Caliber question

S

sagarcher

I may get the chance to bowhunt caribou on the tundra this August...is a .357 magnum sufficient to take down a Grizzly in the event of an attack? Or should I look at a .41 mag or .44 mag? Thanks.

I've never been near a Grizz, but I would definitely take the biggest gun I could if I was in their territory. I wouldn't trust a .357 to do the job.

I used to live in the circle(alaska)... .357 is what we call the tickler.. the bear tickler... Make sure you file off the front sight so when the bear shoves it up you rear-end it won't hurt so much.. j/k
I have a .454 Casull that I love..
j-dawg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-03 AT 03:01PM (MST)[p]i have a good friend who guides kodiak hunters on the karluk river each spring. he swears that the only reason to take a pistol, any pistol, on a bear hunt is to shoot yourself to stop the pain of being eaten by a bear. he says you better have one big, mean rifle if you're going to stop one that is charging. he is also a salmon guide on the king salmon river in the summer. the bears there are big, but not as big as on kodiak, but will still eat you if things go wrong. he carries a remington wingmaster 12 guage pump with a 20" barrel, full length magazine and pistol grip, loaded with 00 or 000 buckshot and maybe a slug as the last round. he's had to use it several times. said the hardest thing to do is wait until they are close enough to hit in the eyes. this guy knows his stuff, and he actually laughs at the thought of anyone using a pistol, even as a last resort, for bear. he won't let a hunter use anything less than a .375 h&h. he has an old model 71 winchester lever action in .348 winchester that he packs as his back up, when guiding. he shortened the barell a couple inches and put a little longer magazine on it so it will hold a couple more shells. (they came with a half magazine). if you're worried about bears, i'd have a rifle back up. a big one with a hole in the barrel big enough that a squirrel could live in it. like ol' Lester says, like as not, nothing real scary is going to happen, but when it does you best make sure that things are on your side. he's never been mauled, and don't plan on it. but he said there were several times that if he had less gun, he might have been.

>I may get the chance to
>bowhunt caribou on the tundra
>this August...is a .357 magnum
>sufficient to take down a
>Grizzly in the event
>of an attack? Or should
>I look at a .41
>mag or .44 mag? Thanks.
>
Shoot 5 shots at the bear, and when you feel him tearing your scalp away from your skull use the last one on yourself!! Please get a 44 mag or you can buy a cheap Mosberg 12 ga. riot gun load it with good slugs. Two of my friends were hunting sheep in the Wrangel mts. a 685 lb. bear charged from a willow thickett Gene managed hit the bruin once with his 454 casul before it overtook him,wayne drew his 44 mag and fired all 6 rounds at 4 feet still the bear continued to maul Gene, finally one well placed shot behind the ear from waynes 7mm mag killer the bear. Amazingly Gene escaped with assorted bumps and bruises a little less hide and 21 stitches in his scalp!!!!!

gutpile8

I wouldn't even think about taking a handgun into Canada. You can not have handguns in Canada anyway. It wouldn't do much unless it was a rifle caliber and then it would only go in and not through. jovan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom