Caldera Turkey

muley505

I was contemplating putting in for the Valles Caldera turkey tag this year, and I was curious if any of you fine, upstanding gents (or gals) have ever hunted turkey there or perhaps seen turkeys while elk hunting? Also, for any of you who have done the hunt before, are there any rules on keeping sheds if you find them while turkey hunting? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have not hunted turkey there, but have seen plenty while elk hunting. As for picking up sheds, it is prohibited to pick up sheds on the Caldera. They will most likely tell you to mark them on your GPS and give them the coordinates. At least that's what they told me. But I would imagine stopping to mark all the sheds one might find in April would be a HUGE time consuming endeavor.

I have also seen a bunch while elk hunting. I have never hunted turkeys there, or anywhere. Picking up sheds is a no no:)

I am 4/4 on elk hunts, saw turkeys every time. I am 0/2 on turkey hunts, saw birds both times. They are there for sure, but they seem to be very localized, and they are turkeys, hard to hunt. Put in a ticket. If you are lucky to draw you can tour lots of the VC, and you might see a bird, but you will see a bunch of other cool stuff.

Thanks for the info. That's a drag about sheds. That's one of my favorite aspects of turkey hunting, and it would be frustrating to find some nice ones and have to walk away. I definitely wouldn't mark them either. If they don't want me having them, they can do the leg work to find them. I think it would be a neat place to hunt turkeys, and the experience alone would probably be worth the $10.

NMChem, when you hunted it, did the hunters spread out, or was there enough elbow room for everyone? I realize it's a big place, but if the turkeys are localized, is everyone calling to the same couple of toms?

Thanks for the insight.

Thanks for the link CM...sounds like a good program for the kids... will get them off the couch for good day in the woods.
Jack

>>NMChem, when you hunted it, did the hunters spread out, or was there enough elbow room for everyone? I realize it's a big place, but if the turkeys are localized, is everyone calling to the same couple of toms? <<

Back then, they assigned about 5-6 hunt areas, so people were spread out. If they manage the hunt like the recent elk hunts, there are no assigned areas.

That link was from 2004. I don't believe they do that anymore.

I've elk hunted the VC and saw turkeys but haven't been lucky enough to draw out for a turkey hunt yet.

It's hard for turkey..thing is, is that there is still alot of snow so if you can get in then yes you'll have fun hunting turkeys, if not then good luck finding them in the 2 areas 19 other hunters are hunting ? both roads in will have 4-8 foot wind drifts in the shady areas so even the main road will be closed being they don't plow!

It's hard for turkey..thing is, is that there is still alot of snow so if you can get in then yes you'll have fun hunting turkeys, if not then good luck finding them in the 2 areas 19 other hunters are hunting ? both roads in will have 4-8 foot wind drifts in the shady areas so even the main road will be closed being they don't plow!
This thread is almost old enough in dog years to draw social security.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom