California Sheep suggestions?

Wanted

Getting ready to apply and am racking my brain at which unit. Not into paying access or floating the rivers. Are there 165-170 class sheep in most units in the SE? I've been into sheep in the Steens and Sheepsheads while deer hunting, but never really paid them any attention. Been looking at Aldrich and South Central which seems to produce big rams, but I heard ODFW trapped/transplanted a bunch out of the So. Central plus 8 tags onthe unit sounds like alot. Thoughts?

just give me a tag, i'll deal with anything else;) i've helped on an upper owyhee hunt. lots of sheep, from what i seen 165-170 would be above average. depends on the hunter, i'd take any odds i could get really.

Check out the new hunt in the Heart mtn. refuge- four new tags, and you can see rams up on the rims all summer long. could be a slam-dunk.

I have seen rams in the upper Owyhee unit, lots of sheep. Very remote. I wouldn't say they go 160, but a 150's is more likely.

For that class of sheep you'd want the John Day or Deshutes hunts. the rest of the units struggle to produce a 160 ram most of the time, there are exceptions but the quality of these two hunts is far superior.

I would stay away from Hart Mtn for now, the cats have killed most of the larger rams. One of last years hunters found 12 Ram skulls while hunting.
The last couple of years alderich mtns have kicked out 165-180 rams.
South central unit contains about 7-8 different herds over a pretty large area, some rarely get hunted, i wouldn't sweat the tag numbers, there are some pretty easy areas in that one. Depends on what you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom