Camp help

jtrips

Hi all- I am going to Unit 40 Idaho late season. I was just looking for some general insight on camping- I was going to tow over a camper but wasn't sure how passable the roads are.
Also a big unit so towing a camper seems like I give up the opportunity to travel a lot of the unit unless you go 30-40 miles on an ATV a day any help would be appreciated.

The main roads are great in my experience. I haven’t seen it dump too much rain or snow though, but they are in good shape for that IMO. I’d probably start to leave if over 5-6 inches of snow fell. A few people live off these roads.

Thank you, I imagine some of that higher country gets ugly but didn't think the lower stuff would be too much of a concern. Just looking at OnX doesn't appear to be a great road system and they all say "Overland and 4wd" Getting a weekend scouting trip in though should help

You shouldn't have any problems at all. I personally either hunted the west side the of the unit or the east side. Study your maps & onXhunt and you should be fine. Unit 40 if my favorite unit. Seen some dandy's for sure

Hi all- I am going to Unit 40 Idaho late season. I was just looking for some general insight on camping- I was going to tow over a camper but wasn't sure how passable the roads are.
Also a big unit so towing a camper seems like I give up the opportunity to travel a lot of the unit unless you go 30-40 miles on an ATV a day any help would be appreciated.
Quite a few of the 40 tag holders were camping off the main road that divides 40 and 42 last year really nice road definitely couple spots if to much snow I’d just get on the other side of and you would be perfectly fine we got a few good snow dumpings while I was there and with 3-4 inches on road still we made it out no problem with a trailer with a SXS on it and lots of gear, there are lots of places to park and set up shop all over especially if you have a SXS park in safety and drive a lil extra in the machine to your hike in spot or however you will be doin it.

Thanks for the insight-@freebird63 and @bigbuckin501
Definitely looking forward to it. Yeah I was towing over a SXS as well. Definitely looking forward to it. Making a scouting trip here soon, just a massive unit and I wanted to see a big portion of it, though the more I look at OnX i might have to concentrate in an area a little more.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom