Canon PowerShot S2 IS

joebobhunter4

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-06 AT 04:49PM (MST)[p]i was thinking of getting this camera but have some questions... i know this might be a dumb question... but is this camera digital? and what are the positives about it and the negatives? and if i do get it which store should i buy it from? http://www.dpreview.com/shop/merchants.asp?id=canon_s2is that site has the prices below it thanks. and if you have any other input please put it!

ps. and why do some stores have such a high price and some such low prices? does it matter what store you get it from or doesnt it?

yes it is, and its not a bad camera at that. what are the prices that you are seeing, it seems that the standard for it is between $350-$400.

mark

price differences are based mostly on gray and U.S. models. I would buy only from a rep dealer, or at least make sure you are getting a U.S. model with warrenty and not an import (gray market) with us warrenty.

There also can be significant price points between dealers, but you likely will get the best price from an online outfit that does not have to have a store front. If you buy online, it may be tough to get help if it breaks or you just need some pointers.

could you look at the internet site on the prices and tell me what you think would be the best one to buy? i have no idea about cameras sorry...

i just bought the S2 IS a few months ago and i think it is a great camera. The image stabilizing makes it really nice to shoot in low light situations and still be able to handle hold it at slower speeds. the 12x optical zoom also is a really nice feature on this camera. all of the pictures have been crystal clear that ive taken. ive taken almost 1500 pictures on mine so far and i haven't had one thing wrong with it. i would highly recommend this camera.

Hey joe, i cant make your purchase decisions for you. You will have to put some effort into this. You get out of photography what you put into it, including learning equipment. Just take all the advise we have given you and make a decision on which to buy.

You have enough information to move foward with a purchase, now go spend that hard earned cash and get shooting!

Take care,

>i just bought the S2 IS
>a few months ago and
>i think it is a
>great camera. The image stabilizing
>makes it really nice to
>shoot in low light situations
>and still be able to
>handle hold it at slower
>speeds. the 12x optical
>zoom also is a really
>nice feature on this camera.
>all of the pictures have
>been crystal clear that ive
>taken. ive taken almost
>1500 pictures on mine so
>far and i haven't had
>one thing wrong with it.
> i would highly recommend
>this camera.

I will echo that. It is a very easy camera to hold, handle, and play with. Here are my suggestions

Definately get a 1 Gb card, and a card reader. The card reader will save your batteries when downloading pictures to the computer.

Get a good tripod, and use it. At 12x zoom, even with the IS feature, you will get out of focus from camera shake.

Get rechargeable batteries. YOu will thank me once you find out how digitals EAT batteries.

With the 1 Gb card, you aren't afraid to take more pictures than you think necessary, and play with the different settings.
(I like the Vivid Setting). the landscape panorama (picture - stitch) setting will let you line up a BIG panorama picture. Very cool.

I think the camera combines a number of good attributes of a point and shoot and a DSLR.

I just bought a camera online from Buydig.com. It has full warrantee. Not grey market. I was pleased with the ordering service. There was a 10 day return policy. I think they are legit. They had the best price too. They sent me an order confirmation, and then a shipping order with a tracking number, etc. I would use them again.

Steve

I bought one about a year ago and am very happy with it. I purchased it at Fred Meyer and I noticed lately that they have had it for sale around 399.00. I think I paid around 499.00.

>Rocky,
>Did you buy your camera locally
>or off the internet?
>
>Brian

I bought it at the Shutterbug in Petaluma. Pricetag on the shelf was $499. I talked them into throwing in a 1Gb card, Rechargeable batteries, battery charger, and a one night digital photography class in for that price.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom