Campfire?

Shedz

Good morning MM's!! I have a question on what everyone's thoughts are on building campfires at camp for bow season? Smoke is a natural odor, but for years I have forbidden the family from building one, even though sometimes this is our only camping trip of the year and it doesn't feel like camping without a campfire.. like to know some thoughts. Thanks everyone and good luck in your hunts!! ?

Have the campfire and enjoy the camping/hunting trip with family. If you don't have the wind right it's not going to matter if you're wearing cologne or cow in estrous the gig will be up.

Thanks for chiming in guys! The last time I drew a a tag couple years ago I did break down and we just had a great time! The wind is king, i agree. Thanks again! Elk hunt here in NM starts tomorrow so ?.

Campfires are nice to have but I hate smelling like camp smoke anymore, it just drives me crazy anymore. So unless we are camping with the family roasting hotdogs and making smore's I don't ever have a campfire.

Agreed - put one down before you make a camp fire - you are not camping ,you are hunting so no fire until then is my routine.
Early to bed early to rise

I make campfires all over the mountain when I hunt elk/deer. Heck, I killed an elk right after I put out the campfire. Had one burning all day as it snowed on me. Put it out, walked down an old logging road about a 1/4 mile, out walked a five-point bull at 60 yards, down he went! I never worry about smelling like smoke. Like others have said, play the wind and smell is not an issue. a good campfire revitalizes me and helps me push through the cold days in the woods. Don't know what I would do if I didn't have a campfire to keep me company. 15 years of elk hunting and just as many bulls down on the ground. Can't recall any one of the last 15 years where I didn't have a campfire while out hunting those elk.

Don't worry about the smoke smell. You already smell like death to them.

I don't worry at all that a fire will spook game. That said, don't have time to make one in the morning or evening. Leave well before daylight and get back after dark. But a midday campfire can be nice.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I enjoy a good campfire when hunting as well, it's just part of the whole camping experience.
If I am in camouflage for my hunt, I just remove it and change into street clothes. I don't do it to avoid a smoke smell that'll blow my concealment attempt, I do it because I don't like smelling like beef jerky while I am out in the field.
I don't care what anyone says or uses, if you are upwind from game, they will detect you regardless of what gadgetry you employ.

And to add to that, there is "natural airborne smoke" and there is a sweaty human with bacon and campfire mixture......definitely not natural ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom