Camo?

theox

Very Active Member
Ok so my original camo post went the wrong direction I appreciate all the input but please read my post before commenting.

Im gonna simplify

I want a durable breathable and comfortable hunting outfit. I'm sick of the cheap heavy cotton etc outfits I have. I understand wind and movement are key factors. I know Sitka ,first lite, kuiu etc is spendy and overpriced. But I want clothes that are comfy and useful as far as breaking up my outline. I mostly hunt hunt pinyon juniper sage brush country. It's usually hot I. The day cool at night and morning.

So please respond with which you prefer and why.
1.sitka
2.kuiu
3. Predator
4. Fusion First lite
5. Asat First lite
6. Kryptek
7. Other

I'm honestly leaning toward first lite in fusion or asat and I wanted input

I know I can wear a plaid shirt and etc and be fine. I'm not trying to find some magical camo that makes me invisible cause I know it doesn't exist.

I like kuiu, sitka, and first light. My first choice would be kuiu. I mix and match all three at times. All three seem to hold up well. Might be expensive but you get what you pay for. It's nice having good quality clothing when you are miles from the truck. Layering is the key no matter what type of evironment you hunt. Check camofire for decent deals on sitka and first light if that's the route you decide to go.

I Believe the YAMAHA & the POLARIS Come in REALTREE & Hardwoods!

I Don't know of any Wheeler that comes in a PJ Forrest or a SAGE Special!

Take your Wheeler where it doesn't belong & it'll become very Breathable!

[font color="blue"]"I Don't get No Sleep!I Don't get No Peace!"
[/font]

Kryptek is way to far down your list. I have a bunch and it is top notch, lightweight, quality gear. Plus they don't create this false demand like Kuiu and have to order and wait months to get your camo. There is a reason you see the kryptek type pattern on some of the most camouflage critters from birds to reptiles, because it works. Plus the story behind the company and it's connection to veterans and military puts it to the top of my list, hek Chris Kyle was prostaff.

https://muleyfreak.com/2016/01/08/the-best-hunting-camo-what-works-what-doesnt/

I'm a Sitka guy.
Spendy yes, but I love all the many choices for layering in all weather conditions.
I am sold on the camo pattern and it's impeccable ability to blend in with all types of forage. Most camo patterns blend into a dark blob at extended ranges, Sitka looks just as good at 5 yards as it does at a 1000.
As with all camo, watch those UV'S....never wash in detergent containing UV brightener or you'll stand out like a sore thumb regardless of what brand or patterns you choose!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-16 AT 08:54PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-16 AT 08:45?PM (MST)

I don't have any kryptek or fusion but do own all the rest and at any one time I am wearing all of it. I prefer not to be dressed in one solid camo pattern. However, the only camo I have ever worn where birds landed on my shoulders, and elk looked at me at 2 feet and did not spook, was when I had on my asat leafy suite.

I have hung Mothwing, Sitka Open Country, and Max1 in sagebrush and have taken black and white photos at 30 yards and they all look good. Slight edge to the Max1.

kuiu makes my favorite pants and rain gear. Core4 had the best merino base layers before the company was sold, next best firstlite, unless kuiu fixed their sizing problems?? I have sitka puffy jackets that work well and a soft shell predator jacket that is as good as any. Earlier this year I picked up a Columbia fleece jacket that is really nice, I'll throw the asat leafy over that if needed. Lorpen merino socks. It's all good stuff, take your pick.

Oh and elk kiss It man! You are getting senile. I sure hope u draw ur elk tag before they lock u up in the dementia ward!

>Oh and elk kiss It man!
>You are getting senile. I
>sure hope u draw ur
>elk tag before they lock
>u up in the dementia
>ward!

LMAO!

Gotta RAZZ You ox!:D

You know ox?

Back in the Good Days!

It was Bright Red Shirts!

Hunters back then didn't even know what Camo was with the Exception of a little Military issue Camo!

Most Hunters here in TARDville wore their Bright Red Shirts Proudly & usually were wearing them a day or before season even started!

Now We got alot of people wearing Camo year around,who'da thought?

Even though it might be the Law on Rifle Hunts,it's almost a Sin to be seen in a Pic wearing Orange!(I Guess not many People like the PUMPKIN Suits because I see people every year breaking that Rule!)

Can You Imagine if we could go back to the Mid 1960's-very Early 1970's?

With all of todays Camo Technology & with all the Different Types of Deer Hunts & Seasons we have now that same Deer Herd would not Survive one Damn Year with what's going on today!

OK ox!

Will you send us a Pic of your New Uniform when you get it picked out?

I Doubt We'll even be able to see You!:D

[font color="blue"]"I Don't get No Sleep!I Don't get No Peace!"
[/font]

>>Oh and elk kiss It man!
>>You are getting senile. I
>>sure hope u draw ur
>>elk tag before they lock
>>u up in the dementia
>>ward!
>
>LMAO!
>
>Gotta RAZZ You ox!:D
>
>You know ox?
>
>Back in the Good Days!
>
>It was Bright Red Shirts!
>
>Hunters back then didn't even know
>what Camo was with the
>Exception of a little Military
>issue Camo!
>
>Most Hunters here in TARDville wore
>their Bright Red Shirts Proudly
>& usually were wearing them
>a day or before season
>even started!
>
>Now We got alot of people
>wearing Camo year around,who'da thought?
>
>
>Even though it might be the
>Law on Rifle Hunts,it's almost
>a Sin to be seen
>in a Pic wearing Orange!(I
>Guess not many People like
>the PUMPKIN Suits because I
>see people every year breaking
>that Rule!)
>
>Can You Imagine if we could
>go back to the Mid
>1960's-very Early 1970's?
>
>With all of todays Camo Technology
>& with all the Different
>Types of Deer Hunts &
>Seasons we have now that
>same Deer Herd would not
>Survive one Damn Year with
>what's going on today!
>
>OK ox!
>
>Will you send us a Pic
>of your New Uniform when
>you get it picked out?
>
>
>I Doubt We'll even be able
>to see You!:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]"I Don't get No Sleep!I
>Don't get No Peace!"
>[/fo
Elk I wouldn't expect not to be razzed from U.
Well maybe we oughta bring back the red plaid in the high performance clothing. They say deer have the hardest time distinguishing red. We can start our own line of "camo" plaid performance!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-16 AT 02:18PM (MST)[p]Sitka is my favorite for fit, comfort and breathability. I am tall and lean and it fits me right. I really like KUIU, but just did not fit my body as well.

I love all of the new gear and the technology that goes in to it. It is much nicer than the levis and wool of times past.

Have also used Cabelas gear and Core4Element. Not much experience on the others you mentioned. I would love to hear which route you go and why.

Theox....here's the "other"...your should seriously check out the Cabela's Zonz color phase seven button long sleeve with 4 most ADAPT in Woodlands color camo item# IK933752 and matching pants item # IK933753 plus matching hat.....color is great for your terrain. These are light weight, well made and breath well in hot weather......on sale now....usually $50 per garment going for $31.00 on sale...
You can pay the big bucks but these are awesome....been using them since they came out with them 3 years ago....stocked up the whole family......try a set for the price you can go wrong IMO

))))------->

After searching high and low for a quality camo product with a good fit, good materials and an affordable price, I found SKREgear.
The #MTNstealth pattern is amazing. The quality and feel of the apparel is awesome and the pattern blends perfect in all the places I hunt. This is high end hunting camo at an affordable price. (Compare it to Sitka and Kuiu)

If you want to give it a try use - COUPON CODE: huntingwyoming

You should really try this gear out. You won't be disappointed!

46861skre16.jpg

The MTN-STEALTH pattern by SKRE was designed using an algorithm that excels in multiple western environments. SKRE has made closing the distance a reality. If you are a Mountain Athlete wanting to take your hunting to the next level, SKRE will get you there and back. Breathable, ultra light, and mountain durable can all be checked off with confidence. This pattern excels in the sage.

They all look good in the stores but if the pattern is too tight they will look like a simple solid color in the field and do little to "break" the human outline.

Most camo is too dark, but again, it looks cool in the store.

Is that comment too off-track for your thread? I hope not.

Zeke

I tried Kings XKG last year and really loved it. I have sitka and core4, I think Kings XKG is the best value...in desert pattern.

-WB

I have a bunch of Kryptek stuff, just about everything they make. Haven't had any issue with any of it. my first rain jacket has lost some of its "waterproofness", but I've been wearing the heck out of it for 5 years. The pattern is awesome looking too ;-)

Just getting ready to order some Kuiu stuff since they have their 25% off this weekend.

2a0fcsk.gif

I sure hope the following helps you. I met Bill Jordan at my friends private Duck hunting property. On every trip to Ft Benning I stopped in to visit. His manager gave me a "Net Suit". I have honestly tried to find such a suit online but the below is the best I can do. I asked for years to have Dry California Grass camo but, Californian's do not buy camo like hunters further east. We go Dove Hunting wearing Jeans and a White T-shirt....
The net suit became valuable to me. I could wear swim trunks + the net suit in 100+ degree heat or, wear sweat pants in the morning and remove them as heat rises. The below is a Russian company and I did my best. The bottom Cabela's product is close, but not the same. Maybe it's better...?

The below is language from the Russian Company translated. The Pictures did not appear in this forum box.
http://bhf-plus.ru/index.php?productID=179
Inline image 1
Fabric:. + Net shirt
Camouflage suit for all kinds of hunting. On windbreaker with a hood sewn on tape with a fringe of cloth of various colors. Pants with an elastic band. It comes with a handy bag.

http://www.bhf-plus.ru/index.php?showstat=yes&stat_id=43
Inline image 2

Camouflage Hunting, Part 2
Current models have the necessary camouflage contrast shapes and colors for improved camouflage. The main purpose of camouflage is to merge with nature. Who, if not you better know what area you plan to hunt.

Look better to the terrain in which the lives of your hunting object, determine the overriding color of these lands. If you previously did not have to happen on the chosen hunting area, ask the conductor for help, or ask your friends who have hunted here and can be kind of a given area.

If the area is rich in green vegetation, the hunting can be safely sent to camouflage other than green colors, such as fright-1 . Models of Goblin-1 is well suited to the terrain with the dominant colors of brown and shades of gray. Try to combine the bottom and top of your clothes are different models. For example, hunting wild turkey, the top can be used to model Realtree Hardwoods, for the best resemblance with a touch of wood, but the pants can choose the model BREEZE-T pants , saturated colors of the land. Since the waiting period and stalking his prey you have to spend on earth.

It is worth noting that the best indicator of the effectiveness of selected models of camouflage is not how they will look in the mirror, and the results of the hunt you.

It is not necessary to camouflage clothing for hunters was utterly overrun with lots of spots of contrasting shapes and colors, otherwise it will minimize its main task - to disguise. Camouflage Goblin labeled labeled "20-200", which means that the masking effect is maintained at various distances, whether you are 20 or 200 meters from the track down prey. Models camouflage fright-1 have a large area, slightly colored, which contributes to the conservation of the masking properties of a remote distance. Even when walking, when actively moving your hands and face, contrasting light areas of your camouflage will not allow an animal to see you. To view camouflage was solid, you have to be closed and his face and hands, that is, a set of clothes should also include a protective mask or mesh on the face and gloves on his hands. Especially these components come in handy when hunting is carried out at a relatively short distance, such as elk or deer.

One, Online Store: http://profhunter.ru/
There are others listed on main website.

Inline image 3
Cabela's
Cabela's Men's Classic Bug Suit II

Complete suit rolls up and tucks into hood
Lightweight bugproof, biteproof protection
Insect-blocking No-See-Um mesh
You can't beat the complete concealment and biteproof comfort of this packable, lightweight, bugproof Men's Classic Bug Suit II. We started with a foundation of insect-blocking No-See-Um mesh throughout both the pants and jacket. The jacket has a 1/2-zippered front, elastic cuffs and drawcord hem. The hood has a Hi-Vis face shield built in, so you can completely block out biting insects by tucking the shield into the front of the jacket. Pants have a comfortable elastic waistband and cuffs. Imported.
Pants inseam: 32".
Sizes: M-2XL.
Camo patterns/Color: Cabela's Zonz? Woodlands, Cabela's Seclusion 3D?, Loden.

I apologize for being excessively verbose, I'm always trying too hard. The below images goes to the above Russian Company.

My plight in Hunting is Heat and simplicity. I leave Camp with only a Rifle/Bow & Canteen and don't return until long after dark plus, I Hunt alone....Because I'm wearing Swim Trunks :)

It's simply layering. The Camo Net-Suit had a head/face hood and gloves. I made a Gilly suit and had a Bear walk up from a ditch and sit in front of me scratching...until I said: hey Boo-Boo... (Yogi Bear). Ghillie suits really should be a norm for us here in America. I've had Hunters walk right by me. Hope this helps.

36805kikimora13300x540.jpg

57121leshii3300x540.jpg

40484kamysc2401x301.jpg

be cautious when considering advice. Many of these guys pro staff. The ones who don't have a fantasy bromance with the other Instagram legends. You will like any of the brands listed.

I have Sitka and First-Lite. I prefer the ASAT camo but the Sitka fits better. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have two sets of First Lite and four set of Sitka and I started buying them about the same time. I am a big fan of the Sitka Ascent pants and Merino Core Zip. I am planning on getting the Sitka Kelvin down ultralight jacket this year.

I think the top of the line gear is a good investment. JMO

I dare you to try to find camo made in the USA. Anything that you can find that is made in the USA will be the best camo you can find. By the way good luck on that.

I go with "other" don't believe in and nor will I ever, in buying a $300 camo jacket!
I don't even really care if its camo or not, I just wear it cause that is the color I get when looking for the qualities in clothing I need.

I buy what's on sale/clearance and it lasts me for many years. I still have camo I bought from the 90's I wear today. If you see me in expensive camo its because I found it somewhere for 90% off...

Camo doesn't make you a better hunter, it simply makes you feel better about yourself. Might as well just go eat a doughnut on the way up the mountain, get the same effect.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

LAST EDITED ON May-31-16 AT 07:54AM (MST)[p]The Kuiu Attack pants are the most comfortable pants I've ever worn. Not just hunting pant, any pant. I've yet to hunt in them, but I've done a few hikes so far this spring and I'm very, very impressed. Honestly, if money weren't a factor I'd buy multiple pairs in their solid colors and wear them around town as normal pants. I have also been very impressed with Kuiu's merino shirts. Again, haven't hunted but I've worn my merino 145 zip T hiking, and it is money. I love that shirt. It was the solid color, and candidly, the camo version feels different, and I think the solid will be more comfortable. Camo patterns might be for the hunter more than the hunted, but the quality of the garment can't be debated. When I compare this new stuff I purchased to the old mostly cotton clothing I've worn my whole life, it's not even close. Night and day difference.

I can't speak for any other brands. I did physically check out SKRE at the expo. It looked good. I was very impressed with the Hardscrabble pants. I did not try them on for fit, however. I do think they should do a merino top offering. I hate the poly/sport/performance material. It's why I was never sold on most Sitka tops. Some love it. I don't. I've tried on just about everything Sitka has to offer, but that's the extent of it. My brother and some friends swear by the Mountain pant. I liked the Ascent more. But they're for different circumstances, so not apples to apples.

That's my 6 cents worth.

LAST EDITED ON May-31-16 AT 11:24AM (MST)[p]I shoot an elk every year in my wranglers after a buncha guys in high dollar camouflage bump em and run em past me. The elk never know I'm there.

I am an Old No-Body insofar as modern Camo but, I must agree with DW and a few others. Especially the area of Red Plad shirt's and Hunters of day's gone by.

Consider reading this slowly.

I must have spent two hours searching for a Net-Suit and only able to gather what I posted above; Ref...Russian Gear.

I see many younger men around age 30 who are highly concerned about what "Their Friends" think, say, etc...around a campfire about Camo.

I am sure new technology is better. I am not qualified. However, as I watch younger Hunters spend $, I feel a sadness inside because darn near anything I, an OG (Old Guy) say's, will not sway them. So, I mind my own business and keep quiet. But here under this topic, "I Have Learned Much". No, I will not buy any such camo but it allows me to understand things better. 20-30 years ago I looked for anything that would not shine under sunlight. The closest I found was Burlap I had left in the garden and it soaked in dirt/soils and well, I used it to make a light weight Ghillie suit that looked more like a Mexican Serape. I used a Fishing Net to make it. Then made a longer one. I just Hot Glued burlap strips onto the cotton fish net fabric. It rolled up to be a nice Pillow for a mid day nap, afield.

Possibly an arguement FOR; Red Plad shirts:

The Purkinje effect (sometimes called the Purkinje shift, or dark adaptation and named after the Czech anatomist Jan Evangelista Purkyně) is the tendency for the peak luminance sensitivity of the human eye to shift toward the blue end of the color spectrum at low illumination levels.
This effect introduces a difference in color contrast under different levels of illumination. For instance, in bright sunlight, geranium flowers appear bright red against the dull green of their leaves, or adjacent blue flowers, but in the same scene viewed at dusk, the contrast is reversed, with the red petals appearing a dark red or black, and the leaves and blue petals appearing relatively bright.
The sensitivity to light in scotopic vision varies with wavelength, though the perception is essentially black-and-white. The Purkinje shift is the relation between the absorption maximum of rhodopsin, reaching a maximum at about 500 nm, and that of the opsins in the long-wavelength and medium-wavelength cones that dominate in photopic vision, about 555 nm

The effect occurs because the color-sensitive cones in the retina are most sensitive to green light, whereas the rods, which are more light-sensitive (and thus more important in low light) but which do not distinguish colors, respond best to green-blue light. This is why humans become virtually color-blind under low levels of illumination, for instance moonlight.
The Purkinje effect occurs at the transition between primary use of the photopic (cone-based) and scotopic (rod-based) systems, that is, in the mesopic state: as intensity dims, the rods take over, and before color disappears completely, it shifts towards the rods' top sensitivity

Red lights are also often used in research settings. Many research animals (such as rats and mice) have limited photopic vision, as they have far fewer cone photoreceptors. By using red lights, the animal subjects are kept "in the dark" (the active period for nocturnal animals), but the human researchers, who have one kind of cone (the "L cone") that is sensitive to long wavelengths, are able to read instruments or perform procedures that would be impractical even with fully dark adapted (but low acuity) scotopic vision. For the same reason, zoo displays of nocturnal animals often are illuminated with red light.

34237300pxmarinesniperghilliesuit.jpg

And a MM's Hunting Rig. Washed Pink is near impossible to fixate eye's on at Night and low light.

19009saspinkpanther.jpg

With Breast Cancer Awareness, Athletic men wearing a shade of Pink IS acceptable. Our Military will be going to yet another camo. It's more for economic factors and still, men argue over what is the best camo....It all fails once the wearer: MOVES.
I'm wearing swim trunks and Red Plad on a hillside near you. elkassassin, will you be my Cameraman...?

Ok well I finally made a purchase.
I decided to go With SKRE gear. It looked like nice camo and the price was decent. Still more than I normally would spend but I really wanted a nice lightweight pants that was durable. I'm hoping these last quite a while.
I will give a review after I use them a bit.
They fit small so if u order some get a size bigger than normal.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom