CARIBOU HUNTING ADAK ISLAND, AK

cabuck

Looking for info on this hunt. Heard the outfitter had a booth at S.C.I. in Reno. Has anyone hunted with them before? Can you help me contact him? Heard that they have huge bulls but nothing more. Barren Ground Caribou were transplanted there to help feed military. Have done search on adak island through Yahoo but cannot locate hunting on island. Thanks for the help.

I had not heard of hunting on Adak. If I remember correctly that is like the last island in the chain. Pretty nasty weather out there. Call ##### Rohrer 907-486-5835 and see what he says. He is a very reputable guide/outfitter on Kodiak and can help give you info. I spoke with him two years ago about hunting up there and he was very willing to help even knowing I was going self guided for deer. Good guy.......... Allen Taylor......

Might be Muliple Use Managers out of California. They have been working with The Indians on Native lands to open up their lands to sport hunting and fishing. One of the areas is out on the end of the Aluetion Island chain but can't remember if the area was on Adak Island.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Here's Your Answer!

Call Tim Booch,He is an Alaskan Outfitter.He takes Huge Brown Bears,And Hunts Adak Island for caribou.He takes some giant caribou off the Island!------------------------------------------Tim Booch--------------------------------------------------------P.O Box 2619-----------------------------------------------------Kodiak Ak.99615--------------------------------------------------(907)486-5971----------------------------------------------------GOOD LUCK!-------------------------------------------------------HunterHarry

There are a couple guys on this board that hunt Alaska...akguide and gutpile...try contacting either one of those guys...they can be found roaming the sheep/moose threads...

Scott G.

I don't know much about the Island, I work with a guy that was there 18 months with the Navy. He sent me this photo of a Caribou that was shot there in 99.
careabo.jpg

Nice picture.

ADAK can be a hellhole weather-wise. I've been stuck off the coast on the leeward side of an island there in the middle of the summer with winds blowing over 100 mile/hr while trying to fish stalemate banks. It's either super foggy or super windy.

I'd go to the interior of AK--probably a lot less expensive hunt and it won't cost you an arm & a leg to fly out there.

Hi Carbuck,

I think I talked to you a while back on another board about Adak caribou. The website I was working on is finished. It has just about everything you need to know as far as hunting caribou on Adak is concerned.

www.adakcaribou.com

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff, thanks for taking the time to create this free website and provide info. It probably is pretty rough weather up there by now, my brother in-law used to crab out that way and hide behind Adak when the weather blew too hard.......take care.... Allen Taylor......

Hi guys,
I am abit behind the last posts but I hunted caribou on Adak island in August of 2003. I can tell you first hand, the weather can hurt you if you are not careful. But when it is clear it is probably the most beautiful place I have ever hunted. I took a 425 SCI caribou on the first day of my hunt. I saw several bulls bigger, but didn't connect. Watch the sky if it looks like weather is coming in, head for cover. If the fog drops in and you don't have a working GPS, you are stuck where you are standing. I spent a very memorable night stuck in the tundra, due to us packing out a caribou. The Bering sea is very unforgiving and when a storm comes in from there watch out. I laid in the tall grass with 50+ MPH winds and heavy heavy rain nailing us from dark till dawn. Get the best raingear you can afford. I am not selling anything but I used Helly hansen impertech and it worked good. Also, bring a fishing pole, the fishing was outstanding! Let me know if you need more information.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom