caldera

G

ghosthunter

i drew a ml permit for the caldera hunt what should a guy honestly hold out for a bull.

From my limited experience there I would say anything over 320 is a good bull to take. There are a very few taken over 350 but pretty rare. I think the average bull taken in there is in the 275 range. One thing to remember is that if you don't get assigned the best unit early in the hunt, be patient as you more than likely will be able to move units mid way through the hunt if you want. Every unit has elk, but some are definately better than others.

Travis

All indications are the ML hunt has the best chance for the biggest bulls, so congrats on a great tag. Last year the biggest bull was a 7 X 7 360+ taken on the ML hunt if I remember correctly, photo was posted by NMPaul if you do a search. There have been a few 370-390 bulls (unofficial score) shot in recent history (as shown on website), but only a handfull.

Overall I agree with what Travis said. In the orientation they will tell you the average scores and biggest scores from previous year. I was on archery hunt last year and saw lots of nice 6 X 6 in 280-300 class, a few that were probably 320-330 (rough guess), and one or too substantially bigger, including the one mentioned above shot in ML hunt. It was odd (to me) that I saw very few raghorns and 5 X 5's, lot's of mature 6 X 6's, just very few monsters. But it was still a blast, funnest elk hunt I've ever been on.

Good luck,
JR

You should get the opportunity to shoot a 300+ bull.

I also won that tag this year. This was not blind luck. I waste a lot of money on raffle tickets.
My wife shot a 362 7x7 last year and I dont think I will see its match.

I plan on taking my 10 yr old son with me this year or my wife as my companion.

I had her pass on several 300+ bulls and she shot her bull on the 3rd day.

PM me and I can tell you what little I know.

Paul

Paul--I remember you posting her bull picture and it was a dandy bull ya got her into.

I didn't get the mzzy bull tag this year....but it was worth the $$ and the daydreaming until the results came out!

Good luck to both you guys with 'my' tag...!ha

Robb

Just got back from fishing the Caldera. Last week of May. I would say we say between 300-400 elk. I was fishing and had a large lone bull velvet horns sticking out two or three feet come down and drink 200 yards from me. That place is amazing. Spent $700 in lottery tickets but no draw, shucks goes for a good cause. Hey the Governments got it, they will find a way to mess it up. Go soon.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom