Canon EF100-400mm

conch

Any thoughts on the Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS? I want to put it on my Canon Digital Rebel XYI.It's main purpose would be for taking photos at basketball, baseball, football games and an occasional Deer/Elk job. I'll be spending about $1,100.00. Am I missing something here?

it's a good lens, but it's not going to give you enough indoors, forget the indoor basketball, and night light football, it's too slow for that. You wont have enough shutter speed to capture action or eliminate camera shake.

It will work well for outdoor, wildlife in good light, and baseball. With the propper support and techniqe, it's a great tool. . .

TFinalshot,
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I better keep shopping.
What lens would you recomend for the application?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-07 AT 11:23AM (MST)[p]Hey Conch,

For indoor sports I would go with a fixed 85mm 1.8 ($380 ish) and a 50mm 1.8 ($90.00), canon lenses of course. They are both very sharp and will give you the speed you need.

The best zoom lens you could go with is the 70-200 f2.8, but it's a little too slow for my taste. I've tried about ever lens canon has made for indoor sports and your best bet is to go with fast prime lenses and set up remote (bounced) flash.

The 70-300mm (Image Stabilizer) lens is a good wildlife lens for the money ($400 ish).

No need to spend a lot of money on lenses if your not try to make it a business.

Technique is more important!!!!

That's my $.02.

Later,
Vince (Colorado)

the best lens that canon makes, and the one I would choose for indoor sports, is the 200 f/1.8, and the 85 f 1.2 for the closer stuff. Expect sticker shock!

Vince also is correct, you really need to use remote flashes for indoor. watch your white balance indoors too, it's really tricky with so many different light sources.

It is possible to get some indoor shots with that 100-400, but I'm affraid you wont like the results.

Vince, if you have that 50mm F/1.8 usm for $90 bucks, that you spoke of in your post, I'll buy it!

Thanks for the help men. Maybe I'll just stay with the old video camera. I get good results and don't need to know a heck of alot. LOL!
My brother and I both do alot of video work. He got lucky a couple of weeks ago and took some great footage of a muley with numerous points and great mass. One of the better bucks I've seen in a long time. I'm off to work. Have a great day!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom