calling cats

spotnstalkID

I am curious if there is anybody out there willing to lend a few helpful hints to calling cats (Mtn lion or bobcats)? I have been calling coyotes for several years now, have had good success and love doing it. I have been wanting to get out and try calling cats but don't know much about it. Are there certain calls that you guys use specifically that seem to bring 'em in more often than others? How long do you usually call for per sitting? What sort of sequencing in your calls? etc. Obviously fresh sign before calling is a plus, but what sort of sign should I be looking for if there is any besides tracks and crap?

Also, I live in southwestern Idaho, if any of you from this area can lead me in a decent direction to start that would be great as well. I have heard the Owyhees are a decent place for them but havn't spent much time over there. I'm not expecting anyones specific place to hunt from, just a general direction to start.

Any information to help out would be great! thanks in advance.

Jaxon

Jaxon,

I'm way south of you so my information is regional. Down here the bobcats live in thick country. The underbrush needs to be thick for them to hunt cottontail rabbits (main food source).

I call mostly with bird sounds when targeting bobcats. I still call in way more coyotes than bobcats. I use an electronic caller and keep the sound on all the time.

Don't use too much gun. A 22/250 will turn a beautiful pelt into an attractive toilet seat cover. Bobcats are very thin skinned and don't have much of a body either. I've got some other stuff here http://southwestadventures.tripod.com/predatoralbum/ if you want more.

Ed, www.swhounds.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom