Casper Area

kilowatt

My friend and I plan on going to Casper this summer and then do some pre-scouting once we get drawn for this falls hunt.

Would like some advice on which Motels in that area are nice, clean and close to restaurants. We wil be there for about 3-4 days and the only place I heard of that is a "Don't bother is the Motel 6"......the ones that work/own it don't like hunters and were rude to. I don't want some high price place either.
Summer time I am sure it is busy there in Casper, so would like to find some place now and pick a date in July to drive there and look around the area.

Also how about Meat Processors in that area, I found one by the name of PEARCE CUSTOM MEATS. Are they good and any other recs on processors in that area.

Brian

Brian, I stayed at the Parkway Plaza 1-800-270-7829, they're located right off the interstate exit 188A. They cater to hunters & their rates are pretty good. You'll be within a mile or so of the restaurants & a Sportsmans Warehouse. I use Arrowhead Meat Processing on Industrial Ave., 307-473-5492. They do a great job, packed my antelope in dry ice & they had it ready for me at the time i needed it. Let me know if you need anything else.

7 Mag

Casper motels are generally expensive. Hampton in is nice, as is any of the new ones on the east side, but they are further from restaurants. Parkway always treats people good, but it is older and not as updated.
As far as meat cutters, Pearce's is awesome to deal with and do a nice job.
Good Luck
WyMo

Plow's Diner. E. Y'stone P'way. Easy to miss, but head East past Beverly and find a hole amongst the garages to your left(North). Good Food.

I stayed at the Comfort last Sept for 2 days. Nice and close to several good restaurants right there on the same hill. I forget the hotel west of it but it wasn't so nice when we went in to look at a room. The KOA up at Barr Nun has some little camper cabins and is VERY nice and clean! NOTHING in walking distance there though. Call ahead and reserve one for sure if you head that way. Nice tent sites with walls to stop the wind also there!

Down towards Alcova seems to be building up and you might find something there if you look around on a free day if you are fishing or whatever around Grey Reef etc.

Pat C.

The rates sure go up during hunting season!
Me & the kid stayed in a small room in Douglas on our way back last fall and it ran about 90 bucks a night for a single queen.
Fishing up north, that same room runs about 40 bucks.
For a nice hot shower after a long week in the hills it was worth it though.
HH

There are several new hotels in the Casper area, so I would shop around for the best deal. You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

The best meat processor in the Casper area is Dan's Meats. They are located in Evansville, WY. I would call them ahead of time to make sure they have room. They get really busy because they are the best.

stayed at the super 8 a couple years ago. they were real nice, and seemed to welcome hunters. rooms pretty clean, rates decent. one thing that was great is that they put out a simple buffet breakfast VERY early. so you can grab a muffin, OJ, coffee, toast, waffle, etc... on your way out to the field.

> They get really busy
>because they are the best.

So do you have any objective info to support them as being the best or does yer brother in law work there? I'm always looking for a place that does good jerky and sausage. If Dan's is best, who are the others in town that yer comparing them to?

Every processor in Casper gets busy during hunting season. We take our stuff to Pats up in Mills. They do a good job and have the best breakfast sausage IMO. We were a little disappointed with last year though. Brought our last animals in on a Sunday late afternoon and told them we were wanting to pick them up on Wed. morning. They said there is a two day rush charge. We told them that they'll have the animals more than two days...the rest of Sunday afternoon/night and Monday and Tuesday. They still charged us $100 rush charge per animal. It left a bad taste in my mouth. May look for somewhere else this year. We've gone there for 14 or 15 years.

Steve

My apologizes, I will re-word that for you. They get really busy because, in my opinion, they are best. Thanks for correcting me.

No, I have no relation that works for any meat processors in the Casper area. Based upon your response, maybe you do.

Good luck on "yer" search on a place that makes good jerky and sausage.

I had a guy in the Casper Sportsman's Warehouse recommend Dan's to me 2 years ago and said he used them personally. I hunt pretty far east of Casper most years and so use Herrick and ?? on the bypass there on the western edge of Douglas. I just might need Dan's this fall though if I draw that mule deer tag I want.

Pat C.

Still lettin' strangers touch yer meat, eh?
Don'tcha know you can catch unexpected tings from dat?

Some real nice folks down below Alcova Dam that have a gas station/store/cabins for rent type thing. They are very nice, very clean and very nice to hunter/fisherman folks. Ive stayed there a few times myself now and it isnt outrageous priced either. Fishing would be a possibility too if your that close. I can get their name and number if your interested ? Let me know, Gary

funny you mention the motel 6 in casper, i stayed there a few years ago, and when i checked in i had some blood on my face i didnt know about, the clerk asked me if i just got done killing sombody, i said no, i was pronghorn hunting, she says "same thing"! i was shocked, and wondered if i was still in wyoming.

The dam place :) down at Alcova Res. closes after Labor Day. That was what they told us when we stopped in around the 12th or so of the month anyway.

Pat C.

Have used Pearce for the last several years and they have taken good care of us. They place out of state hunters ahead of us local guys on their priority list so you won't have to wait. Next day service is usually extra, but my dad and brother had their goats processed in two days. Last year was about 80 bucks per goat, plus extra processing for head, antlers etc...

I've hunted in the area for years. The Motel 6 used to be horrible. The front desk gals were rude and openly told us they dont support hunting. Then they never cleaned our room despite numerous requests to do so. We even ran out of TP and they wouldn't replace it! I called and complained. Someone from Motel 6 called me back and fell all over themselves to apologize. They comped me my next stay. Supposedly the problem employees have been removed and it is under either new ownership or management. So with my comp I stayed there again last year and had no problems at all. Hopefully they have turned the corner for the better. A hotel being anti hunting in the Fall in Casper, WY is business suicide.

Pearce's does a great job at a reasonable price and are very friendly. I highly recommend them.

Dan's is the best meat processor in the Casper area and I might say the Rockies.

I lived in Casper for 7 years and never used anybody else and I haven't found anyone better in the 3 areas (AK, CO and WA)I've lived since then.

I don't have any affiliation with Dan's I just think quality work and good customer service should be rewarded.

This is not a shot at Dans Meats but a guy that hunts the same ranch I do in WY took his 2008 deer to Dans. When he went to pick it up, they had accidentally given the meat to someone else. He obviously complained and went home with no meat. After further communications with Dan's, they made it right the best way possible and sent him a check for $500. We all know that these things happen with processors and the quantity of animals they process. I think it was a fair resolution and good business to cut the hunter a check. What else could they have done?

Steve

I think that's a respectable business man! He made a mistake & he made it right for his customer.

7 Mag

The best way to tell how good a business is by how they deal with a problem like that. Being human we're all going to have a mistake now and then Im afraid and when someone does that its a stand up operation in my book. Means more to me than anything

well kilowatt for you i'd say i have a set of bunkbeds and the wife isn't that bad of cook.
hopefully my oldest will not move back home AGAIN with her two kids by then.

Hey bigpig,
If I was out of TP and they wouldn't replace it I'd either be usin' the curtains or the towels !!

I stayed at the Super 8 in casper last fall, and the hotel was descent enough, and the people seemed nice. The previous fall I stayed at the Casper East RV park, and rented one of there cabins. These were great people, and they were several other hunters in the park, so in the evenings, we would enjoy our refreshments, and shoot the bull with other hunters. The only draw back was the cabins did not have restrooms, or showers. You had to use the public RR & SHowers. They were clean, it just was a pain if you had to get up and go in the night. It was very inexpensive, only about $30.00 a night.

"Easy now, keep the croshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze the trigger"

Correct me if wrong, but.............

Isn't Motel 6 owned by Accor? They contribute to anti-hunting causes if am recall correctly. This causes me conflict when looking for a low price room, I just can't support an outfit that's contributing to the greenie cause.....

again, correct me if wrong....

good luck this season

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom