Capitan Wilderness

LR31

Drew the muzzleloader elk hunt in 37. Planning to start scouting next month and wonder if it's worth hiking into the Capitan Mountains Wilderness. Not looking for anyones honey hole, but I do enjoy getting away from masses so to speak. Thx

I'm sure it would be very worthwhile. The elk will get pushed around some by the three archery hunts before you so they are likely to head to the roadless area.

We've seen some good elk sign in the very top in the past. Take forest road 56 to the dead end at the wilderness and then hike the ridge to the peak. The bulls are likely to hang out on the ridges on warm days to get the best breeze.

Good luck!

I agree with Wailing4Wapiti, however, do not overlook the flats out there. I see more elk and deer there than on top. I saw the biggest elk of my life right off the road in encinoso. Check out west mountain and the north side of the wilderness. Also the southwest side. BIG BULLS in this unit!

Ryan

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom