Cameras

S

Sendero

Great photos fellas. What kind of camera would you recommend for some off season shooting. I want to get into wildlife photography as kind of a hobby when I am out and about. any suggestions for a camera and the cost of it.

Sendero
David

Many on here use the Olympus C-2100 UZ. I have one and they are great cameras. For wildlife photography they are great because they have a 10x optical zoom with an image stabilizer built in. It greatly reduces the need for a tripod. I got it last summer for about $500 from Compusa. I have seen them for sale on ebay as well. I have also heard rumors that Olympus no longer makes them, but I don't know if that is true or not.

archeryicon1.gif
_droptine_
archeryicon12.gif

I agree w/ droptine.I have the 2100UZ also and think it's a great camera.You may want to look into the the newer olympus models,I hear they came out with one with more megapixels (clearer image),I'm not sure though if it has the image stabilization.IS is something that you need when taking pictures of wildlife cause you don't usually have a tripod handy.Another thing to consider is ZOOM,you will want at least 10X optical zoom for wildlife.Digital zoom is just a marketing tool,when you use it the picture quality decreases (you can do the same effects of digital zoom on your computer anyway).

I will check into the Olympus Cameras. I really enjoy looking at the photos on the board and it got me pumped up to snap some of my own. Thanks again.

Sendero
David

You must have read my mind or something Bucksnort. I was looking on the web for them and did notice the camedia olympus. I haven't been able to find the Olympus 2100UZ posted. does anybody know what the equivalent would be?

I believe the 700UZ replaced it,the only problem is it don't have Image stabilization,this is something that is a must have for taking pictures at longer distances.

There are newer Olympuse's out that have a 10X optical and higher magapixels,but I'm not sure they have the IS.

Take your time and research alot of camera's before you commit to one.I personally think you can't go wrong w/ the 2100UZ,even though they may be harder to find nowday's.

You really need to be carefull if you buy a camera over the internet cause there are alot of crooks out there in the camera buisness.Alot of people I have talked to say not to order a camera out of New York,I guess there are some crappy operations there.

If you do decide to go w/ the 2100UZ let me know and I will get you some info on where I purchased mine.

I use the Nikon 990 coolpix, I'm looking at getting the 5700 coolpix. The Nikon digital cameras don't have great zoom lenses.

I figure I'm not up with the times...... I still use a Canon A1 35mm with a 210 telephoto lens. Sometimes I will put a polarized filter on it. The camera is about 25 years old and still shoots incredible pictures. Back then it was one of the best cameras you could buy and was widely used by a lot of professional photographers. If I had the $ to go with a digital it would definately be an Olympus. Tim

Howdy All,
I'm also looking for a new camera and have looked at a lot of web sites. Olmpus does'nt make the 2100uz anymore, they are hard to find. E-bay had one and sold fast, they have one now or atleast yesterday that will go for 750$ to 800$,just a guess.The reason I was looking for them is the Image stabilizer.
I've looked at Olmpus cameras and none of there new production cameras come with Image Stabilzers. I seem to not be able to find a still digital camera of any make in the 1000$ area that offers stabilazation. Camcorders yes they all seem to have it. My question is why would Olmpus stop putting it in there new cameras and have a little higher price or at least offer it as a option. Are the new cameras made better and they don't need the Image Stabilizer mode?
The camera I've been looking at is the Nikon 5700. I've tried a Sony camcorder that you can shoot stills with and with only 1.3 of megpix(sp) the 4"x6" print came out good.
I'm getting myself confused looking. I really enjoy looking at everyones pictures here.Any advice?
Gary

garerite

Canon also made a camera with a 10X stabilized lens. I am not sure if they are in production any more or not. It was a Canon Pro90 IS. It was the one camera that directly competed with the C2100UZ. Panasonic has also come out with a new camera which has a 12X image stabilized lens. It is only a 2.1 megapixel as well and I think it has less features than the C2100 and Pro 90 but does have a big lens. I am not sure if it has been released in the States yet or not. It is the Panasonic DMC-FZ1. You can read about both of these cameras on www.dpreview.com Those might be a couple of other options to look into for the big lens with the image stabilization. The stabilized lens is well worth it.

Saskman
www.saskatchewanbucks.com

Saskman,
Thank you for the response,I've tried to get back sooner but every time I sat down at the computer it seemed something had to be done from checking the turkey to all sorts of holiday duties. I've checked the link you sent and was very helpfull, but I still could'nt find either one of the cameras you recommened. I checked E-Bay and there sre 3 of the Canon 2100's there now, the auction ends in a few days for most,they all seem to be used cameras,I'm a little concerned about that, never know, the old " Buyer Beware". Maybe I'll drop Panasonic a e-mail and see when the DMC-FZ1 will be out.
Thank you again and happy holidays to you and your family.

Gary

I found the 2100 UZ for $549 on Dealtime.com. Go to their website and search for the camera. It will come up with a couple of links to websites of companies selling this camera. Please note this is for a refurbished unit with a 90 day warranty, not new. I found another place last week closer to $500 but I cannot locate this now.
Hope this helps.
Luke

David,
I hope you have not bought a camera yet!
You need to look at 35mm cameras, They are a
lot more versitile especially if you can't get
very close to you subject.
On Christmas day I compared my Minolta HTSI
to my brothers Nikon ($1500) digital with 10x
zoom. My 100-300 zoom lens got a closer and clearer
picture than his digital.
Our photos were of sparrows on a feeder at 20yds.
I have taken good pictures of deer out to 300 yards
and you can't do that with a digital, also enlargements
are far better with 35mm.
Just my point of view.
Allen

I'm using the Fuji FInePix 2800Zoom and so far I like it. I've had it for about 4 months and am still learning how to use it but it takes nice pictures, has a 6X optical zoom and a 2.5X digital zoom, 2 mega pixel (which I have been told that much above 2 you cant discern with the naked eye) and a 1.8" LCD monitor. It'll shoot a 60 second video with voice captioning and can be used for video confrencing on the web. All for about $350.00.

Mike

I just got my wife the Sony DSC-S85 which is 4.1 megapixels and seems to take great pictures. The only problem is it only has a 3X optical zoom. $497 at circuit city.

How many megapixels is the Olympus 2100uz?

The Olympus 2100uz is 2.1 megapixels, but you got to love that 10x stabilized optical zoom.

archeryicon1.gif
_droptine_
archeryicon12.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom