Carrying while archery hunting

NVBirdnBig

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-13 AT 03:26PM (MST)[p]Wanted to get some insight on carrying a sidearm while bowhunting in NV. I understand the regs say  "It is unlawful for any person to: Carry any firearm in the field while hunting under archery regulations."

I understand that many still carry but I was curious about the flexibility of the rules and if anyone had any input. I will be packing in, in the dark, to my hunting area that is full of mountain lions and I would really feel better with my 9mm on my side while on the hike up and at camp. Say I pack the pistol on the hike up, but leave it at camp while actually hunting, would I still get hit violating the regs? The words "in the field while hunting" seem like it opens it up for that option. Just wanted to get some more insight in to this. If all else fails I guess I will carry some bear spray.

Can't speak for Nevada...but I can share some info that might help. Here in CA, I DO carry when I'm bow hunting. Several years ago I called the State Fish and game office and asked if it was legal to carry a firearm during bow season. First answer was..."We would prefer you did not." I pushed for an answer and was told that there is no Fish and Game law that can trump the 2nd amendment. However, he also told me that I should expect to be approached and detained/questioned...and to be prepared for a possible uncomfortable situation. In short...it was explained that it is not legal to "Hunt" with a firearm during bow season...but carrying a firearm and hunting with it are two different things. He also asked that I be tolerant of any Wardens that give me hard time...because I would look just like a poacher. (makes sense) I would be curious as to how they would reply in NV when presented with the same situation?

What are the odds of even seeing a mountain lion? I haven't heard of a lion caused fatality. Leave it in the truck. You will face more dangerous situations in the gas station than you will in the field.

I would be a little more concerned about running into some pot growers or a meth lab than a lion.

Now wolves...I might have a different answer:

Either way, I would rather be prepared than bringing an arrow flinger to a gun fight.

Wish it were like Texas here, where you can carry concealed as long as you have the permit ;)

This is a very good question. My wife's friend is a game warden here in northern Nevada. I will ask him what the consequences are if you are caught, but it is my understanding that you can not carry in the field while pursuing big game. So, if you carry it in to your drop camp and leave it in the tent, you should be ok. I had a late archery tag last year and we had a warden stop in camp and check tags. His last ? was if we had any firearms and I told him I had a pistol in my dads truck. He then asked if I was carrying it in the field. So, I think that answers your question right there. I really think this law stinks. I understand they don't want someone shooting a deer with a pistol on a bow hunt, but my thoughts are if someone is going to be that stupid, they are probably going to do it anyway. I also heard in Utah you can carry as long as you have a cc permit. Don't know if this is true. To be safe, I would call NDOW and make sure. That's your safest bet. Sagebrush, I do agree with you about the gas station thing and though cat fatalities is very rare, the chance is there. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Don't leave valuables in the truck and put a sign on Window stating there are no valuables in truck because of thieves. Either bring it and keep it on you all times. If you decide to carry and you are asked just lie. Government does it to us every single day.

True not many deaths by Mt Lions. However I was followed/stalked by a cat for over a mile all the way to camp. When yelling and throwing rocks doesn't intimidate them you really wish the pistol was not in the truck. Not much sleep that night, or any night on that trip... Now I take the pistol in the pack, and leave it in camp.

Carry a pistol while bow hunting in case a lion might get you? I don't get it, I have put thousands of miles of boot leather on the ground in Nevada and getting killed by a lion never occurred to me, and most of that time I never had a weapon, not even a knife.

Why weigh yourself down with a pistol? why break the law? why worry?
You must be a city boy and I bet your wife's getting nailed while your out hunting anyway, the kids are getting run over or doing drugs(depends on the age).
Honestly, with all that going on why worry about wolves, grizzly bears, and mountain lions killing you in the wild wilderness of Nevada?

Go with your gut instinct in every situation. Wives cheat as much in the country even if they have a few missing teeth and drugs and booze for teens just as bad when they're not pleasing the sheep.

In Utah you can carry IF you have a concealed carry permit. Most concealed weapons are small. But you are carrying a 357 with 7 inch barrel.....then you might have a problem. Although thats the gun I am looking to buy to carry around the mountains. Mostly for bears. I have had alot of run ins with bears here in Utah.

In Idaho it is fully legal to carry while archery hunting. The law just states that you can't use the weapon to aid in harvesting the animal. Obviously, the biggest concern is that folks will fling arrows willy nilly and if they wound the animal, they can finish it off with a handgun.

I had the same question about Nevada muzzleloader as I was planning on carrying a sidearm on a back-country wilderness muzzy hunt. While the rational seem different for muzzleloader season, the only "legal" weapon during that season is indeed a muzzleloader. Can you legally carry during muzzy?

what is wrong with some of you? the law says you cannot carry a firearm while archery hunting. The law doesn't get negated. Don't archery hunt if you cant live without carrying firearms.

When our elected officials start obeying the laws I will. These are our lands, it is my God given right to bear arms, a law given to me by God..not some two faced politician. If park service gets to defend them selves then so do I. If there's nothing to be afraid of in the mountains then they don't need to carry. You want to have a piece In your truck during your travels and you cant leave it there because the local country boys will break into your truck when you're in the mountain so I say carry if your gut says carry. Just make it sm piece. You know how those country boys like that "Deliverance" thing. Go 2nd amendment.

The law aside, and it says that you can't carry a firearm while archery hunting, I would simply look into spray. Most people can't hit accurately enough to make an instant kill shot in an attack situation, and a lion's brain is about the size of a golf ball. Spray is lighter, legal, and easier to hit where you want than a firearm is. JMO.

Heck, I go into lion trees with my hounds and sometimes forget a gun altogether, and when was the last mountain lion attack on a human in NV? And where is this place that is infested with mountain lions? I would be in HEAVEN :)

This spray idea is a good one. There is a very good selection of sprays out there which will reach out and touch. You can get a very good lock box for your truck for cheap and cable it to the seat frame and hid gun under seat if you want to have your gun with you. Don't forget to put the sign on your windows telling the "good ol boys" there's noting of value in your truck. Have a great hunt.

Thanks everyone, aside from Piper who will apparently be banging my wife and hittin the pipe with my son while I am hunting, I appreciate everyones input. I just wanted to get some opinions because I thought the law seemed unclear and I figured it would be good to hear thoughts. I prob won't carry and I am not in any way scared, I am just relatively new to bowhunting (not new to hunting) and this will be my first pack in on an archery hunt. I guess I will just keep to my "city boy" ways and only arm myself when I am walking around the hood in the suburbs of Reno and around all the gangbangers at Costco.

Great response and decision. Not bad for city boy from Reno. I think I'll do Piper's wife while he's doing yours. Only fair. She might like how us city boys get down with deodorant. LOL

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-13 AT 11:29PM (MST)[p]I'm not much of a gun guy myself, part of the reason why I bow hunt I guess. That said, I have had this same thought cross my mind and I do bring my pistol with me on archery hunts but it never leaves base camp. I've been in a few units solo and been real weary of a lion snackin on me but I've never seen one much less been attacked by one! It's just that imagination wondering. The bigger reason why I carry to base camp is people! Waitin for some inbred mutant hillbilly to come try and sew my face to another victims ass, which is probably a little less likely than a lion. You really want to man up, learn how to sword fight with that broad head.

That second amendment argument seems like a valid one at least at face value but the legal fee's may make you wish you were dead. ya ya, god given right, good luck with that.

Semper Fi!

I will excessive my God Given Rights when and where I see fit. In this situation I would carry if I felt like it. If I'm asked if I have a gun I would just look at the over paid officer in the eyes and just say no. You wouldn't be frisked. They lie to us for their survival, life time pensions and perks, I'm lying to them for mine and because I feel like it. When federal, state employees and politicians start obeying the laws and stop playing us for fools, I will. I'm mad as hell and I'm not taking this crap any more. God Given Rights...not by man to be taken away at their whim.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom