Camo & better scent control

4_Plesur

Every year before going out, I wash all my camo in that scent shield stuff to help remove the odors and then fold them up and store them in a regular container.
I've heard that some guys take dirt and/or pine cones and will put them in the container as well. Good idea? Bad idea? Neccessary?

My other question:
You get to camp and that next morning you wake up and put on your camo and out you go. You come back from hunting to camp. Now do you leave your stuff seperate from everything else, put it in the dirty clothes and wear new stuff the next time out? Just change your underwear and wear your same pants and stuff?

I guess the best question should be, DURING YOUR WHOLE HUNTING TRIP - what is the best way to REDUCE human scent?

I'm really good about not wearing my camo while cooking or going into town or those other things - I also use the scent spray a lot, but I just want to hear what can be done better for next year.

I USED TO WASH ALL MY CAMO'S IN THE SCENT SHIELD STUFF. THREE YEARS AGO I STARTED WASHING THEM WITH REGULAR SOAP AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS (HAVE KILLED THE LAST THREE YEARS IN A ROW).I GUESS WHAT IM SAYING IS I THINK AS LONG AS THE WIND IS IN YOUR FAVOR YOU SHOULD BE GOLDEN!

I used to do all of that, but then I realized that hiking around at timberline just made you really sweaty and all your clothes get stinky no matter what you do. I still carry and use a spray bottle of scent control before a final stalk, but more importantly is a bottle of powder to see where the wind is at.

Down wind is the best bet. If your hunting in the pines I have found taking a bottle of pine sole and and mixing with water makes a good scent.

I totally agree with everyone on making sure you position yourself down wind as much as you can.

HOWEVER, there will come that moment when the wind will make a change or swirl right as you are closing the distance with that nice bull.
In the case when the wind swirls, I think with the preparations you made earlier on controling your scent will give you an advantage of getting that much closer to your opportunity of shooting.

I once hunted with a guy who would hike in a mile or so and then he would rince off in a stream and change into his hunting clothes that he put there earlier with all of his scent control.

Don't you think these things would be a huge benefit. Or, is it over rated?

COME ON DIEHARDS - I KNOW YOU'RE OUT THERE. Yes, those who take off their shoes, change their socks, and move in on the stalk.

I have placed pinion pine needles and sage brush in my pack for years. Both are strong natural scents that couldn't hurt.

Ed

47a89f3977e797c2.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom