Camcorder for Outdoor use

T

Texas_Hunter

We are looking at buying either a MiniDV or MiniDVD Camcorder and I was wonderng if you guys had any experience. We will be using it from family vacations to kid's sporting events to use during hunting seasons.

I am leaning towards the Sony right now because of the weight - 13oz to 18oz depending on the model in the MiniDV. Any thoughts?

Canon GL-2 or XL2

weight may be critical but I think picture and build quality are the main factors to consider. The canons listed above both have image stabilization and 20x optical zooms - both essential options for long-range shooting. Both capture production quality images.

Consider also battery life and build quality. The consumer grade stuff may not hold up under continued field use. Dust, dirt, rough handling etc.

Finalshot

I use a Sony mini-dvd with Zeiss lense. Have had it for 5 years, and have dropped it, got it wet, got it cold, and dirty, and only had one stoppage (zoom) that cost $279 to fix.

I use it 95% of the time in the field, its very small, compact, and battery life ( I carry two) is great.

I think it goes for about $800 now, I paid $1500 when I bought it new.

Just another idea.

Don Martin

I just purchased the new panasonic VDRM 70 this camcorder takes those 3 inch dvd's so all you have to do in put it into your computer or dvd player and play everything back
It also takes digital still shots something like 600 shots per dvd. I purchased mine new on ebay for 659.00 the manufactures suggested retail is 799.00
Also swarovski has made an adapter that screws onto the end of any camcorder as long as there has a screw on the end of the lenses and then you can attach your spotting scope to the camera for awsome optical pictures of video footage.
THE MAIN REASON I BOUGHT THE PANASONIC was consumer reports rates this model best for 2004-2005 the sony brands were like # 7 and # 9 on the list this panasonic was # 1 so that why I bought this model
Good luck

I got the canon zr90 and I like it for the extra zoom....seems like the image stabilizer isnt the greatest though. The clarity is great...even with a finger print on the lense...lol....something i need to get cleaned!
YB

Panasonic DVC 30, this thing rocks. I got rid of my Xl1, didn't care for it much. I like my GL2's but they have some serious quality and dependability issues. I will be selling my gl2's and switching over to the panny dvc 30. This thing will shoot in pitch black with the infrared adapter, perfect for videoing leopard hunts at night. Leica 16x lens, and much better build quality than the canon. I would suggest the Sony vx 2100 but they don't have enough zoom.

I also love my Canon ZR90. Seems to stand up pretty good to my abuse. And I do abuse it. :)
069729.gif

Do your research on this website here
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/d/Reviews&level_b=Camcorder.htm
Dont listen to anyone here because everyone has the best because he owns it.
Research out what you need for what condition you need it. I have the canon optura40 and it takes awsome video but fails to other models in low light, so if you need it for low ligh (like me) research one with good low light reviews. unfortunatly i bought mine before a review was out and ended up dissapointed.
you will find the compact units usually do not fair well in low light. Just like a still camera, the bigger the lense the better the low light.
I am talking about the low light thing because i take it you will want it for wildlife??

Ditto on the ZR90, I did not have the money for the GL2 . The video quality is good but I have had the same problem with the image stabilizer, it needs to be on a tripod or at least a solid rest. Light weight and very durable(a couple of weeks bouncing around in my backpack and lots of video) and the 22X optical zoom are great, I shut the digital zoom off.

MDnut

I'm on my third camcorder this year, used mostly for cold weather hunting conditions, my first two were a panisonic and a sharp, now I have gotten a sony, it is a minidv with the zeiss lens, it is a model DCR-HC40, I love this little unit, it is very lite and small and the picture is great.
I used it in 15 degree weather this year while hunting in Utah, under 20 degrees in Montana for a week and in high elevations and 10 degree weather in Washington and it worked great the entire season, IF i was going to replace it, it would be with the same unit.

Good Luck

Do you guys use your camcorders for your still photo shots also or do you pack two cams? I see that the camcorders do take still photos but I was told the quality is not that good. It would be easier to spend more money on the cam if it would kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Also I see the newer cams have the memory cards like a dig camera how do these work vs dvd. Thanks nwhunter

I have both Canon XL and GL. Both are good durable cameras with advantages and disadvantages. XL you can put an awesome 400mm lens set up if you want to spend $, it is also easier to hold steady than GL. I guess you can brace it better. Both have stabilizers, XL stabilizer is in removable lens. I have used XL for over 5 years of tough use and it has performed flawlessly. Used it last year in sub zero elk hunt and for years in NM dust.
Gl is nice just because of its size and wait. Its easy to pack. Both shoot same quality video.

Northwesthtr, the quality of stills that dvs shoot is not the same as a good still digital camera. They are not much different than pulling a still from rolling video on computer. Not sure what the purpose is but we have used them, (and memory cards) and went back to just pulling stills from film.

Keep the camera rolling, tape is cheap.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom