Camera or Stand? Which???

backinthegame

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-08 AT 09:17AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-08 AT 09:17?AM (MST)

All the threads recently involving trail cameras and such has got me wondering...what are you guys' opinions regarding what "holds" a hunting spot such as a trail or water hole? I realize that on public land nothing TECHNICALLY holds a spot, being that the land is open to all. But the question is this...does a trail cam show that an area is taken? A treestand or blind? Which one? For me, it's a stand or blind. That shows me that someone has definite plans to hunt the area. A trail cam to me says nothing more than someone is checking the area out, possibly hunting, yes, but no set in stone plans to do so. That's my feeling, but I want to hear some opinions from others. I know some feel differently, in fact I know of one guys who claims he'd pass over a water hole with a trail cam but wouldn't hesitate to hang a stand at water that already has a stand from someone else. Weird. AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! Let's hear some opinions...

The way I see it if you have something on the location such as a camera then that holds the spot as well as a tree stand or ground blind.

May I ask how you can hold a spot on
Public Property, is that not why on
public waterfowl hunting grounds
they suggest that you don't build
blinds because anyone can use them,
and they don't want any problems.

It seems to me that if your statement
is true, then if I pull into a trailhead
parking lot and there is a truck already
there, I am supposed to leave and find
a different spot?

Public property is public property,
no matter what is there.

Right on VR...I'm talking about common courtesy and hunting ethics or morals, whatever you want to call it. Besides BIGBULLS, if you re-read my original post you'll see I clearly mention exactly what you're talking about!

I agree with courtesy, but I know
there has got to be some people
out there that place several different
stands in the same area, just to keep
other people away, if they are courtious.

back in the game, I was not disagreeing
with your post it was fine, I just did not
like how the other one came across.

Or they could have plans to hunt a few different stand locations within the same canyon...I do see your point though BIGBULL. I'd like to hear more opinions on whether guys would hang a stand or build a blind on a location where someone else has hung a trail cam or put up a stand. I'd like to hear nvrmiss (Jeff Utter) chime in!!! Ha, ha!!!

If you are 'courteous' on the cache then you may as well stay home. As I have mentioned many leave multiple stands up year around. With all the hunters in Utah and limited space sometimes we are forced to have less than quality hunts or not at all. We have to learn that lots of us want the same thing and you shouldn't expect someone else who likes the same spot to give up his/her hunt just because you have something there.

If no one is in the stand when I get there I will hunt the area. If someone is there then I wont. I know several people who hang multiple stands in an area. If to be curteous no one else could hunt there, then they have tied up most of the water holes, and trails in an area. Some of the stands they dont hunt at all but but use as a back-up. Same goes for trailcams. Some people put up quite a few to look over an area. If someone gets there before me I wont hunt the area but if I get there first I expect them to respect my rights and hunt somewhere else. Its public land

I place cameras in many differant places. Just because my camera is there, does not hold that spot for me. I use them to see whats in the area or visiting the water hole.

The same goes for man made blinds/stands. If I dicide to sit in a blind, whether I made it or someone else did, it comes down to whoever is in it first.

If someone is already in the blind, I move on and hunt another area.

Now, if it is a manufactured blind or tree stand, that is someone's property, and I will not use it, but if I'm already there first, and the person shows up to get in their blind or stand, they should move on, that tree stand or blind does not give them exclusive right to the spot.

TT

I'd choose to move on unless I had a big animal scouted and was dead set on hunting that area. I hate hunting were other guys are, but I don't think I could sit in another dudes tree-stand, just because it's on public land. Obviously someone plans on hunting that area. I for one have never found a trail camera in the woods, but I do know where several tree stands are and try to avoid those spots.

We all hunt public land that belongs to all of us, but for myself I can't stand to have another hunter within sight, and I've been lucky enough to find some spots that I can hike into that don't get pressure.

I would be ticked though if I did hang a stand and found someone sitting in it.

Well said I feel the same way.

>I place cameras in many differant
>places. Just because my
>camera is there, does not
>hold that spot for me.
> I use them to
>see whats in the area
>or visiting the water hole.
>
>
>The same goes for man made
>blinds/stands. If I dicide to
>sit in a blind, whether
>I made it or someone
>else did, it comes down
>to whoever is in it
>first.
>
>If someone is already in the
>blind, I move on and
>hunt another area.
>
>Now, if it is a manufactured
>blind or tree stand, that
>is someone's property, and I
>will not use it, but
>if I'm already there first,
>and the person shows up
>to get in their blind
>or stand, they should move
>on, that tree stand or
>blind does not give them
>exclusive right to the spot.
>
>
>TT

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

The only i could see anybody holding a peice of public property is to be the first one up there in the morning. First come fisrt serve is my opinion. just because you go op a few months early dosen't mean you own that spot we all pay for that land. If i come across a blind or a carmer I will look someplace else just out of curtousey but if i have been planning on a certain spot and I am the there first its my hole. I would not use somebody elses blind or touch another persons camera because they are not mine.

Good Luck and Great Memories

None of those things mean a doggone thing. I've hunted for many years. I don't use a trail cam nor a bind. Just because you do, doesn't mean you get "dibs" on a place I want to hunt.

If I was there sometime in 1968 (I may have been), does that somehow mean you're not allowed there on opening morning?

Public land is public. IF I get there, only to find you're already there, I'll move on. If I get there and suspect you might also want to be there, I'll hunt.......it's only common sense.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom