Camping trip to Red River area

wallhanger

Hey fellas. I'm taking the family to the red river area on a camping trip in mid august, and was wondering if anyone familiar with the area could point me in the right direction to show them some deer and elk. Also, hiking trails, and other ideas on fun family things to do up there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

WH

On the east end of town, the road forks and there's horse riding stables. A friend of mine named Dirk Neal owns the stables. Stop by and talk to Dirk and he will give you some ideas on fun family things to do. If you like horse back riding, he has family friendly horses and good trails. Dirk has been a local guide his whole life and comes from a family that's lived there since the 1800's so you won't find anyone that knows the area better. Tell Dirk that Bob Kim (from Rio Rancho) says hello. Don't forget your fishing poles. August is a great time to visit - have fun!
-- Bob

Bob- that's great to know. Thanks for responding. My kids love to ride, so that will be perfect. Any other tips from you guys are welcome.

WH

WH

drive up to Goose Lake if u have good 4x4, you will see bighorns, elk and deer, might get a luck to see a bear or 2, fishing are awesome or hike to Middle Fork Lake ( 2 mile uphill) old logging road, easy to follow and fishin is very good too!

in town, there are few trails just back of the river, or go on a ski lift and hike down. ther are bunch of deer on ski slopes! and where are your family plan to camp at?

was over there 4th of July for 5 days. ( our annual camping trip)

Vinihunt :)

Thanks, Vini. All sounds like fun. I'd love to see some bighorns.

We're not familiar with the camping, but we're considering:

Junebug Campground
Fawn Lakes
Elephant Rock
Columbine
Goat hill

Any recommendations?

fawn lakes is better place I think! the campground have a nice restroom and water also! nice area but We camp at RV place in town! (spoiling wife LOL)

good luck and enjoy the trip with family!

vinihunt

Goose lake is a very cool spot, but the road up absolutely sucks. If you have a big truck think twice about going up there. The road is very narrow and a pain in the butt when you meet someone. At least that is how I remeber it.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. We had a great time and really enjoyed the area. It's rugged, beautiful country up there.

WH

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom