California Ram

bowguy

I was fortunate enough to draw a Desert Big Horn tag in my home state of California this year..well last year shot the ram this year. After 6 hard days of hunting with San Gorgonio Wilderness Outfitters and passing on a couple lesser rams I was blessed with an opportunity that we made the best of.

The ram was a one shot harvest with a Thompson Venture chambered in .300 Win Mag at 267 yards. The weapon was topped with a Trijicon 5-20x Accu-point scope with the ballistics and windage dial and side focus. Shooting Federal Premium 180 gr. Accubond. I had this set-up dialed out to 500 yards, but did not need it. The illuminated amber dot in the Trijicon scope is amazing, once the dot was on the ram it just seemed like I could not get the dot off the vital area.

Before I post the score lets have some guess'
He is the second largest ram taken this season in California with 4 hunters left. The number one taken this year so far was taken out of the same group as this ram which had 5 and is now down to 3.

163839_1680022353684_1031301357_1833612_105093_n.jpg

Don't shoot til your ready!

WOW.
Congratulations on an outstanding ram bowguy!
He looks like an old brute with stacked up rings. He certainly looks to me to be a "Book" ram +, but who cares what he scores.
Nice--thanks for sharing the picture.

Great looking ram! Congratulations!

I care little about the score (because he looks big no matter what) but I'm usually one who will throw my hat into the ring.

My guess would be 171 5/8".

You'll have to keep us posted so I can collect my prize when I win. LOL

Thanks for sharing a pics with us.

Zeke

A beautiful ram.

I agree - when you see a desert ram that big, there is no question - SHOOT - score later!!

My guess would be in the low 170's as well.

I would say that is right at 170 maybe a little bigger. Heck of a ram!!!!!

Congrats.

Awesome! What a beauty.
I would say that ram will make the book, and score around 174.
Just my guess.

That is a heck of a ram !! I agree with whats been said above, shoot and score him later. I am guessing he'll go 174 2/8. With 15 pts for sheep here in Utah, I hope this will be the year.

Ok Bowguy;

We've done enough "guessing the score" on your beautiful ram. We all agree he's low to mid 170's. The mass might actually have my 171" score a little low.

So..... what does he score? And what prize do I win? haha

He's a beauty and I agree with the other guys above.
SHOOT FIRST, TAPE LATER (or never)

Thanks for sharing your photo with us.

Zeke

Have not had anything official, but he biologist green scored him at 173 and 2/8"

Sorry all you win is the pat on your back for being good..

LOL! Thanks bowguy! I get lucky with a guess every once in a while. I thought I was going to be a little low after looking again at all the mass.

Oh... I'll take that pat on the back even though there were closer guesses.

Helluva ram!
Thanks for showing your prize ram to us. We LOVE wild Mtn Sheep!

Zeke

Parrey is the man.
He gets it done in California.

Remember his buck from a while back?

bt1kn8.jpg

Congrats to a good guy and a great hunter.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 01:15AM (MST)[p]beautiful deer...say, was that manzanita lookin buck also an outfitted deal?

nice ram by the way...looks like he had some sinusitus, primarily on the left?

it looks like you've since upgraded, but ya gotta love that old steiner---I have one exactly like it...shoot, a lot of 'comparable' new porro glass just straight falls short of them old roofies

ain't a very good field of view with that particular optic, but a very decent image of what you're looking at, anyway... unless its pressed hard against dawn or dusk, as that thing's low light performance is pretty abyssmal with the little exit pupil

but hell, why am i talking about binoculars... cheers to your nice old desert dude!

>Have not had anything official, but
>he biologist green scored him
>at 173 and 2/8"
>
>Sorry all you win is the
>pat on your back for
>being good..
>
>Don't shoot til your ready!

Dam I was 1/8" off, I guess I am going to have to practise my scoring, or the bio is going to have to learn to score properly:)

Once again great sheep. Maybe one day I will win a Desert raffle, until then I will chase Stones, Rockies and Cali's every year.

BHB

ha! just seen my garfunkel...dang dyslexia! porro and roofy seem to have gotten themselves buggered up

anyway, Bighorn Bob SHOULD get a prize for that score! but I guess livin in bc is just going to have to do for ya man ;)

like my buddy Pete told me one day when i was moaning about some stupid draw...'well, you know what the problem is eh? you live in the wrong country!' :)

Nope th buck was a found it myself..Same day blessing..never seen the buck before that day.

Yea the Steiners arepretty hard to beat..can't wait to try a pair ofthe new HD glass when they get them in stock.

right on man, great job...i just can't get over that hammer buck!!

and your ram ain't too bad either! ;)

say, what model are you looking at in the new steiner?

i think i am really going to go off the deep end and get my grubby paws on the extraordinary leica duovid 10/15...but THAT is pretty much entirely dependent on just how good my 'insider buddy connection' really is! :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom