Camo in public

kawboy

Very Active Member
About a month ago I read an article in a magazine, (not sure which one) it was about whether wearing camo in public was good or bad. I thought it made some good points. I think we should be an ambasador for all hunters when we wear it. Its not good to act like a rowdy redneck, it hurts our cause. What do you guys think?

Hunting stickers on vehicles are in the same category IMO

What are your thoughts?

That John Denver is full of $#!t man

It's pre-scouting season,let's all put our camo on & look important!!!

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

I'm seeing more and more people, mostly teenage kids, wearing camo that i know have never been hunting, probably never will go hunting.

Are they our Ambassadors too?

I wear the stuff once in awhile, never gave it a second thought. Then again, i pretty much live out in the sticks!!

Joey

i'm not going to go out of my way to try and please someone who dont give a crap anyway. do you honestly think me not wearing camo will make someone be in favor of me hunting a wolf?

I wear what I want to wear .... when I want to wear it. I spend zero time concerning myself with men's fashion. If I want to see the latest fashion, I just open up the Vickie's Secret catalog.

Life is like riding bulls. You're never truly ready ..... it just gets to be your turn.

Please God save me from the political correctness. On occasion I wear a camo hat, and in Sept-Dec I may even run into Minimart in the morning in full camo on my way out hunting. If someone is offended by this I guess I would say quit your whining you pathedic little wimp. If you have time to worry about me wearing camo you probably need to get a job and a life.

I'm OK with a little incidental camo, but I'm not a big fan when it is worn as a fashion statement. I've seen camo suits and tuxes worn for weddings - now that's tacky. That's just my opinion and everyone is entitled to do what they want. Stickers on trucks are no big deal to me unless they take up the whole back window and some do!

I agree with what has been said. The reason I think it makes a difference is I don't want to be in the same category as the typical weekend warrior who gets all decked out in their trendy camo and terrorizes the roads shooting road signs and throwing litter out the window. I guess I agree with uncle ted when he says a majority of the hunters are very ethical, but the public views us as the rowdy crowd. Is there a way to change that?

About 20 years ago I came out of the woods after bowhunting for a few days. I switched into clean clothes and stopped at the Mcdonalds in Delta on the way home for a burger. Everyone was looking at me but would look away when I glanced at them. Afterwards I went to the Mens room, it was then I noticed that I still hade camo face paint on.

the only time weaaring camo makes me wonder is when i go out on the bow hunt and see one guy driving and four guys all camo up faces painted bows at the ready.... makes me laugh... but its not like i really care they can shoot all the dinks outa the back of the truck they want.... thats one of those only in utah things...

Ya I really dont care what others think! I usually only wear camo when Im going up in the hills and often times that means going into town all dressed up for gas and some jerkey. Doesnt bother me one bit. Im proud to be a hunter and im not afraid to show it.

I think you're gonna act like a redneck whether you're wearing camo or not. That is, if you are truly a redneck. The only camo I wear out is usually a hat if I'm dressed casual...and usually it's a nice camo hat. I save my scummy camo hats for fishing trips or doing outdoor chores.

I, on occasion, will put on an Obama shirt and head down to the local VA and start protesting our presence in Afghanistan. The old guys can't really run that fast...:)

Steve

I wear a camo hat every day of the year. is this ok with the fashion trends? am i being tacky? just wondering, because i will stop wearing it if its the politically correct thing to do......yea right!

>the only time weaaring camo makes
>me wonder is when i
>go out on the bow
>hunt and see one guy
>driving and four guys all
>camo up faces painted bows
>at the ready.... makes me
>laugh... but its not like
>i really care they can
>shoot all the dinks outa
>the back of the truck
>they want.... thats one of
>those only in utah things...
>

"only in utah things" eh? That's a pretty asinine thing to say...

I own about 30 camo hats, and wear one almost every day, ( or nascar ) and I don't care what other people think- it's just like putting on my pants in the morning, I don't leave the house without a hat- ( or pants ).

Kawboy, you need a hobby....Something besides "Young Liberal Democrats of America"...you need to get your nose out of other peoples business.

If you are the example of what the general public percieves hunters to be, God help us all!

Why would you think that someones choice to wear camo in public is relevant to the kind of person they are? And why do you care what kind of stickers are on someones truck?

Quite frankly, your snooty, self righteous attitude, tells me more about you than I learned about the old dude in a camo hat and t-shirt, having breakfast at Denny's with his Grandkids.

I kinda like the old guy at Denny's.

I DON'T like you at all.

i couldnt care less what those tree huggers think. me wearing or not wearing camo is not gonna change there mind. maybe wear your camo and being polite might help more than not wearing it.
i think wearing camo and being a respectful persona nd not being a rowdy crazed lunatic helps a heck of lot more than worrying weahter someone is offended becasue i am dressed like a tree.
i dont see why we need to be ashamed of what we are. them idiots run around with obama and save the earth stickers. im not offended, i just know i am a lot more sane than those people. Im sure as heck not going outtqa my way to change my camo before i go into a store just to ease a morons mind.

As much as I'm in and out of the mountains scouting, shed hunting, and hunting...I don't really give a damn or give any thought to what people think about me wearing camo...if they don't like it #### em!! That's my polite attitude :)

~Z~

So what do you have against John Denver? No, I didn't see eye to eye with some of his political viwes, but he was not a guy who tried to force his views onto others. I loved 99% of is music. It voiced how I feel about the mountains and many things in life.

No, he wasn't a saint, but I doubt you would personally like such a microscope held up to your life either.

My only rule about camo is I never pay extra for the "best pattern". The best camo pattern is the one on sale.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Nickman, I can usually agree with a lot of your post, however now the feeling is mutual. I guess I misrepresented my self when I wrote this post. Don't get me wrong I wear camo all the time, the meaning behind the post is more how we act when in camo should help the cause. I do want to be labeled as a wolf killer. I am proud to be a hunter/redneck. But I don't want to be tagged with poor ethics, maybe I do care too much about what other people think, but I would like to bring kids and others to the sport or at least make them understand that what we do is right. The last thing we need are more anti hunters.
The whole thing with stickers in windows. . . I have one too it just pisses me off when I get cut off and the first thing I see is a sneekee sticker. At least if its an obama sticker I know my anger for them is pure. Its hard to hate fellow hunters. But I do drive 40 miles along the wasatch front every day and 80% of vehicles are tagged with hunting stickers. I for one like it. . . . . Unless their driving is beyond the poor ut standards already established.

The best sticker out there is the calvin pissing on the mossback. I heard the mossback crew even gives threats if you don't take it off hahaha tuff guys. as for people wearing camo who cares i really don't like when the emo's wear straight black with chains dark makeup then you got the guys that paint there finger nails black those people are the ones you should take a second look at! What about all the fat women that wear clothes that they have to fight to get in. I don't like to see all that cottage cheese babe buy some clothes that fit. I'm not going to look in my closet at my camo and say to my self "Well i might piss off a tree hugger if i wear this beeter not" hell no! Camo is just another color. Dress code is for school guess what still isn't banned from around wear i live, What about all the cop shows where there in the getto you got 3 black guys on the ground in cuffs wearing camo with 4 guns on the hood they just robbed the 7-11 sprayed a bunch of bullets on there get away 2 stray bullets hit kids and killed them are they the ones giving camo a bad name? no i am not racist.

easy fix. dont wear YOUR camo. YOU wont have to worry if YOU are offending anyone. then mind YOUR OWN buisness.

you asking everyone not to wear camo in public is the same thing your worried about. everyone always wants other people to change.
why dont people ask gays to quite being gay in public? you dont want to offend them, but it offends me?

I agree with hornkiller, I couldn't care less if I piss off a liberal, I just want to sway someone on the fence to lean towards hunting. I don't care what the rest of you wear. I just wanted know what you thought of it

kawboy
They even make pink camo for newborn girls, its just a fad it will pass or not?
Why camo what about orange?
I love to see men/ladies with orange on during the rifle hunts even if they don't hunt they support it.
I think it is more important to remember how "you" act when you visit public places during the hunts, not what your wearing.
One example is when we go out of state and stop at restaurants we allways leave nice tips, the waitresses know if your hunters no matter what your wearing or smell like, all they see is "GREEN" and they like it.

CANNON

Camoflauge sucks, I wish she'd take it off....

:)

cynthacamaflougehsresiz.jpg

Texas58 the John Denver is full of sh t is a line from Dumb and Dumber I dont think he means it literally??

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-10 AT 10:30AM (MST)[p]I have to think the whole issue about the camo is more a matter of how we ACT around people. What level of respect do we have for others?

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool hunter, for decades, so if I make you upset by what I'm about to say maybe I'm talking to you!

It's not your camo or your fashion or your hair cut or your back ground or your place of residence, IT'S HOW YOU ACT AROUND OTHER PEOPLE. Are we being loud, obnoxious pricks who want to go out of our way to make sure everyone know we "don't give a $hit what others think"? Dumb attitude boys! There will always be people who just don't see eye-to-eye with us. Why get all worked up about them? Just forget them and move on.

This "Macho, screw you, piss on you" is the attitude that will divide us and turn the non-hunters into the anti-hunters and hunters against each other.

Grow up and quit acting like the whole world owes you something.
The whole bumper sticker "PISS ON YOU" "BULL BALLS" mentality shows disrespect for others and a level of immaturity. Do you really want to have balls hanging from your truck? What are you driving, a penis? Really?

Some of you will think this make sense, some of you will think "well....screw you, I want to go on acting like a prick"

The beauty is, this is America so we can think and do for ourselves. I simply think that as hunters we will do better by being an ambassador for the sport rather than being a hard azz prick! Remember, people are watching. What do you really want them to see?

Oh yes, I wear camo in public about 100 days a year.

Zeke

PS; Feel free to hammer away. I've seen it all!

PPSS; My spelling need help.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-10 AT 10:55AM (MST)[p]Did you guys know they can't find the oil that was spewing in the ocean. WTH? I'll bet Obama could find it in a row boat.

HK

Wow, this place hasnt seen a good debate for a while.. This one is flat out stupid! I wear camo alot of the time and if someone judges me as a bad person from that then it seems like their own problem! I like to think of myself as a pretty good guy that will help anyone in need. I dont automatically think because someone has a Sneekee sticker they are my friend, Or someone with a obama sticker as my enemy. I think your reading into it too much.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

>Wow, this place hasnt seen a
>good debate for a while..
>This one is flat out
>stupid! I wear camo alot
>of the time and if
>someone judges me as a
>bad person from that then
>it seems like their own
>problem! I like to think
>of myself as a pretty
>good guy that will help
>anyone in need. I dont
>automatically think because someone has
>a Sneekee sticker they are
>my friend, Or someone with
>a obama sticker as my
>enemy. I think your reading
>into it too much.
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

And this place STILL has not seen a good debate lately!!! lol

S.

:)

Way I see it is this.... if I have to see extremely overweight women in skimpy ass clothes and these teenage boys in women's skinny jeans then I have my own personal right as they do to wear whatever the hell I feel like. If someone wants to walk up to me and start running there mouth treehugger mouth then by all means let em... ill just laugh at there ignorance...

I do not wear camo in public, that is just a bad choice. LOL

I do however wear face paint when going around town !!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-10 AT 05:05PM (MST)[p]>Texas58 the John Denver is full
>of sh t is a
>line from Dumb and Dumber
>I dont think he means
>it literally??

Ok, so which am I dumb or dumber???LOL Hard to know how to take it since I have never been able to make it through the whole movie.

Course I guess I could make use the same line to say "Kawboy is full of .... man!" Funny too?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>I do not wear camo in
>public, that is just a
>bad choice. LOL
>
>I do however wear face paint
>when going around town !!!!
>

And the doe/cow pee is for special occasions right rugburn?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

to the guys saying " we have to be embassadors" ( as if i can spell it....)

do you think the guys with earing, full body tatoos, tight womens pants, and queer as 3 doller bills give a rats ass about you being an ambassador to hunting? they are laughing that you gave up so much just to please them.

i'll bet the guy with a full body tatto wont wear a full bady suit so you dont have to see it?

i'll bet the guy with piercing all over his face wont take them out , so you dont see it?

i'll bet the 2 guys holding hands and just talking like a couple queers wont act manly, just so you dont know?

i'll bet the guys wearing these queer cloths now day wont dress normal, just so you dont think their freaks?

at what point is it that hunters try so hard to please other people, that we end up HANDING ARE HUNTING RIGHTS AWAY?

i'm a god D@(* hunter, and i'm God &^%$ proud of it!!

hell no i dont care if me AND MY 4 YR OLD DAUGHTER walk into a convienience store at 4 A.M. with are camo's on, because were going duck hunting, if the checker is an anti hunter and dont think it's right. screw them, they wouldn't do the same thing your asking me to do. AND YOUR A "SO CALLED " HUNTER??

good god, someone need to pull their head out and stand up for what they , HOPEFULLY , believe in.

I can't believe I just read this whole thread.I must really be freakin' bored!!Gotta love Nickman's political correctness as always,and +1 to Zeke as well!

Ive always thought I was the best dressed guy in REI after a good hike on the hill. I just splash on some Doe/cow in heat Cologne and get right to shoping. lol

I sometimes forget I probably look like an ax murder until I see the look in their eyes that says "get a rope." Then I just stand up straight and as tall as a 5'7 guy can stand and be as polite as I can. Yes mam yes sir, Thank you guys so much.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

I always find it interesting as to how each of us can read the same post and there can be so many different opinions and directions which the post can go. I also don't know why people can get so heated and pissy over a simple "what do you think" post.....maybe I have missed some long brewed arguments and disagreements in the past. In "my opinion" I think the original post was more about how to ACT in public wearing camo rather than simply wearing camo in public. I am a proud wearer of camo in public but also realize I do not want to act like an idiot and be labeled like the other "rowdy rednecks" wearing camo as well......and I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks....I think it is more of a SELF pride thing.

>>I do not wear camo in
>>public, that is just a
>>bad choice. LOL
>>
>>I do however wear face paint
>>when going around town !!!!
>>
>
>And the doe/cow pee is for
>special occasions right rugburn?
>
>
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Nope, skunk is the special event scent. The other two mention are an everyday thing...

I don't think I've EVER seen anyone driving a vehicle, wearing camo, where the vehicle had a bumper sticker supporting,
1. Obama
2. PETA
3. Vegans
4. France
5. Wolves
ETC....ad nauseum and so on..........

When I see an Obama sticker,I look to see if it's Copper Boy.
Gonna make him inhale one of these days!}>}>}>

NickW- When I see someone with an Obama sticker I always look at them to see what they look like. I also wonder if they realize how much he's taken this country in the wrong direction, IMO, with our bailouts and so forth. Do they think about what they've done? Are they one of those who have been polled and made Obamas approval rating so low these days. How'd that Cash for Clunkers program work out for America? Just what exactly did the 700 bilion dollars do for America when 80% of homes for sale are either short sales or foreclosures? If I voted for Obama, I'd be wondering what the hell was I thinking? How did I not see this coming. Sorry to talk about something other than camo....but I was post number 12 and already gave my two cents on the subject.

Steve

I've got 28 camo shirts, short sleeves for summer, long sleeves for winter, 10 pair of camo shorts, 10 pair of camo wranglers. camo hats, wild rags,jackets, coats, raingear and boots. A couple of camo guns, a camo quad, and camo snake boots for down here in the Southern AZ. desert. I own a landscape co. and camo is the color of choice for our daily wear. Which works out great for me because I can utilitize my work clothes during my play time. I wear camo everday of the year. Dont really care who likes it or doesnt like it. The main thing is I like it.

I also have stickers on my truck , Stop Poaching, Bass Pro, NRA, and the one I like the most says Cindy Sheean , Rosie Odonnel, Jane Fonda American Traitor Bitches.

It all goes well with the 4 x 3 set of antlers from a Co. mule deer that are mounted to the brush guard on my F-250

Ya no sshit,we need to see a good truck pic,post it up!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-10 AT 00:53AM (MST)[p]I get lots of looks driving around with these on the grill ! Even had a officer of the law roll down his window and ask me where they came from one day last week. He liked them .

If any body has'nt liked em they have kept there comments to themselves.

3077100_1967.jpg

I like that truck,horns I mean.It would look better on a Chevy.
I do wear my camo hat almost everyday but I act normal for the most part.People stair all the time so ho knows.
Would it bother people if I put on my jeep the kill count of Deer on the back window?
Safe hunting

Nice!
I see an older Jeep running around SLC/Wasatch thats got a rack on it too,LMAO!

Nice ride. Deer antlers look better than the old longhorn across the hood.
Muskie, that is a good idea. A lot of people here put stickers of their families, a sticker for every buck killed would look like your a polygamy man

Is that a gun rack behind the grill? Or do you use it as a quick release for a shovel? Just curious.

HK

That is a gun rack , I had an extra one laying around so decided to put it on the grill. Once in a while I'll put a shovel in it. Sure nice tho when your sitting in camp and dont want to lean your weapon against a tree.

I think the stickers are a good idea , the fighter pilots in WWII put little jap flags on there planes when they made a kill on one of the jap planes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom