Cameroon - Lord Derby Eland hunt

CAelknuts

I returned about a week ago from a hunt in the Savannah of northern Cameroon. It was an interesting and successful hunt with my long time friend, Alan Vincent, as my PH. The hunt was through Mayo Oldiri Safaris, on their Mayo Nduel & Mayo Vaimba concessions. Primary goal was a big Lord Derby Eland. I’ve posted a lengthy hunt report, both on Accurate Reloading as well as AfricaHunting websites, so won’t go into a long explanation here. But, here is a photo of the reason I went to Cameroon…

Lord derby eland Medium.jpeg

Last edited:
Geezus! That thing is ridiculous! What's the deal with the matted fur on his face?
Like some other animals, Eland bulls will get their face and horns all muddy when rutting. This bull not only had the ruff on his forehead caked with mud, but also his horns and neck. He cleaned up real well though. Nice black face & neck, big dewlap. I cannot wait to get it mounted and hung on the wall.

These used to be one of the only animals that interested me in Africa, until I realized they cost as much as a sheep! Congratulations on a fine trophy!

Whoa. I have very little interest in Africa, and know next to nothing about what makes this or that a trophy. That thing, however, just looks like a big one. It’s got that big mature look to it that any idiot including me can tell it’s the top of what the can be. Now I kinda want one.

A bongo and a LDE would be a dream hunt and I doubt that there would be few, if any hunts that I would rather go on.

CA: Have you hunted Bongo in Cameroon?

Ok so I know one shouldn’t ask but how much do these hunts sell for on average? And what is the desire to hunt them? They look like other animals. Super eyesight? Tough as nails?

What am I missing?

SS: Disclosure- I have only hunted cape eland in South Africa which would not even compare to a lord derby eland. CA is certainly more qualified than me. With that said, I know a booking agent (Arjun Reddy) that I believe was advertising the hunts for around $30,000. The reports I’ve read say it can take days to find a good bull and it is (can be) an intense tracking hunt as eland are always on the move. They are free range animals, as opposed to a cape eland in South Africa.
I cannot remember what the last bongo hunt that I saw was going for. I am about 99% sure they are $40,000 plus. They are hunted with Pygmy trackers and dogs, in the jungle. Far different than any type of hunt I’ve ever experienced.
As much as I loved my one and only sheep hunt, I would be just as happy to hunt bongo or Lord Derby eland. It would be a unique and amazing experience.
CA could certainly offer better information than me….

SS: Disclosure- I have only hunted cape eland in South Africa which would not even compare to a lord derby eland. CA is certainly more qualified than me. With that said, I know a booking agent (Arjun Reddy) that I believe was advertising the hunts for around $30,000. The reports I’ve read say it can take days to find a good bull and it is (can be) an intense tracking hunt as eland are always on the move. They are free range animals, as opposed to a cape eland in South Africa.
I cannot remember what the last bongo hunt that I saw was going for. I am about 99% sure they are $40,000 plus. They are hunted with Pygmy trackers and dogs, in the jungle. Far different than any type of hunt I’ve ever experienced.
As much as I loved my one and only sheep hunt, I would be just as happy to hunt bongo or Lord Derby eland. It would be a unique and amazing experience.
CA could certainly offer better information than me….
Thanks for the reply. Are the numbers just so low that the supply is low and demand high?

Not a hundred percent sure but I believe that might be the case. Plus, there are limited areas that you can find them. Like everything else, I’m sure the prices will continue to go up.
I think that one of the most interesting things about doing a hunt like this would be the experience of doing a hunt unlike anything that you have ever hunted before.
I think everyone ought to try an African hunt at least once. I went three times on the ‘cheaper’ African hunts. They would not even compare to the bigger hunts but still a lot of fun. Seeing trackers work and the ay they hunt with the PH is interesting to say the least.

Ok so I know one shouldn’t ask but how much do these hunts sell for on average? And what is the desire to hunt them? They look like other animals. Super eyesight? Tough as nails?

What am I missing?
SS!, many experienced African hunters consider Lord Derby Eland to be the Holy Grail of African Plains Game. It is generally a pure tracking hunt with many miles logged on foot typically before taking a suitable bull.

They are not uncommon at all, but the only country where they can presently be hunted is Cameroon. They also occur in CAR (Kewin Lefol does hunt there, but very limited and EXPENSIVE) and Sudan, as well as a little bit of Chad; but neither country has a hunting program and are not safe for westerners to travel to. So, if you want to hunt Lord Derby Eland (LDE), you have to go to Cameroon. There are a lot of Eland in northern Cameroon. A lot!

LDE are a huge animal, as big as an Alaskan Moose. They stand at least 6 feet tall at the shoulder. We guessed my bull probably weighed around 1,800 pounds. My bull was taken from a herd of around 30 animals with a couple real nice satellite bulls. Some herds can number 100 animals! Stalking within shooting range is challenging, not only because of how many eyes, ears, noses; but also thick bush that can make finding a clear shot challenging. I had to shoot through/over obstructions that were about halfway to the bull.

I was very fortunate to take my LDE midday on the 2nd day. We only walked around 5 miles or a bit more. The fellow hunting after me spent 12 long days walking many miles daily in temps as hot as 112 degrees. One day, they walked 18.8 miles as measured by Gaia GPS. In that heat, it was a brutal day for them.

Costs can vary quite a bit, from simply expensive to ridiculously expensive (even more than Stone Sheep). With Cameroon being the only country left to hunt them in, combined with concerns about how long that might continue due strictly to political stability, demand for these hunts is high and that has driven prices very high. I’m glad I did this hunt when I did, I locked in my price a few years ago, right before prices really shot up. It was a great experience to do once.

Last edited:
SS!, many experienced African hunters consider Lord Derby Eland to be the Holy Grail of African Plains Game. It is generally a pure tracking hunt with many miles logged on foot typically before taking a suitable bull.

They are not uncommon at all, but the only country where they can presently be hunted is Cameroon. They also occur in CAR (Kewin Lefol does hunt there, but very limited and EXPENSIVE) and Sudan, as well as a little bit of Chad; but neither country has a hunting program and are not safe for westerners to travel to. So, if you want to hunt Lord Derby Eland (LDE), you have to go to Cameroon. There are a lot of Eland in northern Cameroon. A lot!

LDE are a huge animal, as big as an Alaskan Moose. They stand at least 6 feet tall at the shoulder. We guessed my bull probably weighed around 1,800 pounds. My bull was taken from a herd of around 30 animals with a couple real nice satellite bulls. Some herds can number 100 animals! Stalking within shooting range is challenging, not only because of how many eyes, ears, noses; but also thick bush that can make finding a clear shot challenging. I had to shoot through/over obstructions that were about halfway to the bull.

I was very fortunate to take my LDE midday on the 2nd day. We only walked around 5 miles or a bit more. The fellow hunting after me spent 12 long days walking many miles daily in temps as hot as 112 degrees. One day, they walked 18.8 miles as measured by Gaia GPS. In that heat, it was a brutal day for them.

Costs can vary quite a bit, from simply expensive to ridiculously expensive (even more than Stone Sheep). With Cameroon being the only country left to hunt them in, combined with concerns about how long that might continue due strictly to political stability, demand for these hunts is high and that has driven prices very high. I’m glad I did this hunt when I did, I locked in my price a few years ago, right before prices really shot up. It was a great experience to do once.
Thanks! Sounds like a fun hunt!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom