others will say it's too far and stay close to the marina (fuel costs money). Do some research. I have been fishing with 3 outfits down there and the best one for us was Dreammakers. Take the panga skippered by Fransico. That guy will catch you fish, I promise. They have several boats to pick from starting with inshore pangas and going up to 42' tournament setup boats, prices range for 150-1500 per day. I don't like there bigger boat captains. Lazy and a bit cocky. They want a big tip for nothing, a good tip is 20% of the boat and a bad tip is 10% of the boat. They got a lot of 7% tips from us and there shitty attitude and no catching fish lazyness. Another thread on the actual crap that happened.

This is a couple of Dorado caught on the Gordo banks in Junuary.

49f461df5b16d076.jpg

If you like a drink hit the Baja Cantina on the Marina by the big boats, can't beat the price and the view.

Good luck fishing

Scott, thanks for your input! We're leaving for Cabo this week on Wed. morning --- if you have a second or two, it'd be great if you could send me a P.M. with any other good stuff you have on the fishing there. We're booked with someone who was recommended to us, but it never hurts to go into a gunfight with your pistolas fully loaded ...

Lv2hnt

Here's a re-posting from another forum thread here on MM ---

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, went down to Los Cabos despite all the flu hype. Chartered a boat with some friends who wanted to hook fish and have fun, not go after the chance to bring maybe one marlin to the boat in a whole day's fishing.

So we stayed closer in and boated our fill of sierra and yellowtail, and threw a lot of bonita back! Lost a couple of nice yellowtail to sea lions early on (that was something to have the fish coming up under the boat when --- whzzzzz --- yowzer!). Didn't figure out what had happened at first, but cursed the thieves with gusto after that.

One of the special moments was getting my wife up in a parasail for the first time (I wanted to help her ease her fear of heights). Now she's talking about skydiving --- I've created a monster! Like my dad (a former bomber instructor) always has said, "Anybody who wants to jump out of a perfectly good airplane is NUTS!"

Also saw Greg Norman's NICE yacht (with a helicopter on the aft landing deck) anchored in Cabo. Quite a sight!

Anyway, everybody had a great time, ate more than our share of some awesome food, and didn't mind the uncrowdedness at all (hah!) ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Scott, thanks a lot for your input -- will definitely put some of that to use in the future (I was up against 3 other guys on how to spend the day, so decided to go with the flow). Maybe a panga next time (?) ...

Lv2hnt

Tom,

I am glad you had a great time, that's what Cabo is all about.

You gotta post some pics or send them to me and I'll post them.

Scott

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom