Cache Elk herd

WannaB

I grew up in Cache Valley and had the elk pretty nailed down in the 90’s and early 2000’s. There were a lot of elk. I just moved back after being gone for 17 years and it seems that either the elk numbers are drastically down or they aren’t where they used to be, so which is it? I’ve put a lot of miles on my boots this summer and fall, I’ve seen sign, but not an abundance. Any insight?

It seemed to me that the elk herd on the North Cache tanked when it was opened for general spike elk hunting, which includes unlimited archery tags with option to take antlerless elk in addition to spikes. I don‘t remember what year that happened, but I’m pretty sure it was within the last 17 years. I can’t really speak to the South Cache, but I do know that they have raised age objectives on the South Cache a few years ago. I suspect they raised the age objective for South Cache because people were not as satisfied with the quality trends. I don’t think we’ll ever see the North Cache managed for higher age objectives, perhaps because of its proximity to a general season unit Idaho. However, there were pictures on MM of a giant bull that was reportedly killed on the North Cache late last year by a hunter with a statewide conservation tag.

Cow and calf numbers are a Joke on the North Cache and not much better on the south. The DWR counts elk that move into the hardware and half come from Ogden unit or CWMU. Some nice bulls on both units. Over all numbers are not good, however the DWR may say they are near objective and keep slaughtering cows.
Had lots of cameras out in June and July, not many cows. Things need to change.

Cow and calf numbers are a Joke on the North Cache and not much better on the south. The DWR counts elk that move into the hardware and half come from Ogden unit or CWMU. Some nice bulls on both units. Over all numbers are not good, however the DWR may say they are near objective and keep slaughtering cows.
Had lots of cameras out in June and July, not many cows. Things need to change.
That is the same thing I found. I can pick up a bull or two on cameras, but not many cows at all. Honestly, all the sign and glassing tells me there are only a few bulls around...very few cows/calfs. I assume there are better numbers somewhere on the unit, but they aren't where they use to be.

Don’t leave elk, to find elk..
While I agree with the general rule, it's not really relevant to the question. I moved 3-5 hours from where I have been hunting over the past 17 years. I'm not interested in the expense required to go down there to kill a cow/spike. I'm looking for local knowledge/insight.

A lot of elk on the south cache, not the big bulls of early days of LE but plenty the Ogden elk and most the southern south cache are the same elk and they won’t get hurt if they shoot cows.
The north side is a bit spotty but there are some there just harder to locate if you don’t know where to look and yes it took a shizz when they opened it up to spikes
Still way more then in the 80s but we had deer then.

A lot of elk on the south cache, not the big bulls of early days of LE but plenty the Ogden elk and most the southern south cache are the same elk and they won’t get hurt if they shoot cows.
The north side is a bit spotty but there are some there just harder to locate if you don’t know where to look and yes it took a shizz when they opened it up to spikes
Still way more then in the 80s but we had deer then.
Good input, thanks

That is the same thing I found. I can pick up a bull or two on cameras, but not many cows at all. Honestly, all the sign and glassing tells me there are only a few bulls around...very few cows/calfs. I assume there are better numbers somewhere on the unit, but they aren't where they use to be.
That is a wrong assumption that their are better or good numbers of cows in north cache in some areas. I had cameras in 20 square miles. There are lone nice six point bulls that are with out cows, because there just isn't many. Hope for a change in the future.

Been asking around sounds like DWR not sure if it was Idaho or utah or both killed about 250 cows on the border a year ago
This is second hand info so ya know,,,,,,,
I am still seeing plenty cows and bulls on the south cache with little effort

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom