cancelled scout trip

muleyhunter413

I am pissed off. I have been planning this trip down to scout for my san juan archery elk tag since I found out that I drew the tag. Was supposed to leave tomorrow, but the weatherman says there are supposed to be thunderstorms every day I was planning on being there. I guess the rain is good for the animals but I am dying to get down and see some country and of course big bulls. I hate when my plans don't work out, I wanna throw a fit like a little kid!

buy a rain jacket. You'll regret it when you don't know the country come about a month and a half. Let me let you on a little secret the weathermen are wrong slightly about 75% of the time.

Most of the time thunderstorms are intermittent. What are you going to do if there are storms when the season comes?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-10 AT 11:50PM (MST)[p]lol....momma...it's waining...

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

what are you going to melt?
do you have a metal plate in your head that attracts lighting? dude you need to go....or
the fourth of july do you hide under your bed shaking because of the noise or jump the fence and run wild though out the hood!
any of the above apply then I under stand!
of course am kidding but come on thats no reason..
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Afternoon thunderstorms will be common unitl October. Recomend you go anyway. Altitude attracts moisture.

I live in Monticello and I hope you're right that we get rain everyday. However, the chances of that are pretty remote that your scouting trip would be a wash (pun intended). In fact, if you get rained on at all it will be at most a minor inconvenience. So hit the road or you'll regret it later. Good luck.

Wow, I feel like a wimp now. You guys sure no how to put things into perspective. I just might go down now anyway. However, just so you know either way i am not going to go into this hunt without scouting.
Do you think you guys were a little more harsh on me just cuz I happened to draw a great tag at the expo and you didn't? Of course now I am kidding... or am I?

Suck it up buttercup!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take off your pink panties Sally! Rain, I dont think the weatherman even looks outside when it is raining or sunny. Cuz the ratards are usually wrong. I would not listen to the weather man.... Take the forcast as a possibility and not a guarantee and plan accordingly.

Good luck Sally!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should be hoping for on and off thunder storms while you are down there! It will be a better scouting trip because of it. In between the storms (if they even happen as predicted by the weatherman) you will see more animals come out and feed and show themselves then if there were no storms at all. Those in between rain/thunder storm breaks are some of the best times to find animals in my opinion. Good luck on the trip and don't forget the tampax! LOL sorry, I couldn't resist.

-KILLSHOT Productions Guides & Outfitters-

I don't think that one box of playtex is going to be big enough for one weekend of thundershowers. You better take a case of maxipads as well just in case it does rain.

I think you're going to catch grief over this one for a long time. Personally I think there's nothing better than a little rain if you're going to be out in the hills. I'll take that everytime over the dust.

Wow a little rain will stop you from scouting the SJ for a elk tag that's in your pocket.
Rain Jacket is about the only thing I can say that will help you.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

>Better take a box of these...9
>for the normal days and
>9 for those super rainy
>days ;-)
>
>
1082078300098362.jpg

>
>~Z~

+1 lol. I always see elk out in the rain especially this time of year its not as hot and for some reason they simply like it if the wind isn't blowing to hard.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

You might want to turn that tag back in. Mosquitoes are above average this year J/K...

Good luck on your tag and remember to buy a rain jacket..

It is hot down there this time of year. A few rain storms will be a blessing to an otherwise hot and dusty trip. Especially out on elk ridge. I think you would be nuts not to go...the rain would be a positive thing. You might actually see some animals out and about while the sun is still up.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-10 AT 01:40PM (MST)[p]Personally and I'm not going to say anything about what everyone else is saying but.... I think its a huge waste of your time and money to go 'scout' this time of year. Unless its just to burn gas and drive roads and get to know the area. But if you are looking for the bull your going to kill.... good luck!! Its hot, dry, and you will be really limited with what you will be able to see esp. on elk ridge. Even a ride over the mtn. will limit you little unless you are the first one. Save your time and money to head down just before the season starts.

Todd Black
BTO

I would pray for thunderstorms every afternoon, it seems that every animal in the country is out after a good thunderstorm.

There is also a new product they sale called gore-tex

>Thunder showers are good for scouting,
>but what happens if his
>truck gets muddy? I'd wait!
>
>
>Eel
Don't wait too long, it will get dusty.

I'll tell ya what's predicatable... the verbal "HAIL" raining down on a stupid comment! LOL

What happens if it snows?

If this is your year... GET THE HELL down there! Your not wasting gas when you've been dreaming of this adventure for 14 years. Or since you scored at the Expo... which ever it is.

You got to admit... you deserved all the crap you got on this post. Never, a dull moment on MM's.

Midnight

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-10 AT 11:48AM (MST)[p]Alright gentlemen, (and I use that term very loosely), I have just returned from my trip down to the san juan. I am glad I went. I got to know some areas and see some bulls too! I even found one I would love to get an arrown into. I took a pack of tampons down with me but forgot to take pictures with them for ya. sorry. Lots of elk. Seen lots of cows and calves and about 15-20 branch antlered bulls. One was a for sure shooter. Anyway, thanks for the beating. I am glad I went and I can't wait to get down there again. And Yes I admit that I deserved what I got. Thanks again fellas.
I forgot to mention that i bought the hunt videos about 6-8 weeks ago and I have seen em both many times.. Good job on the videos BTO boys.

congrats on your trip. sometimes you just need more motivation to get the scouting done.

good luck on the hunt

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

Muleyhunter ,How far do you have to drive to get to the area you are hunting?

I think it was about 240 miles one way. I put 601 miles on my truck for this trip. I don't even wanna know what it cost me. I just know it was worth it since I will probably never have this tag again. I will be spending about 10 or so more days down there prior to my hunt starting. On a side note, I have been doing a little scouting here locally and I found a nice bull. I have a friend who has that archery tag and he is pretty excited about it. If I ever teach myself how to post some pics and video I might have to start the hunt adventure game thingy.

Way to be a good sport and yes you did deserve the ribbing from the high and mighty mm crew. But I would guess most of these guys have never even been on san juan and don't have a clue of how quick things can get NASTY and I mean NNAASSSTTTYYY down there. I have been out on elk ridge many times and in a matter of 30 minutes have seen blue skies turn bad and put over an inch of water down in 20 minutes. The rain isn't so much the bad thing. In fact, as has been stated, the rain really makes the critters come out of the woodwork. Just don't plan on doing any traveling after the deluge! I have NEVER been as scared as I have on multiple occasions trying to get out of elk ridge after a good drenching. The roads are BRUTAL-total snot. We won't even talk about if you happen to be towing a trailer-unless your ready for a white knuckle experience. Consider that fair warning for you upcoming hunt. If you get poured on and are planning on traveling, trust me, you'd be better off waiting a day. It dries out quick when the sun does come out, but coming off that mountain in and after big rain, will test your pucker factor. Best of luck on your hunt.

Here are a few san juan bulls. I set this camera when I was down there a month ago helping a friend on his bear hunt. My hunting buddies went down last weekend to set more cameras and do some deer scouting. Talk about a phenomenal elk unit-you are one lucky
guy!

PICT0660.jpg

PICT0551.jpg

One of my buddies also has a san juan (archery) permit. Tons of bulls, tons of country. Good luck!

DSC_0376.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom