Cameron Hanes??

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
Just out of curiosity I have looking for some information on the web for Cameron and where he grew up as a kid. More interested to know what sports (if any) he played in high school and how old he was when he first picked up the bow. His grit and determination reminds me of a wrestler.

One of Dan Gable?s, ( highest regarded wrestler) Quotes: Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. Cameron reminds me of that quote.

Does anyone know?

GBA

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-10 AT 04:47PM (MST)[p]Did you try www.cameronhanes.com? Also go pick up his book Backcounty Bowhunting; A Trip On the Wild Side, excellent read.
WVBOWAK

That is frekin funny. Best laugh I've had in a long time. No offense to the thread author at all, you gotta admit that was FUNNY!!!!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

try subscribing to EASTMANS BOWHUNTING JOURNAL , he is a writer for them as well as a constant star on there tv show aired on the Outdoor channell

>Cam is no longer with EBJ.
>
>
>BOHNTR )))---------->

Yeh, he is now the host of Elk Chronicles and does some writing for magazines including Bowhunter Mag.

Lien2

I think he might have been from elgin oregon

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

The harder you work the luckier you get!!

He's from Oregon and still lives in Oregon with his family. Some relatives of mine are good family friends with Cam and his family. He lives outside of the Eugene, Oregon area. I won't be too specific.

He is a d-bag if you ever met him in person you would understand. P.s dont ever bring him to a hunting spot he will write a book about it with gps cordinates.

>always a hater out there.
>Its sad that with success,
>often comes jealous anger.

Wac must belong to the I Hate Every Successful Bowhunter Club. Chuck Adams was part of the hated club even before Cam got any national attention, in fact Chuck is the poster boy for archery hunting. Chuck had every lie in the book thown in his general direction and even some made up ones. One guy called a game warden to tell him that Chuck had poached one of his record book kills back in the late 90's early 2000's, only the guy said that Chuck was actually Fred Bear. Game warden told the guy that Fred Bear had been dead for several years, but the guy still insisted that the animal had been poached. Chuck said that he hears this all the time, "I could kill animals like that if I had......" you fill in the blank: money, time, sponsorship, etc. Point is we would all like to have that luck, we wouldn't be human if we said we didn't want just a small fraction of that kind of luck. So go on with the hating, we will keep on laughing at how petty you are.
WVBOWAK

Alot can be learned from guys like BigPig, BOHNTR and Cameron. I for one, like to sit back and learn. I'd kill for a chance to go on a hunt and learn from them.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I actually see cam quite a bit at a hiking trail here in Springfield the guy is a freak!! he runs up and down this giant mountain twice before my buddy and I get up and down once. He has killed some dandy Blacktail, but you dedicate yourself to the sport its bound to pay off sometime.

In my opinion Cameron is an asset to bowhunting. It's easy to see why he has such a fan base. Some guys have called him a sellout, but I really don't see why. I remember one thread on here going viral and was shut down because of all the haters. To me he is still preaching the same message that he always has. Train hard to hunt hard. I've seen one of his seminars at the ISE, but I've never talked to him so I couldn't tell you if he's a d-bag or the second coming of Christ. I do know that when I see his articles or any show with him, I am interested. I wish he wasn't with RMEF, that show sucks in my opinion and I only watch it because I hope to see him hunting, but rarely do they show him. I am huge fan of his and some other TV hunting personalities, but most don't appeal to me.

Wow, all this and I still didn't get the answer to my original post. I agree 100 percent and echo what ELKOHUNTER said about learning from Cameron and the guy?s here on this site. I have a great admiration for many of them and I have really learned a lot since finding this site years ago. Without a doubt it has made me a better hunter.

Cameron, Chuck Adams, Randy Ulmer, my hats off to you and people like you. You all get it done and I personally thank you all for teaching us along your way of success. BigPig, BOHNTR, SWbuckmaster, and a lot of other folks on here, too many to list. You guy?s are what makes this site awesome and informative and to me rank right up there with the for mentioned.

But still my question is, does anyone know about Cameron?s childhood and what he did is high school? Was he a foot ball player or maybe a wrestler or has he always been an archery hunter with the drive not many people possess. I still cant find anything on him. I've looked for interviews but nothing say?s too much about what he did as a kid or where his drive originated from. Oh, and I have no intention of stealing him away from his wife, he is too young for me anyway, ha ha ha LOL!!

GBA

I think he played basketball cause I remember something from his "Backcountry Bowhunting" book about making sure you have good socks, cause he went with the tried and true method he used playing hoops; which was two pair of cotton socks instead of one good pair of wool or other type of material. He said that his feet was hamburger by day one showing him that lessons in the backcountry isn't like on the court. From the books I have read about them both, Cam Hanes and Chuck Adams have been driven to succeed from day one. Chuck when he started beating his older sisters at a game, he started on purpose handicapping himself in order to challenge himself. I know that Cam and Roy Roth got started backcountry hunting with the help of llamas or alpacas (not sure which), and then Roy moved to Alaska; which left Cam on his own, so basically it is where he is at now. He had a few guys that could keep up with him to film the Eastman shows, but rarely does he have someone that hunts with him when there isn't a camera with him. In fact I am pretty certain he has stated in his writings he prefers to hunt alone. Chuch Adams is the same way. However my feeling for Randy Ulmer are different than those for Chuck and Cam. Randy is a world champion archer who happens to be a damn good bowhunter. He is consistent in nailing huge muleys over the past 5 years or so. I would love to have the money to get archery help from Randy, one of these days maybe. Seriously GotBowAz get his book "Backcountry Bowhunting", if you haven't already. It is a wonderful edition to the library.
WVBOWAK

WVBOWAK, Thank you for that information, I will get the book and read it for sure. What you have told me so far is very interesting. I really like the guy?s drive, it seem familiar in a way. As a once upon a time wrestler and a wrestling coach now I know that drive and what it feels like. That's why I was curious about what sport he may have been in during his high school years for a few wrestlers tend to have that same drive in life in the things they do as an adult.

Dr_Hunter, I have tried to contact him in Face book but it seems to be inactive. The site does now allow me to send him a private message but thanks just the same.

GBA

Well Cam's drive is what I would call somewhat excessive. He does ultra-marathons; which are long distance (50+miles) races cross country. He beat out Lance Armstrong at the Boston marathon back a year ago or so. He is certainly a driven individual, I would love to say that I would like to aspire to be like that, but I think I would fall flat on my face.
WVBOWAK

Cam seems to be a stand up guy.... I sent him an e-mail once upon a time a couple years back not thinkin' he would give me the time of day. Surprisingly he responded to my e-mail within a day or two and was very genuine. He closed his e-mail asking me to keep him informed on how I did on the upcoming hunts that fall. I did not keep in contact with him for whatever reason, but I felt it was pretty cool of him to give me the time of day. Just my 02'!!!
redelkarcher>>>---------------->

But in all seriousness, what is the fascination with the guy and why is he lumped into categories of extremely successful hunters with proven track records (Chuck Adams, Randy Ulmer, etc) when he's really unproven except for running the crap out of mountains and being on UA commercials and maybe a few blacktail deer? I never got that love affair with him that some people have...He's a celebrity? Of what?

I don't see his success in terms of BIG trophy animals nearly as much as I do his back country DIY drive and he has killed some nice animals along the way. I am also just as impressed with his camera crew. I have tried many times to get video of friends hunting and it's just as hard as being the hunter. But back to Cameron, I don't think anyone can argue his dedication to the archery world of hunting and in my experience that usually comes from somewhere. That's all I was asking about. Where did that drive originate??

GBA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom