Camp Fires While Archery Hunting

nmhntr

I was always taught not to have any camp fires while archery hunting for elk. I'm starting to think that camp fires don't matter. Any thoughts if elk and deer are sensitive to fire smell?

I was always told the same thing but if you think about it, if the elk are down wind of you no matter what you do they are going to smell you. In fact they may dismiss you as a threat if there has been some wild fires in the area and they are used to the smell of smoke. I would think its a lot better than smelling like a week old Dorito fart.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

Look at all the lightening struck trees as you hike around. I've seen some control burns and slag piles smolder clear into the middle of the elk hunt, when there was 6 inches of snow on the ground. They sure didn't seem to bother the elk in the area. There were elk and deer tracks all around. As was stated, I would much rather smell of smoke than sour BO.

I love to have a fire. Just for the sake of having one. And I also think that the smell of the smoke helps to cut down the human odor.

Maybe it's the carbon in the smoke, like the carbon in your clothes?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-13 AT 07:43AM (MST)[p]Concerning fire giving of carbon,I've never heard it stated like that, but that is a great point!

While I don't like smelling like smoke a common sense look at the number of wildfires we have each year would tell you the smell of smoke is about as natural a scent as any other..... Terry

>While I don't like smelling like
>smoke a common sense look
>at the number of wildfires
>we have each year would
>tell you the smell of
>smoke is about as natural
>a scent as any other.....
>Terry

Natural smell until your hunting partner tosses his red solo cup, foam plate, plastic fork, napkin, & left over pork & beans into the fire...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-13 AT 09:45AM (MST)[p]It's at times like this you when have to step aside and ask yourself the question: WWFBD?

What would Fred Bear do?

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

"Natural smell until your hunting partner tosses his red solo cup, foam plate, plastic fork, napkin, & left over pork & beans into the fire..."

You need to pick better hunting partners.... :)....... Terry

Lots of good thoughts on the campfire smoke. I agree that the elk would consider the campfire smoke a natural scent. Like what was mentioned above... I think it is what goes on around the fire pit that can create issues. Things like throwing non wood in the fire to watch it burn or get rid of garbage. Then go hunting the next day in the same cloths all smelly...

If we are at a base camp we have a nice fire but our hunting cloths, backpacks, bows and everything we hunt in is all bagged up to keep all food, cooking odors,smoke away from contaminating our gear. We always Wash up de-scent as much as possible using field bath cloths descenting wipes prior to putting on back on our hunt'n stuff in the AM.....A little hit of the Scent-Killer spray and we are off hunt'n :)

From a satillite backpack camp in the backcountry we do not make campfires. No smoke, no noise only whisper talking because the sound travels so far in the mountains...My belief on the smoke in the backcountry is that it is not so much the smoke smell. Again it is what goes on around a camp fire. "UN-NAUTRAL NOISES" like throwing a piece of wood in the fire , cutting wood sounds, breaking branches for kindling etc etc etc. I was taught "we just don't take any chances on alerting the game that "something different" is going on in the area". It has worked well for us.

))))------->

I am usually on trips in the area of 7-10 days. I don't do fires anymore.

Smoke is one less smell that I need floating around stuck to my hair and clothes and everything else.

I don't know about Elk or any other animal thinking of the smoke as a cover scent and what not but I jus topt out and don't have them anymore.

I have built a small fire a couple of times, midday, on a cold wet day to dry out and warm up a bit, but never at night. Its up, a cold breakfast, hunt, come back well after dark, a quick bite and I'm ready to crash by that point.

I know an old bear guy that use to swear by standing in smoke from pine boughs before sitting in his stand. Thinking about it he was kinda crazy, and use to chase sows with cubs off bait piles while yelling and waving his arms.

Start hiking at 4 to 430 am and back at 8 pm eat and repeat. When do you guys have time for a campfire.

>Start hiking at 4 to 430
>am and back at 8
>pm eat and repeat.
>When do you guys have
>time for a campfire.

+1, only time we have a fire is after we tag out and its time to relax.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

>>Start hiking at 4 to 430
>>am and back at 8
>>pm eat and repeat.
>>When do you guys have
>>time for a campfire.
>
>+1, only time we have a
>fire is after we tag
>out and its time to
>relax.
>
>Mntman

I guess I'm not as hardcore as some guys. I love finding a quiet place to lay down for a few minutes after the morning hunt by a fire for a nap. I hunt much better if I'm well-rested and busting blindly through prime-habitat while the animals are bedded for the day is rarely a good plan.

I'll rest up, have some lunch and be recharged for the afternoon/evening hunt. I doubt it has ever cost me an animal.

Grizzly

PS. Tristate, please be an adult and respect my wishes that you do not respond to any of my posts. I, in turn, will do you the courtesy of not responding to any of yours. I simply do not wish to converse with you.

I don't think a campfire or the smell of smoke will likely cost you an animal. Odds are if they can smell the smoke on you, they'll smell the rest of you too! I rest during the day and glass, take a short nap, etc... just rarely have a fire. Often in the fall, we have fire restrictions until the snow arrives.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom