Cedar as cover scent?

huntswnm

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-05 AT 06:42PM (MST)[p]I am thinking about using the cedar pellets you can get from wally world and put a few in my plastic bins I keep my hunting clothes in. There are some cedars in the area I hunt, but the don't smell like a cedar chest! Maybe a little after you cut them. Will this smell be too much?? I will be hunting elk soon. Thanks.
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I think it might be to strong, Just take a few branches and rub them on your clothes and you will be fine, You still have to hunt the wind. I use Sage where I hunt but I still hunt the wind.

I have used cedar oil that comes in a spray bottle. Works very well. I also think using cedar branches workes just as good.

ck

My experience is that the elk will either smell you or they wont, regardless of what cover scent you are wearing. Cover scents probably wont hurt but I think the benefits are VERY limited. Weather you smell a little like a human or alot like a human, you are still a predetor to the elk. I have seen some positive results from scent blocking suits if hunting stationary over water or from a blind/stand. The terrain I hunt it is impossible to keep from prespiring, after a few days in the hills, I can hardly stand myself. I wear tan while calling elk (I dont reccomend unless you are a LONG way from other hunters) If it comes down to a bull smelling me or having to change set ups at the last minute and risk being seen, I will move, sometimes in VERY limited or no cover, and I get away with it more often than you would think. A bull might be mistaken on what they saw (or thought they saw) their eyes can be fooled, but nothing smells like a human. Good luck and be safe in the woods.
Bittersweet

I think it would work but you still have to work the wind. When hunting in the pines I spray my boots and clothing with a solution of diluted pinesol and water. For me this works just as good as some of the expensive odor neutralizer solutions.

I use Cedar & Pine cover scents by Wildlife Research. My cousin turned me on to them several years ago and swears by it. We used it a couple years ago when we took a trophy elk down in a small canyon. The wind was swirling and un-predictable. I called in the bull which came into 30 yards of my cousin who shot it. You still at all possible want to keep yourself downwind when getting close. I think the cover scents help in the situation we were in and also when game tries to circle you to wind you. The scents come in small bottles which are easy to keep in your pack. I spray my hat and shoes lightly before heading out in the field.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom