canjillon closure?

nmelkman

how has the closure effected elk hunting in the rest of the unit or is the access still pretty good. i was just up there and was surprised to find it closed so close to town.

I was under the impression it was just the road to the lake closed. Is the forest road coming out of Canjilon closed before the lake road?

Must be a recent closure. I was up there a couple weekends ago and made it all the way to El Rito. The road was only blocked at the turn-off to the lakes about a half mile up.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

That is what I was expecting it to be. I better get up there in the next couple weekends before my bow hunt. That will change a lot for me if I can't get in through there.

Im just gonna park where the road stops and hike in. Too many elk up there for me to go somewhere else and too close to the season.

I talked to a lady at the ranger district and she said the road from canjilon to el rito is open all the way through.

maybe it was just for that day while they were working. Still curious if it causes more pressure in other parts due to the campgrounds and trailheads being closed. sorry for the worry guys I just thought that was weird. Can't wait for September up in those mountains!!!

>Im just gonna park where the
>road stops and hike in.
>Too many elk up there
>for me to go somewhere
>else and too close to
>the season.

+1 that actually sounds very appealing. the fact it's no vehicle access makes it almost like a wilderness area. beats the hell out of hunting the areas everyone including wood cutters will be driving through.

Except that in the "closure" you aren't even allowed to hike. How that is enforced, I don't know but I'm sure the elk are loving the closure so hunting around its perimeter should be very good.

i agree it will be a great area to look at and i plan on doing just that. i was just wondering how people plan on accessing the perimeter if walking isn't allowed? And where exactly is the perimeter? is it marked? As far as i could tell it was only marked at the road.

I saw on two different occasions people come down a two track from up around the lakes. Once during a late rifle hunt last winter and again this summer. People will inevitably want to go in there now that it is closed. FS needs to patrol it during the hunts.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

I'm sure people go in there all the time! Why don't they just let the woodcutters go in and take care of the issue with falling tree's? I don't see things changing much if any because of the closure as it is a small area of the unit. I bet some of you can verify that based off last years hunts. I hope to meet some of you guys up there in five weeks!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom