Carson Forest Closing Roads

Wailing4Wapiti

Just talked with a Forest Service person who said they are starting to enforce the MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Map) by issuing citations. They plan to enforce it to the letter of the law this fall during the hunting seasons. Here is the annoying part, the new MVUM will not be available until mid june.

The law is that if a road is not on the MVUM, you are in violation if you have a motorized vehicle on it. This is going to be a nightmare as we all know how many people will ignore the rule, pretend they don't know about it or just flat out ignore it. It will also make many places next to impossible to hunt without horses. I'm not opposed to closing many of the roads, just not the ones I like to use. :)

I think this will be good and bad.

The good to it is that hopefully it will help eliminate the amount of roads that everyone seems to make or travel on. Allowing for recovery in the forest and the habitat plus the animals.

The bad - well much like you said, don't close the roads that I like to use... Lol. Not only that, but does this also mean that if we pull off of a road to park our truck and walk to hunt - are they going to cite us for that, too? They better make sure that they have some clear and detailed syntax labeled in this law. As some roads are nearly impossible to pull off on much less make room for any oncoming vehicles.

This will be interesting.

I would seriously hope they allow for you to pull off to the side to either camp or park to hike in.

Ltsheets,

Agreed. That is what we do. Drive to a location, pull off and park the truck, then hike back in. It's not like we pull off onto untraveled ground and tear it up, mostly try to find an area that is big enough and allows for traffic to pass through. Or we pull off on an old logging road or OHV trail, yeah PULL OFF, not continue down it...

LOL not enough time or man power to inforce it... Will ticket a few people. And its roads that are allready closed and still used.No way the guys that have used a road for years will stop.They tried this in 49 and it lasted maybe a year now they just drive around the signs.
Jack

That is one of the biggest problems. Those of us trying to abide by the law and stay on legal roads will still have to account for other access points that we won't use. I.e. it doesn't do any good to hike in two miles in the dark when someone else shows up at first light or even afterwards on a quad or truck.

In my opinion, what they ought to do is start enforcing stringently any currently closed roads and then close a few every year and enforce them. Trying to shut down a ton right off the bat is going to be a nightmare and completely ineffective.

A cousin of mine is an "Asset Manager" for the FS. He indicated that they're not stupid. The gubabamint does not expect perfect compliance the first few years after a change like this, but they will announce the new rule and enforce it. Bummer for you if you get caught, kudos if you obey right away. Beyond that time is on their side: Eventually the rule will be followed.

Cameras and a cell help.
I love it when I find an ATV/truck in a Wilderness/closed area.............they seem to loose parts and a LEO truck usually picks them up.

Time will tell... but I'm not optimistic. The guys that drive buy closed signs will continue to do so... they feel its their right to use the land as they see fit. And its not just hunters wood cutters do it just as much if not more than hunters.
Jack

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom