Called out the 747 Super Tanker

Eel, that 747 has flown over my house about 6-7 times during the past few days dropping it's load on the Complex fire in Butte & Plumas county. It will rattle the house as it goes over.

RELH

Awesome, hope they get some relief soon.

Unbelievable amounts of phos-chek being dropped.

Hopefully not,,, but that could hammer the Klamath drainage smolt survival for several years.

RELH, I guess we're just lucky to live in California and witness global warming first hand.

I'm gonna go with about 7 decades of forestry and range mismanagement instead. I can remember 25 years ago in my Dendrology course they were talking about this then and they sure weren't talking about global warming.

Cool video though.

Tristate I have to agree with you on the cause being poor forest management. Here in CA. it started in the late 70's when they stopped control burns during the winter time'
I knew two U.S. Forest members, one a district ranger and the other who conducted a lot of the control burns in our local forest. Both were very strong advocates of control burning to keep the brush down and predicted major fires if the control burning was stopped.
Our problem here was the state air quality board who would not allow the feds to conduct control burns citing poor air quality because CA. liberal Democrats enacted more stringent rules on air quality then the feds. they were listening to radical enviros that believed nature should control the forest and not mankind.
RELH

0B86BC5B-3415-417E-B628-56E1D24898BA.jpeg

It seems to me that one reason fires are bigger now days is partly because they don't fight fires like they used to. When I was a fire fighter we used to attack the fire where it was. If we saw smoke we hiked up to it and knocked it down. We did that lots. Smash it before it gets out of hand. We might be at it for 24 hour shifts.

Now days it seems they grab a map and pull back to some road or highway and try to stop it there, and hope it doesn't jump the line. Mop up seems to be the fire fighters main job now. Being on one fire for two months was unheard of. We have fires going now that will be here until winter comes.

It's actually fine to do that because I like fires for habitat, but don't blame it on climate change.

back when you were fighting fire eel all the trees were small....and there were no roads.....

Tristate I have to agree with you on the cause being poor forest management. Here in CA. it started in the late 70's when they stopped control burns during the winter time'
I knew two U.S. Forest members, one a district ranger and the other who conducted a lot of the control burns in our local forest. Both were very strong advocates of control burning to keep the brush down and predicted major fires if the control burning was stopped.
Our problem here was the state air quality board who would not allow the feds to conduct control burns citing poor air quality because CA. liberal Democrats enacted more stringent rules on air quality then the feds. they were listening to radical enviros that believed nature should control the forest and not mankind.
RELH
They are using the same reason now in Utah. The clearing index needs to be over 500 feet to allow control burning. The Forest Service or BLM will start a fire one day and then the next day the National Weather Service will say the clearing index is below 500 so they will need to stop the control burn. Alot of wasted money.

Eel, I just took a tour threw your country, and I gotta say it should be embarrassing the places they should have stopped a couple fires....

Here in Texas the counties place burn bans on us right when conditions get just prime for a controlled burn. They only lift the ban when its so wet its impossible to burn.

The fires suck but the planes are fun to watch. We never had the 747 around here, but we did have the L-1011.

They have a big slurry facility at the Durango airport, so lots of traffic during fire season.

The only big fire I have been involved with was the rim fire 2013. It burned / smoldered in the Tuolumne river canyon for 3 days as they watched from afar without even dropping water on it. Then a system pressure change came with high winds and blew it into what it became.

Fires back in the day didn’t burn like they do today. More logging took place, with less environmental groups shutting it down. Extra fuels in the forest now cause many areas havent had a prescribed burn. Probably was a higher risk of dieing as a fire fighter back in the day as well. Your not gonna send a crew into some of these spots with as hot as they are burning. Many more homes now are built in these areas too. Firefighters are spending more time protecting structures than actually fighting the fire it seems. And it isn’t global warming. Simple logic and patterns over time.

Well said bigbuckshooter. It was dangerous work back in the day. And there is a mind set of letting a fire burn now days while trying to protect private property. Not a bad thing, IMO.

that tanker came over to help with the Zogg fire. was in my back yard flying over our house. My kids thought it was so cool. Glad they were able to get the Zogg fire contained as quickly as they did. However 4 poeple lost thier lives including a young girl. Condolences to all who have had to deal with these fires.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom