Camo debate

theox

Very Active Member
Ok so I'm sure this has been done before but I'm curious to everyone's fav camo first functionality( how well it breaks ur outline up) second comfort and durability.

I'm wanting to drop some money on camo this year and have narrowed my choices down(not really). I'm truthfully not a huge believer In camo because I believe
Wind and movement are the key factors
Most of the time. But I do want a
Comfortable hunting outfit that breaks up the silhouette ( any edge I can get is nice) So out of these choices that I've narrowed down to what do u guys prefer. If I missed an awesome one please write it in. These are in no particular order
1. Sitka/optifade
2.asat/ first lite
3.fusion/firstlite
4. Kuiu/vias
5.spring green predator or other predator
6. Kryptek
7. Other

Camo is way overrated.

I've had a lot over the years.

I like Cabelas outfitters camo. Windshear.

Just bought some first lite ASAT. Uncompagrhe jacket. Haven't had it in the elements yet, but it is way comfy and lightweight. I actually talked to Ryan Callahan from First lite, he stood there with me as I tried things on and made recommendations. I feel good about their stuff.

I still think that we as hunters get fleeced hard on products. I feel there are just as good of things out there, that aren't labeled hunting. But when you get guys willing to spend $400K+ on a deer tag, well, the price of everything else goes up too.

I've used the cheap natural gear for years and it's just not very comfortable and doesn't last so that's why I'm think something more comfortable and breathable would be nice

I totally agree.
Like I said I'm not a big believer but I want something more durable and comfortable while hunting.
I really like firstlite fusion. And asat. But the price of these premium
Camo are hard to swallow for me. Id rather spend it on optics and gear.

Remember!

The YAMAHA CAMO is CHEAP & doesn't last!

The POLARIS CAMO is better but still won't keep you fully Concealed when you're Riding it where you shouldn't be!

[font color="blue"]"I Don't get No Sleep!I Don't get No Peace!"
[/font]

And actually
My deal breaker was my buddy that is soooo anti camo I thought I'd. Ever see him wear it until his brother went all out and bought him a whole Sitka outfit. My buddy didn't wanna be rude so he wore
It and he said its so comfortable that he likes hunting in it. So I thought maybe the premium camo might be nice to hunt in

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-16 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]What about if I don't turn my lights on? Haha ur just a plick :) elk

Camo's alright, but I'm in the camp of its over rated. Dull colors, stealth... Get caught moving and your camo isn't going to keep an animal from noticing you. Often the features you want will only be found in camo.

Well i would add Kings Camo to your list. I have a lot of it and still like it, even though it has been around for a while. Some of the other camo brands out now are pretty pricey.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-16 AT 09:24PM (MST)[p]If you don't own 1k dollars worth of Sitka camo you are not a real hunter.... and your just a hater. J/k some people put way to much thought into their clothes they are there to make a fashion statement more then anything.

it's not about the camo, its about what the materials do. I would much rather wear a pair of kuiu attack pants than a pair of levis. or a merino wool base layer over smelly old synthetic or damp cotton. sooo all my pieces are different camo but the best way to go for camo is to buy what matches the environment you hunt in.

Buy what is the most comfortable and durable. Camo patterns are fun to look at but none of them conceal movement. Stay in the shadows, keep the wind in your face and move when they aren't looking. If you do that you can kill a buck wearing a great looking Hawaiian shirt.

I'm a huge fan of anything merino wool

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-16 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-16 AT 01:13?PM (MST)

www.asatcamo.com

You can go cheap and buy their traditional cotton/poly stuff or buy their new high tech microtex fabric stuff. Either way, you can't go wrong with the camo pattern for breaking up your body outline. Anybody that backs up their camo with the guarantee you will see more game or your money back is ether crazy or crazy confident. I have been busted moving a little faster than I should and had deer and elk look right through me when I froze and go back to feeding because they couldn't make out the threat.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-16 AT 04:00PM (MST)[p]I have been wondering the same thing on camo patterns. I posted a similar question on another forum. I read a blog recently where a guy took Sitka and Kuiu to task a little for the bluish/gray shades in their camo since deer and elk see in blue and violet wavelengths. He said those colors in their patterns would stand out to the deer. I am not sure if there is anything to it or not. He was advocating pretty strongly for First Lite stuff, and I think it is pretty tough to get an objective opinion from any of the "experts" since they rep these companies. Obviously our actions can make or break a stalk regardless of what we're wearing, but all things equal in our movements and strategy, I have to believe different camo patterns will perform differently, even if the differences are small.

You added a different element to this when talking about performance, durability, and comfort. Even if we assume color and camo pattern is entirely irrelevant, it is clear that all materials are not created equal. I only own cheap camo, and it "works" for me. But if I had the money, I'd buy the expensive stuff. I've tried on both Sitka and Kuiu gear from others, and my stuff isn't even in the same zip code. Functionality and comfort on those was pretty awesome.

I can't stand the polyester stuff most are making these days. Cotton blows. Merino is nice, but expensive.

>Buy what is the most comfortable
>and durable. Camo patterns are
>fun to look at but
>none of them conceal movement.
>Stay in the shadows, keep
>the wind in your face
>and move when they aren't
>looking. If you do that
>you can kill a buck
>wearing a great looking Hawaiian
>shirt.
>
>I'm a huge fan of anything
>merino wool
>
>
>
>I'll tell you who it was
>. . . it was
>that D@MN Sasquatch!

Hey Kawboy!

After Last years Hunt We're Gonna make you wear Hawaiian Flowerty Shirts & Clothing!:D

[font color="blue"]"I Don't get No Sleep!I Don't get No Peace!"
[/font]

As far as patterns go, choose one that fits the areas you plan to hunt.

As far as brands are concerned, buy what you like as far as fit and function.

I hate goretex. I absolutely hate it. The simple fact that gore bought sitka means that I have issues with supporting gore by buying sitka.
But, I love the stuff.
Its not about the camo. I own several non camo sitka pieces.

I look at it like this. Sitka, Kuiu, First lite, are like a Bravo super grade wall tent. Exceptional in every build aspect. Superior materials, superior design, well built, perform flawlessly.

Many other camo companies are like Springbar tents. Used by millions, familiar, reliable, a good choice. Nothing wrong with them.

If you want to be one of the guys who spends a ton of cash on clothing, go for it.
If you want to get camo that works day in day out for the vast majority of folks, and save a bunch of money, good for you.

I am of the opinion that camo is over rated. Camo can be replaced in several ways.
Its not a huge issue.

However, I do believe that if you are the type who backpack hunts, a good, lightweight, durable, layering system is worth every penny. Regardless of the camo pattern.

It seems that you are not sure what you are interested in, or why.
I would start by asking yourself, where you will use it, how you will use it, and really think about what you need.
Think about it. Many Utah hunters archery hunt in August, and then continue to hunt all the way into November. The clothing needs of that hunter may be very different from yours.
Some Muzzleloader hunt elk in November, in the high country of the Uinta mountains.
That clothing selection is very specific.
For most, camo is a archery hunters, big game, tool. Its typically hot weather, clothing.
Some just wear it all the time, as some kind of military fashion statement.

For some reason, there is a group of guys out there who give a crap about what you wear.
What I wear should be irrelevant to you.

I hate gore tex. If you love it to death, it doesn't matter to me. I don't have to wear that semi water resistant crap. If you buy Kuiu and love it, there are lots who think you suck. But those people are insane. So are the ones who think that Kuiu is the only clothing worth owning.

I used Kuiu this year both Vias and Verde. I stalked 3 different big bucks in my Verde camo and got to within 60 yards of each buck so I guess that means it works. Also your choice of camo depends entirely on the country you are hunting. Here in the New Mexico high-desert the Verde pattern breaks up my outline and makes me blend in then any of the other brands I have used.

I like Kings also Great desert pattern. But in general I wear almost anything suited for the conditions. And I do think its over ratedfor the most part. Just more companies trying to make money.....BULL!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-16 AT 01:34PM (MST)[p]Keep in mind ....One of the best archery hunters in the world Chuck Adams, wore only a plaid shirt for many years and was very successful all over the world! Keep your nose into the wind and move slow and quietly!

Sageman, that was before product endorsement made a HUGE splash in the hunting industry.
In the old days, you got paid for a magazine article, or a VHS tape of the hunt.
If you shot your trophy with a PSE bow, PSE jumped in and sponsored your video.

These days old Chuck would have his door beaten down with "contract offers".

None of them would have made him more, or less successful, just would have increased his personal wealth.

These days, the industry is over run with sponsors, but the most interesting trend is the idea of the "pro staffer".
Any ordinary guy can now be part of the sponsorship dream ride.
If you can sell yourself well enough to get a brand to believe that you can help them sell product, you can be one of the team.

The question is............ why?

Guys like Chuck made living hunting, and writing about it, speaking at industry events.

Its not the same world out there anymore.

Popular camo patterns have changed several times in my life.
In the 70's it was that quakie leaf pattern, the old blotch military pattern, and plaid flannel.
In the 80's there was a huge shift to mossy oak and real tree. My father and grandfather saw no need for these "upgrades".
Modern times have seen a shift to digital camo patterns. Upgrade?

You decide.
Concealment is art of the game, no matter how you do it.

Lots of opinions out there. Very little hard evidence.

www.newfoundlandbighornsheep.com

Take a look @ Sylo camo gear in Mountain Mimicry Camo. New technology in a classic western pattern. As others have said, you won't find out why technical clothing is worth the $ by trying it in a store. When you feel better and hunt longer because of your clothing, that's when you find out.

>Take a look @ Sylo camo
>gear in Mountain Mimicry Camo.
>New technology in a classic
>western pattern. As others have
>said, you won't find out
>why technical clothing is worth
>the $ by trying it
>in a store. When you
>feel better and hunt longer
>because of your clothing, that's
>when you find out.

Well that's what I'm talking about I want a durable comfortable one and my initial post wasn't to get advice on concealment because I understand that. It was to find out the most comfortable durable and useful camo out there. Kinda went the other direction. I'm sick of wearing thick cotton or heavy non breathable pants in the dry heat where I hunt.
I want some performance clothing that is a useful pattern.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom