Camping Area near Stallion Range Gate

wymoosehunter

My wife and I are two of the lucky people that drew the Stallion Range Oryx tag for March 21-22. With the weather being nice that time of year, we are looking to camp somewhere near the Stallion Range gate.
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to camp? We are not really looking for a developed campground per se, we are just as happy to plop down on some BLM/State land near the gate (15 minutes or so away).
Any prohibitions on camping on BLM/State ground there?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
WyMo

THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF PEOPLE CAMPED OUTSIDE OF THE RANGE GATE INCLUDING MEAT PROCESSORS AND TAXIDERMISTS. JUST GET THERE EARLY AND FIND A SPOT OFF THE ROAD! CONGRATS ON DRAWING A TAG, AND HOPEFULLY YOU GET A COUPLE OF BIG ONES! IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE GETTING IN TO THEM GIVE ME A CALL AND I WOULD BE GLAD TO POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! I'LL PM YOU MY NUMBER.

First off the weather sucks the wind will be blowing 20 to 50 mph! But camping is right next to the gate or you could stay in Socorro which is 20 or so minutes away.. Congrats on the tags!

Wind will be the main issue, if you are in a tent pack like you are camping in WY for the weekend, you should feel at home, this last week been blowing 25-40mph in the afternoon! If you have a RV, not as much to worry about. If they are calling for rain, be evry careful where you camp! Good luck and have a great hunt!

www.200inches.com

Man that is the last thing I would do, the wind even in a rv would not be a good nights sleep.

Hotels in Socorro are not much, then sleep in a comfey bed.

All,
Thanks for the info. I am from Casper, WY and know about wind (I think it is the windiest place on earth, at least where they build houses, too bad the foundation has to be 8 feet deep to hold the house in place), so if I am going on vacation, I plan to at least sleep out of the wind. It looks like a motel for this kid. We hit over 100 mph this winter, so 20-40 will be a light breeze, except in a tent with the fabric flapping all night.
Thanks to all the NM MM'ers who have posted, you guys seem to have a real esprit de corps that all hunters should have.
Chris and Richard, a special thanks to you. Way beyond what would normally be expected.
If you ever head north to the real windy area, hit me up and I will try to help/point you in the right direction.
WyMo

Wyomoosehunter, my 11 yr old and 14 yr old drew the same hunt so we will be getting after it hard those 2 days.

Most likely be staying in Socorro also even though we live only about 2.5 hours away.

I will be up in WY for wifes unit 58 elk hunt this fall.

wymoose, you must be driving down to NM. I drew a tag for the same weekend and will be driving from GJ, CO. I was going to camp also but after reading the reply's will probably plan on motel.

You're right about the wind, I lived in casper for 6 years and have never found anyplace windier. Unless you count Rawlins.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom